Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Do It All

Blue Boy
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Do It All

I am a dispather for a county that has approx 40,000 people and approx 450 sq mi. We have 2 dispatchers onduty 24, 7 with very few exceptions. We dispatch everything police, fire, ems, dog warden, humane officer, wildlife officer, utilitiies. With the exception of the one city in our county which has approx 10,000 people dispatches their own fire, and police. I'm just curious to hear from other people out there who are in a similar situation that I am. We run 12 hr shifts and work 3 12 hr shifts a week.

HOUSE OF BLUES
    Firehouse.com Guest

I DISPATCH IN A CENTER IN WESTERN PA - WE DISPATCH BASICALLY THE SAME SERVICES AS YOUR CENTER AND ON TOP OF THAT WE DISPATCH (2) MEDICAL HOSPITAL HELICOPTERS
    THE ONE SHIP IS ON 24/7 AND THE OTHER IS ON DUTY 12/24 - WE USALLY HAS ON STAFF 6 DISPATCHERS WITH A MAX AT PEAK TIMES OF 8 TO 10 DISPATCHERS - OUR CENTER HAS THREE DIFFERENT SHIFTS THAT ARE WORKED 8's, 10's AND 12's - THE POPULATION IN OUR COUNTY IS APPROX 160,000 WITH THE NOTHERN PORTION BEING SPARSLY POPULATED - WE HAVE A CITY IN OUR COUNTY THAT WE ALSO DISPATCH FOR AND THEY HAVE A POPULATION OF APPROX 26,000 AND DURING THE DAYTIME HOURS THEIR POPULATION INCREASES TO APPROX 40,000 - THE TOTAL NUMBER OF AGENCIES THAT WE DISPATCH IS 51 FIRE COMPANIES, 16 AMBULANCE SERVICES AND ON PEAK TIMES WE HAVE APPROX 60 POLICE CARS ON THE STREET THROUGHOUT OUR COUNTY - OUR CENTER HAS BEEN OPENED FOR APPROX 7 YEARS AND WAS A COMBINATION OF THREE OLD CENTERS AT FIRST WE WORKED TWO TWELEVE HOUR SHIFTS AND THEN CAME UP WITH OUR NEW SCHEDULE - WE HAVE 16 DISPATCHERS THAT WORK 12's, 8 DISPATCERS THAT WORK 10's, 4 DISPATCHERS THAT WORK ROTATING 8's AND ONE DISPATCHER THAT WORKS MON-FRI 07/15 ( THIS PERSON DOES ALL THE FILING FOR CLEAN/NCIC TERMINAL - ALSO OUR CENTER IS ALL COMPUTERIZED. IF YOU ARE INTERSTED I WOULD BE ABLE TO GET YOU A COPY OF OUR WORK SCHEDULE

wisedon
    Firehouse.com Guest

We dispatch for 6 cities in the Los Angeles County area: Burbank - Glendale - Pasadena - South Pasadena - San Marino - Monrovia. By 9/1/99 we will also be handling the cities of Sierra Madre and Arcadia.

Our population load is well over 500,000 over a 100+ sq. mile area. Our call volume is currently about 40,000 per year, with 70% of that volume being EMS related.

Our shifts are 12 hours long. We work 2 Day Shifts from 0630-1830 - 24 hours off - and then 2 Night Shifts from 1830-0630, followed by 4 days off. This entire shift rotates forward by 1 day each week. For example my "Monday" was today (Tuesday) on 7/13/99, next week it will be on (Wednesday) 7/21/99, and so on...

This allows for an extreme amount of flexibility for scheduling issues and everyone is comfortable and happy due to how equitable the shift is.

We have a minimum of 3 personnel on duty at all times with day shifts being upped by 1 person to 4 personnel (including a supervisor) at all times. We dispatch only for Fire/EMS calls and all Police calls are handled by the respective departments.

If you'd like to visit our Website (soon to be updated), please do so at: www.ci.glendale.ca.us/verdugo

[This message has been edited by wisedon (edited July 14, 1999).]

Thread Information