Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Forum Member

Default whats the difference

What is the difference between a rescue diver and a public safety diver. I have asked other people and no one seems to know.
    FDNY never will we forget

I am only going to respond to this because I need the board time.
    Can you tell me the difference between a "fireman" and a "firefighter"?
    What is the definition of "is"?
    Okay, now that we have that established, threoretically, a rescue diver is a driver who actually performs a "rescue," and he/she may also be a public safety diver.
    A public safety diver basically is a public servant, i.e., fire or law enforcement, that performs u/w search and salvage, body recovery, evidency recovery and also performs u/w rescue.
    There may be those who will argue with that definition, but that is pretty much it in a nut shell.

MembersZone Subscriber jsdobson's Avatar

When I got my open water certificate from SSI, I piggy-backed that with a Public Safety Diver certificate. In searching SSI's list of courses, I do not find a "rescue diver certification."
    BE SAFE
    Before Everything, Stop And First Evaluate

Forum Member

What I have been told by some others was that a Rescue diver is a term that Padi uses and a public safety diver has different training and as earlier stated is usually affiliated with a Fire Dept.,Police Dept. or some type of public service group. Thanks for the replies.
    FDNY never will we forget

MembersZone Subscriber davidhwebb's Avatar

Default ResQ & PSD Diving

OK, yea, I'm slow. It's the story of my life!

I say it depends on the context of how you are using the terms, I agree with H2oAirRsQ in the most basic & simple definition. Below is my $ .02

PADI the (Professional Association of Diving Instructors) does have a course specifically called Rescue Diver. The context of that course is aimed more towards being a better "buddy" in the sport diving realm & there is usually a Medic First Aid class involved. You will learn about panicked divers, tired divers, mouth to snorkel breathing, airway control etc... Keep in mind, when you take a sport diving course from PADI, NAUI, SSI or whomever, it's meant to be enjoyable in water where there is some form of visibility & something to look at besides a body or whatever other object you are trying to recover. Lots of people would like to dive in the Caribbean with miles of beautiful open ocean around.

I suspect there are very few individuals who would want to or do perform in "black water" conditions, night time conditions, cold, contaminated water where you have to worry about what you might get caught on/in or poked by when you can't see beyond the frame of your mask.

Although I have not formally taken training in Public Safety Diving yet, I've read in print & seen elsewhere that there can be and generally is a world of difference. I recently read some articles in the June/July issue of Advanced Rescue Technology magazine that were of interest & would like to suggest these few links below to some prominent organizations as places to start.

www.advancedrt.com

www.rescue3.com

www.teamlgs.com

MembersZone Subscriber davidhwebb's Avatar

To further investigate the information on these posts that I've been slow to add my 2 cents to. I did purchase the "Public Safety Diving Manual" authored by Hendrick & so far without completely reading it. There are similarities with the search methods described in the Public Safety Diving Manual & the PADI Search & Recovery Course.
    "That's just my opinion, I could be wrong"... Dennis Miller

Forum Member

Lightbulb

first some background on me: Certified Instructor, certified Public Safety Diver (Dive Rescue International), Career Firefighter, Diver for Law enforcement(SO), former commercial hard hat diver, Diver training coordinator for my FD.

OK, Here goes:

Most recreational dive training agencies have what is called a rescue diver certification. I beleive that SSI calls thiers a Stressed Diver Cert.(?) Correct me if I am wrong. The Recreational Cert is for scuba divers to identify any potential problems with other divers or themselves and to act upon them such as getting the afflicted diver to the surface and bouyant and rendering first aid/BLS as needed. I feel all divers should have this.

The Public Safety Diver is a person in a Law Enforcement/Fire/Rescue/EMS agency who has been trained in body/vehicle recovery, evidence recovery, possibly some light salvage. Using lift bags, search patterns, grids, and carrying extra gear ie. pony bottles, regs, line, full face masks, comms, safety line. It is more on the technical side of diving.

I hear people say that now that they have a recreational rescue cert, they can now go with the Public Safety agency in their area. They get mad when I tell them that it doesn't work like that.

The 2 main agencies in the US are Dive Rescue International and Lifegaurd Systems. They both have great training, but I perfer DRI for there not so in your face methods and that they teach you in a way that you can adjust it for your particular team needs. But don't get me wrong, Lifegaurd systems is a good agency. It is like the Ford vs. Chevy thing. pick what works for you. hope this helps
    Craig Walker

Union Strong...Union Proud

An Irishman is the only person in the world who would walk over 12 naked women to get to a bottle of Stout.

MembersZone Subscriber truck6alpha's Avatar

You guys are pretty much saying the same thing and you're right. The big thing is that the PADI Rescue Diver course IS directed at the "better buddy" concept, but it is more than that. This course is required for anyone within the PADI system who desires to progress to the professional levels (i.e.; Divemaster, Asst. Instructor, Instructor, etc.). As leaders of dives (and supervising students), these people must be able to recognize problems that exist in their divers and mitigate the problems. Since these professionals must manage situations prior to the arrival of "public safety divers", they need to be able to deal with the situation until the arrival of help, therefore, they are required to have first aid training prior to achieving the "Rescue Diver" certification. They are required to be able to manage the scene and turn it over to responders while giving them appropriate information (like where the diver was last seen, what measures were taken, what treatments were provided, etc.). There is also a good deal of information on accident prevention in the course.

The Public Safety Diver courses (particularly Dive Rescue Int'l) are targeted toward introductory level dive team participation and DRI also participates in the Recreational SCUBA Training Council. I'm not as familiar with Lifeguard, although I am familiar with their reputation (which is also good) and I know first hand that they are active in contributing to the standards process.

The Dive Rescue courses seem to build on communications, search theory and the accident management side of things as well as developing teams and using ICS.

I know of other organizations out there that aren't as reputable. My suggestion to you is to research and find what program works best for your needs. We use PADI Rescue Diver as a foundation for other training, which also includes DRI's Dive Rescue 1. The majority of the problems that occur with Dive Rescue/Recovery seem to be from problems with basic skills, including bouyancy issues and communication.

As a disclaimer, I am a PADI Instructor and certified through DRI in Dive Rescue, and one of the authors of the upcoming Subsurface section of NFPA 1006.

Good luck and I hope you all stay safe.
    Michael "Mick" Mayers
    Acting Director, Urban Search and Rescue
    South Carolina Emergency Response Task Force
    www.sctf1.sc.gov

Thread Information