Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    parkerfp1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

We still use traditional tone alerts. 911 has a set of tones which sets off our siren and a set of tones which trips our paging system. We can also manually dispatch ourselves through our paging system.

Mick_C
    Firehouse.com Guest

In my old district we were on alpha numeric pager, which covered half the city of Sydney. In the district ive just transferred to we are on phone contact. The district duty officer gets the call from stae fire command and then contacts the brigade duty officer's mobile phone. The brigade duty officer then notifies other members by phone while making his/her own way to the station. Pretty soon however we are moving to pagers but being in a rural area the coverage is not that good and limited to the immediate town area. Hopefully we will also be maintaining phone contact.

dch419
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our fire department, and many others in the county, is dispatched via a county dispatch; the larger cities that have multiple stations or that are very busy have their own. All departments have their own channel assignment on an 800 Mhz trunked fleet, and we use a low-band freq. for initial dispatch. When our department is dispatched for a call, our tone is simulcasted over the low-band freq. to activate the station alert and home pagers, and over our 800 Mhz channel. We communicate solely on our 800 Mhz channel then. We also use alpha-numeric pagers to recall personnel/shifts for station coverage. Our siren was deactivated over 10 years ago when it was a volunteer department.

tnpdd18
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

We are a a 100% volunteer fire dept in new york state.. I am a Dispatcher for 3 Fire departments and a Ambulance and one Police Department. Our county has a 911 center that My police dispatch operates as a PSAP for. The county 911 Dipatcher about 60% of fire and Police Calls in the County ,90% of the ems comes out of the 911 center .. The other 40% of Fire and Police are dispatched by there local police communications centers.

AS for the siren's my Fire department along with our board of Fire commissoners has come to an compromise with the General Public about the operation. It is on 5am to 11pm (7) seven days a week .. We still have a noon siren also.. My F.D. ran 407 calls last year alone. In our county most F.D.'s still have there siren and are fighting to keep them.

Jeffrey Casson
    Firehouse.com Guest

We use both voice pagers and sirens in my department. Sirens are only is use between 0700 and 2300 though. The sirens are still used because although we all do have pagers, if we forget to bring them out with us or we are in the yard, we still hear that there is a call. They are also a little nostalgic because I remember hearing them for as long as I have been around when there was a fire call.

Ross Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are alerted via voice pagers and a house siren. The siren is crucial for us because in the middle of our town we have a college where we have approx 15 members from. Since our dept has a purchase your own pager policy, this siren alerts these college kids of alarms. Our hazmat team is alerted via alpha numeric pagers.

Andrew R. Duval
    Firehouse.com Guest

All of departments serviced by my dispatch center use the standard (lowband and VHF)voice pagers. During certain times, and for certain calls, they also utilize a station siren. Some departments are starting to experiment with Alpha-pageing. This seems to be working well. Some Firefighters carry only thier Alpha-pagers. The drawback is that we do not control the dispatch tower, it is handled by a private company. We access the company via a computer program and modem. If something happens to the tower, the pages do not go out. We are currently putting together a dispatch system for Alpha-pagers that we will control.

------------------
    Rexcin

Lieutenant Gonzo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

The on duty crews are alerted to calls over the radio. Each Station has it's own tone, there is also an all call tone that activates the speakers and house lights in all 3 stations and an "attention tone" if a unit is on the road and has to be redirected.

For off duty callbacks, we use a Motorola Minitor 2 paging system and an alpha-numeric paging system.

Our frequencies are 858.4625 Mhz for fire dispatch/operations and 46.42 Mhz for paging.
    Two of our surrounding towns also use 46.42 with their own PL code for paging, we now use it as one of the mutual aid frequencies.

------------------
    We boldly go where no one else dares...
    take care and stay safe
    Lt. Gonzo

Chad165
    Firehouse.com Guest

We are dispatched from the county 911 center. Up until the early 90's we maintained our own dispatch center. Notification is sent out on highband, a community siren, and alpha pagers. All members have alpha pagers and carry a Bendix-King or Kenwood portable. With the exception of the jr's who carry duracomm highband pagers

Thread Information