Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Fire Prevention Inspections by Volunteers

I am a Deputy Chief of an 85 member volunteer department trying to establish a fire inspection program using volunteers. We currently are only able to inspect schools within our response area due to time restraints of the volunteers. I am seeking any information on inspection programs, and how they are funded. I would like to be able to compensate the volunteers for their inspection time. We protect a population of about 35,000, and answer about 700 alarms per year. We have a good balance of commercial and industrial properties. Anyone with any suggestions please respond. Thanks, John A. Borgmann, Deputy Chief, Washington Volunteer Fire Department, Washington, MO

Forum Member

I run out of an all Vol. dept. Which is actually paid on call. We have an inspection bureau which inspects new buildings and old buildings, we have a heavy industrial also and our chief is you could say head of the inspection dept. and another inspector which is one of our f.f. helps out. As far as I know not only is the f.f paid on call he is also paid for inspections. Once in awhile one of us will go with him that is totally voluntary. Hope that helps a little.
    Proud to be IACOJ Illinois Chapter--Deemed "Crustworthy" Jan, 2003

Forum Member

It is good to see that inspections are being conducted. Preplaning may be more advantage to you as well when they conduct the inspection.

AS far as funding, adopt a fee schedule locally. Either work with the town to adopt a local ordiance or establish one within the FD that assess a fee for each inspection.

I.E . Building under 500sqft. cost $35.00
    501-2000 sq. ft $45.00
    2001-5000 sqft. $55.00
    5001-up $100.00
    Reinspections are $25.00
    This becomes a user fee Bureau and only is designed to cover actual costs. Just be careful about the classification of Volunteer and fees schedules.

Bravo to you for thinking of implementing a program that would aid you greatly. Having served on in paid departments I am not well suited to answer a specific question about volunteers, except to say a fee might be in order. Nothing outrageous of course! I am emailing my friends in the IFMA and see if any of them have any bright ideas!

Warmest Regards,

J

Thread Information