BBond
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Emergency Medical Dispatch

Does anyone use EMD in their center? How does it work for you? Has it improved the service that you provide? Has it affected any other operations in your center?

jsteele
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our center uses EMD, by medical priority, and I think it works well. On concern is when a dispatcher has to pick up a phone and give Pre Arrival instructions, another needs to be 'on the ball' enough to back the other up. I think we do a disservice to the responding agencies by not giving the response determinates, but that is another issue. The public's perception is that they are going to get instructions for CPR and other emergencies when they dial 911, and from that liability issue alone in addition to the increased public and customer service makes EMD mandatory.

The dispatcher is the TRUE first responder.

------------------
    James Steele
    Second Assistant Chief
    Portland Hook & Ladder Co. #1
    Portland , PA

jsteele
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just a note, if you search the news articles, there is a fight going on in Lincoln, Nebraska over EMD and the response determinates.

------------------
    James Steele
    Second Assistant Chief
    Portland Hook & Ladder Co. #1
    Portland , PA

wisedon
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

My center reguires EMD on every call received for EMS response that falls within established criteria/guidelines. These guidelines were established by local doctors and approved by EMS review board at local county levels.

We've found that EMD is no longer an option but considered a Standard of Care - and it is an expectation by the general public, that they will receive instruction for their call. We've not implemented tiered dispatching as of yet, but we are considering the necessity of it, due to the call volume and the type of response given for our EMS calls.

------------------
    Don Wise
    Fire Communications Supervisor
    Glendale Fire Department
    Verdugo Fire Communications

Bill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our center has been using Medical Priority for about 7 years now. We have been using the response determinants for about 3 years. It has worked out very well the responders like the information we provide and it is also of benefit to the telecommunicator as something to follow to help the person. I agree with the other post that it is seen as a Standard of Care. Without using some type of approved EMD program if someone gives any type of medical advice what protocol are they following??? This question alone can scare you legal rep. Good Luck

Thread Information