Thread: Sprinklers

Post Sprinklers

A few years ago we passed a residential sprinkler code for homes voer 3000 square feet. Last year we passed one for commercial structures over 3000 square feet. The local real estate community decided they could no longer turn a profit trying to sell sprinklered properties. They have put a referandom on the ballot trying to get rid of the requirement on commercial structures (they though it was on residential but got the wrong one) . Anyone had to fight this battle. Any advice.....

Forum Member

you might contact national fire sprinkler assoc. for help

PUBLIC ED, PUBLIC ED, PUBLIC ED!!! The City of Mesa, Arizona passed a zero-based residential sprinkler ordinance a couple of years ago. The Home Builders Assoc (et al) promptly filed for a referendum. The fire department's hands were tied and they were not allowed (by whom I do not know) to engage in a large-scale public education campaign. They lost the ordinance 60% to 40%. The fallout from the loss of sprinklers has yet to be felt but it will.

My advice is to go door-to-door, mall-to-mall, school-to-school, and newspaper-to-newspaper to educate the public on the benefits of residential (and commercial) sprinklers. Use videos and, if possible, demonstration burn trailers to get the point across. Show the public the difference! I feel that a well educated public in Mesa would have voted differently but they never had the chance to learn the truth. They heard half the story and voted on rumors and half-truths.

Please, don't let this happen in your community. Contact the Home Fire Sprinkler Coalition at http://www.lukensburdick.com/HFSCtest/HFSCnewweb/web2.html

Best wishes!

Lightbulb

Hello Payson!

On September 11, 2001, we witnessed one of the largest losses ever experienced from fire in the world. When the statistics were released I noticed a startling coincidence.

Nearly 4000 individuals and Public Safety personell were lost that day and an estimated $11 Billion Dollars in property damage occured. The whole world fell silent with grief and then joined voices to proclaim - "It will not happen again!" We have taken swift and specific actions to safeguard our citizens.

Funny thing- Each year the US experiences almost the identical losses- 4000 fire deaths, at least 100 fire fighters included, and around $11 Billion in property damage. We just do it a day at a time, in Joplin, Mo., Sacramento, Ca., Wabash, Wisconsin, Burlington, Vermont..... and we suffer the losses silently, 2 or 3, or 7 at a time. A fellow firefighter is lost in the search for a child......

I think this paints a graphic picture for our citizenry. It is certainly a powerful one. We need to find some way to get people to see our collective loss, the thousands of loved ones taken from us.

Fire touches all classes and visits all communities. Residential fires don't occur because someone was careless, or because the home was older. Fires burn mobile homes and mansions alike and our grief is just as great collectively as we felt on Sept. 11. We just don't connect them.

Talk to your neighbors, your fellow firemen, your realtor, and your childs teacher. Then resolve to install sprinklers in your home this year. Ask a neighbor for help. Do it yourself and then install a system in your parents home. Personal education and commitment to Residential fire safety will break down the barriers of ignorance. Lead Through Example!!!!!!

Call me at 602 954 0381 and I will come to Payson and help you. Whatever you do - make a commitment yourself. God will sort out the rest.

Mark Phillips
    NICET III Sprinkler Designer
    17 years experience.
    Sprinkler system installed in my home.
    Mark Phillips<br />HydraTank, LLC.<br />Phoenix, Arizona

Residential sprinklers have been a topic of discussion in many areas of NC for some time. One fire dept. I know of installs them in HUD homes.

The number one contributor to the resistance is our personal freedom. You just cannot convince most people that the expense is worth it. The ole’ “It will not happen to me” attitude will always prevail in this country. Another problem in some small communities is, I hate to say, the fire department. I have heard comments like; “They are trying to put us out of a job.”

The education process is a start. Beyond that, if this program is one of top priority, you will need to get into the political realm and begin lobbying for support. Not only from the politicians, but the citizens too. Keep in mind that Dollars vs. Benefit will always be of top concern, so you must be prepared to shift the tide in your favor.

Good Luck

First off let me thank you all for your comments. As you all know this is a tough subject and any new angle on it is very helpful. It seems like every time we Start to get people educated that another bogus story pops up. The two major things now are that the Ballot item is poorly written so that is reason enough to vote no and that it is just more big government and the educated consumer should be able to choose. It is kind of funny because one day all of the candidates "did'nt know a thing about the issue" and the next day they had all magically deduced the same thing. We have had some major problems funding our side but have recently received some help from our brothers, hats off to them we cannot thank them enough. We continue to work diligently at this and I will keep you posted as to the results. Again thank you for your help.....

MembersZone Subscriber

I believe it is the Arizona Revised Statutes (i.e. State Law) that prohibited the City of Mesa from spending public monies to either support or oppose a public referendum item.

It seems a little silly that the people responsible for ensuring the safety of life and property against fire cannot comment or provide input on the subject, but that is the law.

It also is not the first or last time that the people that understand the issues are forbidden by the politics of the issue from informing the electorate.

We currently have a law proposed by the legislature that will tie our hands when it come to protecting firefighters and the public, but I'm not allowed to talk with anyone about it. The politics prohibit me from expressing my opinion and even discussing it with my colleagues in the fire department.

Check with Redmond Washington. They enacted a similar ordinance a few years ago, I am not sure what problems they have encountered since.

Default Choose your battle carefully

It sounds to me as though tere are bigger fish to fry in Arizona than residential sprinklers. Don't get me wrong, I'm not opposed to promoting them, but I think there are bigger issues at stake. My take on the situation (based solely upon what I have read here in this forum) is that this law that clamps the silencer ever so tightly on the citizens of Arizona presents a serious encroachment on your 1st Amendment rights; i.e. freedom of speech.

This law sounds as though it does more harm than good. If the people of your state are concerned about big government, then they should start being concerned with a government that is slapping a gag order on public safety personnel and forcing the efforts towards fire prevention and fire safety back into the dark ages by making them illegal.

In order to protect the right to promote and participate in fire prevention and fire safety activities in the future, along with neighborhood watches and crime prevention activities, hunting and gun safety, weather emergency safety initiatives, health risk and safety issues, seat belt laws, drunk driving reduction, safe boating or any similar concerns that benefit the public, it seems to me that you need to back up a little and redraw your battle lines at this issue, before they shut down all efforts to assist and educate the public in an effort to promote their safety and well being. I can understand to a degree, not wanting to spend public dollars for advertising, but to literally gag all public employees is taking it over the edge.

It may seem as though I'm over reacting, but I believe that if your going to kill the weed that is taking over the garden, you need to cut it off at the roots, not just the visible part out on top.
    Lead by example...
    Safety first...
    Always

MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs up Residential Sprinkler Update

Hello all. A couple of items of good news.

The City of Phoenix, AZ has adopted a new fire sprinkler ordinance. All commercial structures will be sprinklered with very few exceptions. All sungle family residences over 5000 square feet will also be required to be protected.

The members of the National Fire Protection Association voted to require sprinkler protection in all residential occupancies, as a part of their new Building Code, NFPA 5000. The requirement still have to be approved by the NFPA Standards Council, and is still subject to proceduarl appeals until then, but, with luck, it will be included in the standard.

YIFP (Yours in Fire Prevention),
    Dwight

Thread Information