Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question wall covering in classrooms

How many of you had to address the amount of paper, cardboard and projects some teachers put up in their classrooms.
    How did you approach it?

Forum Member

2.10.1.1. Combustible artwork and teaching materials that are attached to walls shall not exceed 20 per cent of the area of the walls.

Not sure where in Canada you are GPM, but the Ontario Fire Code addresses this as above. If you are doing an inspection on the school, you write it up as with anything else. If you are a concerned parent, mention it to your childs teacher and if no action go to the principal, if still not action approach you local Fire Prevention Branch and advise them. Once a complaint is received most FPO's are obligated to act.
    IACOJ

Forum Member

2.10.1.1. Combustible artwork and teaching materials that are attached to walls shall not exceed 20 per cent of the area of the walls.

Not sure where in Canada you are GPM, but the Ontario Fire Code addresses this as above. If you are doing an inspection on the school, you write it up as with anything else. If you are a concerned parent, mention it to your childs teacher and if no action go to the principal, if still not action approach you local Fire Prevention Branch and advise them. Once a complaint is received most FPO's are obligated to act.
    IACOJ

yes it is the same here, and I did write it up.
    Now they think I'm Scrooge. I don't think they understand the implications of flame spread.

Wish I had some material to give them on it.

Forum Member

Sorry, didn't mean to post that twice lol.
    The rotten thing about Fire Prevention is enforcement. No matter what you do, no one is going to be happy about it. It doesn't have all the happy, fun stuff like the education part of it does. However, having said that, alot of enforcement IS education. You need to properly educate them WHY it is necessary for them to restrict the number of items on the walls. By the way, did you realize that means coats etc hanging on hooks? Most schools don't include them!! Advise them that all it takes is one kid in the school with a lighter and a firestarting problem and guess what? You have an out of control fire going right up the hallway. Then what? I'm not sure if any actual educational material exists or not on this subject. Check with your provincial Fire Marshals Office. They may be able to help you.

Good Luck!
    IACOJ

Thumbs up

Hi:

Here's what we did...we had the school put up a 1-inch wide corkboard strip about 6 feet up across every wall they want to hang artwork on. Whatever they can tack to it can stay.

[ 12-07-2001: Message edited by: 9C7 ]

Stay Safe.
    You asked for my opinion, now you have it. Any similarity to another opinion, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Any time I have a school that is reluctant to comply with any directive, I ask them to read the book "To sleep with the Angels". Teachers tend to rethink their attitudes toward Fire safety after reading it. I highly recommend that any Pub-ed people out there who haven't read it, do so! To me it is a must read for those in our business

Can't agree more about reading the book concerning Our Lady of the Angels. It should be required reading for all school teachers. I find in the schools it is a matter of education and sometimes it can be difficult to put the teachers on the recieving side. The 20% rule is a never ending battle that must be re-enforced evertime you go into the school. Keep the faith.
    Mark W. Tetreault, Fire Marshal
    Durham Fire Department
    51 College Road
    Durham, NH 03824
    (603)862-1426
    FAX 862-1426
    mtetreault@ci.durham,nh.us

Thumbs up

Someone has to be the bad guy/gal to make things safe that others can't or don't want to see !!
    Hang tough and do whats right !!

Contact the Kansas State Fire Marshal's office at 785-296-3401
    They have a video titled "Hall of Flame"
    This is a short video (5 minutes) about decoration in schools.

Thread Information