Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    SwiftH20-News
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Time for a category name change

Hey guys! Don't you think it's time to "get current" and retire the old-fashioned and often incorrect title "underwater rescue" and substitute SWIFTWATER & FLOOD RESCUE instead?

There's a major difference between "rescue" and "recovery", and for waaaaaaaay too long, agencies have focused far too little effort on providing personnel with proper swiftwater rescue training and equipment, let alone flood RESCUE planning and coordination.

I do not intend to "disrespect" those who do dive-recovery and other water rescue missions. It just seems that the terms "dive-rescue" or "underwater-rescue" are a bit misleading since they rarely involve rescues, but more often involve recovery...

Just a thought.

[This message has been edited by SwiftH20-News (edited July 28, 2000).]

ADSN/WFLD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well I can't argue with you. he vast majority of actual calls we go on are recovery (body, car, evidence) But we train for "the big one" were we can make a real difference.

As for a name change, I feel it's like the SOP/SOG debate. If we change our name will we do anything different? At liest when the public hears Dive Rescue they assume divers will be entering the water after a drowning victim, who knows what what the public will think of swiftwater & Flood Rescue.

After all, a lot of us respond to EMS calls 3/4 of the time. Should we change our name to Paramedic department, or Ambulance district.

Warren Vaughn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

You bring up a good point. My department is in the process of starting a team as we type. We are starting basically from nothing exvept a group of folks that have gone to dive schools on there own and bought their own gear.
    This is going to be interesting to see what they call themselves.

------------------
    W J Vaughn

SwiftH20-News
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am here to cheer you on. Water RESCUE, not just dive-recovery, is a skill that is long overdue both for the protection for fire-rescue personnel, and for the lifesaving potential with victims.

Anyone interested in networking with some of the leaders in swiftwater/flood rescue are welcome to visit this news group where you can exchange ideas, check the files and links section, etc.
    http://www.Egroups.com/group/SwiftH2O-News

The model exists in several places for an effective swiftwater/flood rescue plan. No need to reinvent the wheel. Just tailor it to your community.

How many lives could be saved if only more communities had the basic skills to handle aquatic rescue???

Good luck!

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Swiftwater rescue and dive Rescue/Recovery are two different showrings in the same Water rescue circus (I know that analogy sucks, but hey I'm tired). Why not create a forum for Swiftwater rescue. That way, us bubbleheads can share Ideas, etc., and you rockscrapers can do the same, and we won't be stepping on each others toes. I just feel that they are to different to be on the same forum. Just my two cents.

Craig Walker
    Crowley FD, URRT.

Firediver
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Swiftwater rescue and dive Rescue/Recovery are two different showrings in the same Water rescue circus (I know that analogy sucks, but hey I'm tired). Why not create a forum for Swiftwater rescue. That way, us bubbleheads can share Ideas, etc., and you rockscrapers can do the same, and we won't be stepping on each others toes. I just feel that they are to different to be on the same forum. Just my two cents.

Craig Walker
    Crowley FD, URRT.

SwiftH20-News
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

A common sense answer!

Of course, a NEW CATEGORY needs to be set up for SWIFTWATER & FLOOD RESCUE.

FIREHOUSE.COM are you paying attention???

Time to get current, so to speak!

Thanks!

fyrfitr42
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello,

Is it possible to have a "WATER RESCUE"
    forum where All types of water rescue can be discussed? Maybe have sub catagories for different types?

Just a thought!!!

Stay safe and WEAR YOUR PFDS!! We just lost a brother to water in Denver.

------------------
    ~~John Troyer~~
    Firefighter/EMT
    Sedgwick County Fire Dept
    Tech. Rescue Station #37

dgt54
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our urban department has named the specialty team responsible for water rescue and marine firefighting the "Marine Operations Team". This is all inclusive, if it deals with boats and water, it's "Marine Operations" responsibility. Our SOP/SOG's have been written to reflect this and generally follow protocals of the policy setters (USCG,USN, NFPA, etc). We do not do underwater RECOVERY and a police dive team is dispatched should there be a need. dgt

Perry2085
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

By all means I agree!!! I think it is time to switch the name to "SWIFTWATER & FLOOD RESCUE". Hope they make the change!

Dan Ulrich
    Perry2085
    ulrich@perryfire.org

MarkP
    Firehouse.com Guest

There is a fine line to be drawn between Rescue involving a Dive Team and Rescue involvingh a Firts Responder. The liabilities of being a Dive Rescue team are great. The name implies that you are able to respond and perform as a Dive team the same way you respond as a First Responder. If your average response time and rescue actions to a car wreck, house fire with a person trapped, or heart attack is the SAME as your response time and rescue actions to a drowning - you are a Dive Rescue Team. Otherwise, you are a Dive Recovery or just Dive Team. We still want to practice and train for rescue but if we cannot get to the scene and put rescueres in and under the water in the same amount of time we can get to a heart attack victim, we should not accept the liability and responsibility of Dive Rescue.

Dive teams around the world face the same problems when dealing with administrations. One thing we share a concern over is Dive Team SOPs. For the past 5 years I have administered the Dive Team SOP Project. If your dive team is newly formed or old and established, you should have a written SOP. Even the new NFPA 1670 Standard requires a written SOP for yoiur team.

The SOP Project is simple. I have accumulated over 70 different Dive Team SOPs from a wide variety of groups and institutions. If you are writing a new SOP, I will send you a few complete SOPs that you can copy and paste from. We have found this to be one of the simplest ways to write a new SOP. If you are updating and existing SOP, the ability to see what other teams are doing or what they feel is important can help you improve your existing SOP.

If you have an existing SOP, please consider emailing a copy to me for inclusion in the project.

Mark Phillips
    mphill9929@aol.com

rsqguru
    Firehouse.com Guest

I believe we need to use the Water Rescue Forum for topics on this whole catergory. We see a lot more interest at this time in swiftwater, moving water and flood rescue. I live in NC, and my team (NCSF-1) spent ten days in eastern part of the state doing water rescue. Moreover, we saw a venue for both swiftwater and dive team operations in the areas where we responded. The swiftwater was the immediate need and dive work for recovery after the water receeded and became a pond in nature. Lets change the forum name and come to terms with all that is "WATER RESCUE."

Thread Information