Thread: 12 Hour Shifts?

ducky
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am a full time telecommunicator for our county communication center. I am also a volunteer with one fire department and a part-time/paid volunteer with another fire department. At our communication center we work a combination of 12 hour, 10 hour, and a 4 hour days. We are not allowed to work over 40 hours. We work Monday and Tuesday, 12 hours each day. Off on Wednesday. Work 4 hours on Thursday. Then we work 12 hours each on friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Off Monday and Tuesday. Work a total of 16 hours on Wednesday and Thursday, either 12 hours and 4 hours or 2-8 hour days). This sounds cmplicated, but it works. Night shift does vary somewhat from the above schedule.

JBR
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I work for the Department of Emergency Communications for St. Mary's County in Maryland. We currently work 12 hour shifts and for the most part love them. We have been working them for about 6 years. We are not allowed to work over 40 hours a week. We work on a 7 week rotation. The first four weeks work out like this, we work 2-12 hour days 0700-1900, off 24 hours, then work 1-12 hour night shift 1900-0700. The fourth day we work a 4 hour shift which is either 1500-1900 or 1900-2300. Then we are off for 4 days. We work this shift for four weeks. The last three weeks we work 2-12 hour day shifts, off 24 hours, then work 2-12 hour night shifts, then 4 days off. It sounds confusing but it actually is a nice rotation. It beats the old rotation we use to work with 8 hour shifts. If there is any down fall to it, it is the transition between days and nights. I could not imagine going back to 8 hour shifts and working them the way we use to.

ljn-psd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Originally posted by penguin:
    .[\B].the turnaround from day to nite is havoc on both ur physical and mental system..its not so much the 12 hours as it is switching from days to nites...[/B]
    *** HI penguin , someone in my office (Rochester NY 911) has been talking to someone in your office about thus . They got a differant opinion (as boss's will give & recv) than what you are saying . My office is thinking about the same schedule you have now , 2 12 days , 2 12 nights , 4 off. I for 1 agree with the "Physiology" asspect of the thing . Most major Police Dept's got away from "rotating shifts" years ago , but they always say , history will repeat itself , right! If you can shed any more lih=ght on this for me I'd appreciate it . Thanks LJN-psd / ljnolan@earthlink.net

Thread Information