Thread: Teaching Tools

ffield
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Teaching Tools

I am interested in getting feedback on teaching tools for children in the form of video. Since many of you do visit schools as part of fire prevention education what kinds of videos would be helpful in working with the children?

SRVFD2
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

I only have two in my library for that purpose (because I don't have a budget!) Be Cool About Fire Safety is very good, and easy to get. State Farm Ins. has one I like may be even better called "Smoke Detectives." Kids love both of these. If you need help finding the source, let me know - or I'm sure firefighteranne knows!!
    Good luck!

ffield
    Firehouse.com Guest

Originally posted by SRVFD2:
    I only have two in my library for that purpose (because I don't have a budget!) Be Cool About Fire Safety is very good, and easy to get. State Farm Ins. has one I like may be even better called "Smoke Detectives." Kids love both of these. If you need help finding the source, let me know - or I'm sure firefighteranne knows!!
    Good luck!
    Thanks for the feedback.I am trying to put together a series for airing on our TV station.Its aimed at children with the hope we can teach them how serious it is to play with fire.If it works we will make the series avialable to firefighters and schools.
    Thanks again
    ffield@wwortv.com

firefighteranne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

SRVFD2, you flatter me!

I also like The Smoke Detectives and What's Cool About Fire Safety. In addition, we use Sparky's ABC's of Fire Safety by the NFPA, A Lighter is Not a Toy, also by the NFPA (that one is for parents and other caregivers of young children.) For older children I like Katie and Max Make a Choice, produced by the Salem (OR) Fire Department. It shows what happens when two children make a bad choice and play with matches.

Thread Information