Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    deanf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Are you an IAFF member?

I'm curious to know who else is represented by the International Association of Firefighters, as a dispatcher. I'm talking strictly civilian communications employees here, not, for example, firfighters detailed or assinged to the communcations center. Thanks.

------------------
    Member, IAFF Local 2024

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited November 15, 1999).]

Brad Barton
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I am an employee of South County Fire Alarm, and a member of Mehlville FPD IAFF Local 1889. All 9 dispatchers at SCFA are members of Local 1889.

deanf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for the reply. The agency I work for is called "South County Communications", "South Comm" for short.

Coincidence?

Brad Barton
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

That is a coincidence.
    Our call sign is "South County".
    We dispatch 8 fire districts in the south St. Louis County and north Jefferson County area in Missouri. The districts we serve protect approximately 500,000 people. We average about 20,000 calls for service a year. 5 of the departments we serve are professional and the other 3 are paid/volunteer.

------------------
    KAK618
    IAFF Local 1889

Capt_46
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I am a dispatcher for a countywide. We do fire,ems,amd police. Can you join the IAFF if you are employed be a agency such as this??and if so how do you start the process? Please let me know I would be very intrested. Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Cap

deanf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cap:

I think you would first have to work for an angecy that employed firefighters or paramedics that are IAFF. Then you would have to organize a bargaining unit, have the bargaining unit certified via whatever standard your state has, then get the IAFF local that already exists to agree to represent your bargaining unit.

mtfd38
    Firehouse.com Guest

would like to join the iaff but we have a couple of dispatchers that have ****ed our union firefighters off so til they go we are stuck non union, maybe after they leave things could change.

deanf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Yes. I've heard of dispatchers being drumed out of the union because FFs had a problem with them. Happened two or so years ago at a place called Lakewood Firecomm in Pierce County Washington.

Our total union membership is about 120 (12 or so dispatchers) so we consequently usually get the short end of the stick (as we see it) in regard to labor issues. The FFs take the forefront. All us dispatchers are being laid off in about a year and a half to help finance the union's goal of 3 man engine companies. On the plus side, this may mean that I can just lateral into a FF job.

Has anyone else noticed that non-FF or non-paramedic members of the IAFF are never mentioned at the international level either? Never see IAFF dispatchers mentioned in any of the international newsletters or mailings.

------------------
    Member, IAFF Local 2024

[This message has been edited by deanf (edited December 10, 1999).]

BCFR911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

My Comm center is Broward County Fire-Rescue in South Florida. Think you have it bad, we are members of the bus driver and librarian union. We were told we had no choice and are currently trying to get out and into IAFF. IAFF tried to get us aboard 3 years ago, spending $18,000 in lawyers fee's, but somehow we are still in our crappy union !!!!

------------------

Thread Information