Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    Debbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Mandatory Overtime

I'll be glad to post a few humorous incidents I've taken over the years, after I've returned home from mandatory overtime!!!
    So here's a good thread to start with - is your department relying on overtime to fill vacant positions? Do you feel this is a good solution? Has your department implemented mandatory overtime? How do you feel about this? What action is being taken by your union or any other organization (if you are covered by such) either for or against mandatory overtime?

Bill
    Firehouse.com Guest

I feel that mandatory overtime is inevitable. We had for years tried to fill with overtime positions that did not exist last year we got the needed positions and everyone is now trained. This has cut down on overtime but I am sure when someone leaves it will be more mandatory OT until the replacement is trained. I guess it is just part of the career. Never like it but I accept it.
    Bill

CliffC276
    Firehouse.com Guest

In our place you have to fight for all the Overtime you can get. When it is available it gets scoffed up

Debbie
    Firehouse.com Guest

My personal opinion is that having mandatory overtime sets a dangerous precedent. Yes, it may be financially desirable for both the employee (getting the extra $$$) and department (not having to pay benefits for O/T hours worked). But I see it in terms of increased health risks and employee burnout. When you have people who are so tired they can't focus properly, it increases the chances that someone is going to be hurt or killed. And who is going to be reprimanded or fired (if the dispatcher/calltaker didn't fall asleep at the wheel driving home)? You got it -- that dispatcher or calltaker!

KevinB
    Firehouse.com Guest

We only have 3 full-time T/C's at our place. Part timers make up the rest. 13 total. The full-timers are the only ones that can be forced overtime. But the full-timers work M-F weekends off. Fair trade off. (Union Shop)

JDuffill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Whether or not forced overtime is fair depends upon the circumstances under which you were hired. If you were told of the forced OT then so be it. If you were not informed then it's not fair.

Thread Information