pompanofd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question WHY SEND FIRE BEFORE PD ON DOMESTICS?

HEY GUYS, FIRE RESCUE IN MY CITY IS ALWAYS TONED OUT CODE 3 FOR DOMESTIC INJURY , WE GO ARRIVAL IN AREA , 90% OF TIME WE ARE WAITING ON PD TO GO ARRIVAL & SECURE SCENE. I'M TALKING 5-10 MINS. AT LEAST! WHY ? BECAUSE PD GOES CODE 1 ( NO LIGHTS , NO SIREN )PLUS HALF THE TIME WE GET CANCELLED BY PD ANYWAY BECAUSE IT'S USUALLY B.S. JUST VENTING , THANKS.....MIKE G. QUESTION? HOW DO YOU RESPOND?

deanf
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dispatcher discretion is the key. If I know that the aid car will be waiting for the PD to arrive on an assault call, I will usually send them code yellow (our term for no light/siren, normal traffic.) It usually works out so that the aid car arrives just as the police are, so the aid car's out of service time is reduced.

Sometimes we tell the PD that we will "stage." We don't tell them where we will stage, and it's usually in the station, with the unit in service for other calls. We don't tone the aid car or alert them in any way. Amazing how many times the PD calls us back and says the aid car is not needed. The aid car never knew they were staging. Saves the aid car crew a lot of thumb twidling or lost sleep.

If it's obviously major trauma (GSW, stabbing, etc) then everybody goes code red (or 4 bells, or priority, or whatever you want to call it) right away.

Dispatcher discretion is cool, as long as the dispatcher has the confidence to make a decision and is competent.

------------------
    Member, IAFF Local 2024

Thread Information