Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Default Surface Support for Water Rescue and Recovery

I am searching for protocols and/or directives from any fire departments who provide surface support. The Red Cross has a Basic Water Rescue program that is adequate for some basic level safety, but I was wondering what other departments have already done for standard "water safety" training for those not expected to go in the water. Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

MembersZone Subscriber NCRSQ751's Avatar

We put our people through the Rescue 3 Swiftwater Rescue Technician 1 class at a minimum. You have to have the training to know how to save yourself if you get into a mess. We encourage folks to go higher and pull from those people first when we have an incident. I would strongly suggest you consider such a program.
    Susan Lounsbury
    Winston-Salem Rescue Squad
    Griffith Volunteer FD

This is a link to the Canadian Coast Guard download site hope this is of some help http://www.ccg-gcc.gc.ca/sar/nsm-msn/main_e.htm
    J.B.WEIR
    Summerville Vol Fire Dept
    Pride In Service !

Check with Dive Rescue International, they have a class and program just for surface ops. A search for that will get you to the right page...hope this helps. Stay Safe, Mark
    My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
    "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
    George Mason
    Co-author of the Second Amendment
    during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
    Elevator Rescue Information

dly

Thumbs up

This School was pretty good. Contact a Asst. Chief Jim Lopez. Tell'em Darrell sent you.

http://www.ci.south-bend.in.us/fire/inrivrescue/river.htm
    dly
    Old School...Learning New Tricks
    http://members.home.net/dly135/welcome.htm

Forum Member

Lightbulb

You mentioned "for those not expected to go in the water". Exactly the reason people get into trouble or drown, if your not expecting it and it happens you need to know what to do. Scope out www.lifesaving.com , Gerry and company teach a myriad of Water, Ice and Lifeguarding courses that may be right up your alley. I have taken all 4 of the water and ice rescue classes and will soon enroll in an instructors class.

Our department also uses Dive Rescue Int as a shore support training guide. Our F.D. people who will be assisting with gear toating to the shore or boat are required to have on a PFD if they will be within 15' of the waters edge, no exceptions. All bystanders are removed to at least 50' from waters edge by local law officers and media and familey are kept at a distance also. Hope this helps and keep dry.
    Lt. Homer

Thumbs up Dive Rescue International - Training Programs

Dive Rescue International provides a variety of training programs for water rescue and recovery teams. Most of their programs are listed online at Dive Rescue Intl - Training Programs

You should call them to see what programs are being offered in your region as some programs do not get posted on their page. If you can't find a program in your region, you might consider hosting a program. By being a host, members of your department can participate at no charge and your agency saves dollars by not having to pay travel expenses. Trevor Aronson is the person at Dive Resue Int'l who coordinates training programs and he can be reached at 1-800-248-3483. His e-mail address is: taronson@diverescueintl.com

Good Luck!

Thread Information