Question PDA (palm pilot) based inspections

Our department currently uses "Firehouse" software to maintain our occupancy inspection database. We have several forms to choose from which we use to do the inspection. We are looking into using PDAs to conduct the inspections and then sync them to a database at the end of the day. "Firehouse" cannot support this kind of technology. We have looked at MS Access and found it to be compatible with our goal but have not field tested it. Does anyone else use this kind of method in conducting inspections? Our goal is to potentially provide a one-stop service (inspect, print forms and permits right on the site). Any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Chad
    Chad

Wink

Sounds like the same idea I have...in the Sprinkler Age magazine (by The American Fire Sprinkler Assoc.) they have an advertisement called "The Inspector" that is designed for Palm Pilots. Check their web site and see if this is what you are looking for...: www.tfdsi.com
    Let me know..
    Lt. Sally Mirise
    smccannmirise@libertytwp.org

[ 01-24-2002: Message edited by: smirise ]

Smile

Thank you for that tip. What they offer looks pretty good. Our prevention bureau is now looking at this and another one we found. Its at http://www.pencomputersoulutions.com
    What they offer is to build a PDA inspection program to our exact specifications and to provide the ability to upload to any database including our Firehouse software. They are quite a bit more expensive but since what they create will become our property, we can go in with several other departments and split the cost. I spoke with a representative and he indicated that they quickly learned that selling a prepackaged program wasn't the way to go for them since every fire department wants it taylored to the way they do business. We're hoping to move into one of these types of programs this year. Thanks again for the information.
    Chad
    Chad

I've never used it, but FirePrograms advertises a PDA compatible version of their software. Their software is very much like Firehouse.

Forum Member

Thumbs up Pen Based Inspection Systems

www.wsmithassoc.com
    Emergency Software Products, Inc. has a pen-base inspection program and is working on a palm pc inspection program. If you are interested I could send you a demo cd. Just e-mail me at Chiefws@aol.com

Chad,

We are reviewing a program called "Field Ace".. We like you are looking for a compatible program. Let me know if you find something that looks good. thanks

MembersZone Subscriber

Default PocketInspections

There is a company in Deerfield Beach, Fl, Advanced Public Safety that has a fully developed handheld fire inspection solution that allows you to conduct your fire inspection, print the report on-site and then download the information back at the office.
    The system reports are fully customized to your needs.
    www.aps.us

Thread Information