BillMc
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fireground Timer

We have a request from the fire dept's we dispatch to provide a time warning for a structure fire in ten minute increments from the time of receipt. How are other fire dispatch centers handling this?

------------------

TASK FORCE 5
    Firehouse.com Guest

BILLMc: OUR DISPATCH CENTER TIMES FOR US AT 20 MIN INTERVALS TILL THE ONSCENE COMMANDER REQUESTS THEM TO SECURE FROM THE TIMER..PRETTY SIMPLE BUT IMPORTANT FOR INCIDENT COMMANDER,, THE IC CAN REQUEST THE TIMER BE SET FOR ANY AMOUNT OF TIME HE WISHES (5 MIN FOR HAZMAT MAYBE. 10 MIN FOR FULLY INVOLVED LARGE BUILDING, 20 FOR WILDLAND FIRE..AS THESE ARE JUST SUGGESTIONS AND EACH INCIDENT IS DIFFERENT AND CALLS FOR DIFFERENT APPROACHES...STAY SAFE
    TASK FORCE 5

------------------
    TASK FORCE 5
    "THE MIDTOWN
    MADDOGS" !!

BillMc
    Firehouse.com Guest

That is the idea we are looking at. I am trying to identify ways to accomplish it. Can you tell me exactly how your dispatchers track it. Is it as simple as a standard timer? I would prefer a CAD generated solution so the clock starts at the moment the call is received rather than some arbitrary time later on.

Phil C
    Firehouse.com Guest

The City of Summit is starting to use a system very similar to what Task Force 5 is using. The timer is started either when the IC asks to go on the timer, or, when there is a signal 11(departmental recall). So far it has seemed to work well. It improves fireground safety , because every 20 minutes or so, the IC has to step back, take a breath, and make sure he/she has accounted for all his/her people and that's the bottom line isn't it, making sure everyone goes home at the end of the shift.

TASK FORCE 5
    Firehouse.com Guest

BILLMc
    The timer starts when the call is entered in the cad system,,it ties in with the ongoing clock on the computer,,some I have seen run all the way from an egg timer to cad generated time slots,,it takes training with dispatchers to watch clock or have the time appear on the screen every 20 min or 10 min ect ect..which would indicate notification to on scene IC..most cad systems have a clock system of some sort,,check with manufacture it may be as simple as an addon or program change..
    It does take training by dispatchers and firefighters, one can use the timer for checking on personell, how long utility companys take to arrive, rehab times, how long large dia streams have been filling the building (weight problem) above ground level, ect ect.. stay safe!!
    TASK FORCE 5

------------------
    TASK FORCE 5
    "THE MIDTOWN
    MADDOGS" !!

BillMc
    Firehouse.com Guest

We will be asking our CAD vendor to develop a proposal which initiates a timer based on the incident receive time and then flash a message or some other notification every 10-20 minutes (yet to be defined). That way it will be incident specific. My fear of a standalone clock is that it will a) get missed, or b) a second fire will be reported that would require a second timer...

We dispatch for seven agencies, thirteen fire stations, etc.

The PC clock is interesting -- I wonder if there is a clock/timer software program we could launch in the background...

Thread Information