Bob Derr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default 911 dispatching problems & standard equipment lists

I have 2 questions I hope someone can answer. Q1: Is there a standard dispatching procedure for the 911 system reguarding the closest EMS unit to a emergency scene? I would like to know federal guidelines if possible. Q2: Is there a recommended list of equipment for units responding to motor vehicle accidents & if anyone knows where I can obtain such a list? Thanks so much for any help you can give to me. Email address scooby95@ptd.net or resq992@hotmail.com.

------------------

HOUSE OF BLUES
    Firehouse.com Guest

Q1: IN CAMBRIA COUNTY WE HAVE SOUTHERN ALLEGANIES FOR OUR EMS COUNCIL - SINCE WE HAD PROBLEMS WITH EMS UNITS BEING DELAYED TO CERTAIN AREAS - OUR 911 CENTER HAS ESTABLISHED A POLICY FOR "CLOSEST DUE UNIT" - THERE WERE QUITE A FEW FACTORS TAKEN IN SUCH AS: DISTANCE, 24 CREWS, ALS/BLS SERVICE AND MULTIPLE UNITS, THUS WE DID HAVE SOME FIRE COMPANIES GET OUT OF THE EMS BUISNESS BUT THE DISPATCH TO ON SCENE TIME HAS GREATLY DECREASED. MY RESPONSE IS TO SPEAK TO SOUTHERN ALLEGANIES EMS ABOUT THIS FOR THEIR INPUT. AS FAR AS YOUR QUESTION #2 - I WAS UNDER THAT ASSUMPTION THAT TO RECEIVE A SEAL OF EXCELLANCE FROM THE STATE OF PA THAT YOU HAD TO HAVE CERTAIN EQUIPMENT ON YOUR EMS UNIT PA DEPT OF HEALTH HAS THE LIST FOR WHAT EXCATLEY IS NEEDED TO BE CONSIDERED AN ALS UNIT.
    HOPE THIS IS OF HELP TO YOU.
    8CHIEF@MAILCITY.COM

[This message has been edited by HOUSE OF BLUES (edited 02-14-99).]

Lt621
    Firehouse.com Guest

Bob, There is no such list that I am aware of, as far as which units to dispatch on mva's. This usually falls into a departments policies and procedures. Most departments write thier own dispatching procedures and then give them to the comm center. As far as mva's I have heard of some agencies that don't respond any apparatus until p.d. is on the scene and can varify injury status. It seems to me that might dab into the golden hour a little too long. The agency I heard of doing this was also volunteer. Get everyone going and then cancel them if not needed. As far as recommended apparatus, that all depends on your agencies equipment. Our agency would respond 1 rescue 1 engine and ems

Paul Logan
    Firehouse.com Guest

In Wisconsin there is NO STANDARDS as far as dispatching goes.

------------------
    Paul M.Logan
    Firefighter/Paramedic
    Town of Madison F.D.
    Madison, WI

Thread Information