Chief *
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question UNIFORMS IN THE COMMUNICATIONS CENTER

OUR COMMUNICATIONS CENTER IS LOOKIN INTO IMPLEMENTING UNIFORMS. HOW MANY OTHER CENTERS WERE UNIFORMS? PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF YOU DO AND WHAT KIND

cf1
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Dispatch center dispatches law enforcement, Fire and EMS, we are required to wear either a full Sheriffs Office Uniform, or we can wear the Polo Shirts with the Sheriffs Dept Name embroided on it and dress pants.

cf1

deanf
    Firehouse.com Guest

we at www.federalwayfire.org wear dark blue pants and a dark blue polo shirt with the department logo embroidered on it for normal ops. We also have what we call a Class B uniform, which is the same pants, but a regular dark blue button up uniform shirt, department badge, and cloth name patch. Looks just like the firefighter uniforms, except it's not nomex, it's poly/cotton.

This Class B shirt is worn when we have important visitors, or when we make public appearances, or attend important meetings.

Forgot to mention: Unofficially approved for night shift (1830-0630) is the department t-shirt. Dark blue with small maltese cross design on left front, large FIRE DEPT on back.

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited November 11, 1999).]

mtnfireguy
    Firehouse.com Guest

The first question is; Do your dispatchers have public contact? If they don't, do they really need uniforms.

If they do - then yes.. I have seen both the full uniform (shirt, pants, badge)and the casual style. For dispatching I would go with the casual style. Nice polo shirt and comfortable pants.

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Just something from my brief time behind the mic...we had polo shirts, as we could have some public contact as our facility was a regional C-MED center and EMS Training Facility.

Nicest, most comfortable polo shirt I ever owned, but it didn't have a pocket! You know, so you could keep a pen handy, or if you're like me and only need your glasses when reading it's nice not to go scrambling for them when at heck hits the airwaves!

So I'd just say get a casual shirt, but with a pocket if they make such a thing.

fireman1541
    Firehouse.com Guest

in our comm center we wear golf shirts with black dress pants. our golf shirts have on the left chest our dept name and the 911 symbol and on the left sleeve it says 911 when seconds count.

FireMedic59
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

In the facility where I work, we wear just as everyone else has told you, a polo-shirt that has the department's name embroidered on the left chest, and dark blue pants with black shoes. we were also issued a pullover sweatshirt with the same embroidered logo on it, so when it starts to get chilly in the room, (usually around 2am), we all still look uniform.

Brad Barton
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

We wear a regular light blue uniform shirt with badge and navy blue pants on dayshift.
    On night shift we wear a polo shirt with our logo embroidered on left chest and the navy blue pants. Our lead dispatchers wear a white uniform shirt or polo with the navy pants.

[This message has been edited by Brad Barton (edited December 06, 1999).]

Edneyville1562
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Our polo shirts are cool! Since we are an EOC, we have the star of life, sheriff's badge, and maltese cross on our shirts about 1 inch in size and Henderson County Communications underneath. Our full name is on the right side. They are gray and have the main lettering in burgandy. We wear black pants of choice. I would like to see us get at least one class A for funerals and other events when a polo shirt just dosen't seem appropriate.

Michael Armstrong
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department civilianized in Nov. of 98. We require the civilians to wear uniforms.
    Within the next 2 years, will be moving into a combined agency dispatch center and the uniforms will set them apart.

Rich McCane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our Dispatchers, both full-time and part-time, are civilians under the Police department. We are not required to wear ANY type of uniform, just something that "looks nice" (no jeans, t-shirts, revealling, etc.).

Rich
    Golf Manor (Cincinnati area) Pd/FD/EMS
    Communications Officer

jwieners34
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

In our Comm Center, we wear leather shoes or boots, navy blue pants, light blue uniform shirt w/ a clip-on tie during winter months, badge, name plate, etc. Only major complaint is that we would love to ditch the ties for turtlenecks. Also wouldn't mind a knit sweatshirt. As it now stands the only thing we can wear for added warmth is a hideous blazer; I opt to freeze rather than wear that.

pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

OUR GUY'S WEAR POLO'S , IT'S DEFINATLEY KICKED BACK UP THERE. I THINK THAT ALL DISPATCHERS SHOULD WEAR THE SAME THING , FROM T-SHIRTS TO POLO'S TO CLASS "A" UNIFORMS. I BELIEVE IT BRINGS PROFESSIONALISM TO THR JOB. IF YOU LOOK GOOD , YOU FEEL GOOD & YOU USUALLY PERFORM GOOD.THANKS , HAVE A MERRY CHRISTMAS....

mtfd38
    Firehouse.com Guest

WE ARE CIVILIAN DISPATCHERS IN A SMALL TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPT. WE WEAR THE SAME UNIFORM AS THE FIREFIGHTERS, LT. BLUE SHIRT, DARK BLUE PANTS, BLACK SHOES/BOOTS, BADGE ETC. 2 OF US ALSO HAVE TURNOUT GEAR FOR EXTENDED SITUATIONS WHEN A DISPATCHER IS NEEDED ON THE FIREGROUND.

Rick Bond
    Firehouse.com Guest

I've worked in both settings. Right now I work in a state dispatch center that only requires that we dress appropriately. IE dress cloths, no blue jeans or shorts & t-shirts. However, having worked in centers that require a uniform, I see a differance. When every one wears a uniform it helps with the proffesionalism. It may only be in your head but your part of the team. Uniforms don't have to be some thing that is real riggid, the golf/polo shirts and standard color pants are great and comfortable. One other thing that should be looked at. If your not a police officer, firefighter, or emt you shouldn't look like one. Alot of agencies in my area like the uniform idea, but have opted to dress dispatch in a uniform that is different from those in the field for liability reasons.

------------------
    THESE THING WE DO SO OTHERS MAY LIVE!

aussie george
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

in my department being the new south wales fire service in australia as the dispatchers are active firefighters assigned to the communications centre they wear the same dress uniform as firefighters ie blue shirt with department logo on sleeves black pants and leather ankle boots.

boog8591
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I work full time for the local police department. At the police department, the dispatchers wear the following:
    - Navy uniform pants
    - French Blue Uniform Shirt
    with - Badge
    - Police Commuications Patch
    - Name plate
    - Black dress shoes or boots

I also work for the county 9-1-1 center. As of right now, we have no uniform. Within reason, the dispatchers can wear just about anything they want as long as it meet the approval of the policies in place. The county center is currently looking at various "uniforms". This will probably be a polo style shirt to start with some type of long pants. Things are still in the planning stages for us as well

Dewey Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work in a county 911 center and we dispatch for le, ems, and fire. We are in a separate building outside of the major city we dispatch for and we have no uniforms. We seldom have public contact except for tours. Our dispatchers may wear what they chose as long as it abides by county policies.

NFPD206
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

If you communications officers are going to have contact with the public they should be in uniform. Now if you have a combination comm center (law enforcement/fire-rescue) then you must decide if they are going to look like police officers, firefighters or something different. Our comm officers have uniforms that look like police officers. The problem I see with this is that they are not police officers and they do not have powers of arrest nor do they carry guns. In todays society do we want our civilian dispatches looking like police officers when they are traveling from and to work. Or even if they deal with the public. I am a volunteer firefighter and a full time deputy sheriff. My opion is I don't want someone who is not a police officer looking like a police officer. At least for their safety. Just food for thought.

------------------
    Captain Hoss

[This message has been edited by NFPD206 (edited February 03, 2000).]

Mick_C
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a former comms team member with the NSW Rural Fire Service we were required to wear our uniform in the comms centre if we had one. This varies from district to district, but within ours we also were sent out on the fireground as scribes/runners/gophers for officers. The uniform consisted of a navy drill shirt with epuallets and navy drill trousers all pure cotton. Dress uniform is white shirt with epuallets, black tie, black trousers and dress ankle boots.
    The NSW Police service also has a corporate uniform for its civillian radio operators but is reasonably casual. It varies from dress shirts and trousers to rugby tops and polo shirts and caps. This is being introduced slowly.
    NSW Fire Brigades wear standard NSWFB uniform consisting light blue shirt and black trousers. NSW Ambulance service uniform is also standard with white shirts and black trousers.
    It all shows that even the behind the scenes people are committed professionals who are part of a team and bigger organization.

Thread Information