Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Male dispatchers

This could go both ways, but because females are more often than not in the dispatchers chair, I'm gearing it toward the male audience. I am a male dispatcher for a police department which also dispatches for fire and EMS. I am the ONLY male in the dispatch center, and am always being slighted when the cops go for coffee or dinner, whereas it seems the other way around when the ladies are in the seat. The boys will go out of their way to see that they are not forgotten.
    I was just curious if anyone else has experienced the same thing? And if so, has anything been done about it? I am also a volunteer firefighter and always catching crap for that, but I expect that from them, the whole cop vs. firefighter thing. So if you've got any good come backs directed to the ol' boys in blue, pass em' on.

Thanks, Lt.

pcole
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Lt.

The girls get the treatment from the cops cause their better looking! Something you'll have to live with.
    The center I work in is about split with men and women and we all get along fine.
    I just retired as a Platoon Chief and 36 years in the fire service and am working part time in the 911 center.
    I now have a new respect for the the people that do it. The average cop and firefighter doesn't have a clue.

Best wishes and pack a lunch......Pete

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank god for Pizza Delivery!!!

DRA-252
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Tell'em the donut shop is on fire, they'll change their tune!

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I work as a dispatcher for Public safety covering almost 40 agencies. There are only 3 male dispatchers and the Sgt is male also, but he don't dispatch. We hardly ever get invited or even offered goodies. Some of the patrol Sgt's frown upon law enforcement interacting or socializing with dispatchers. The fire side is always over here. I am also one of those firefighters.
    Our donut shop burned down, other FD jurisdiction though.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Warrick911_721
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

I am a male dispatcher for a dispatch that is the communications center for 11 fire departments-6 EMS stations and 5 police departments. In fact I am the only male dispatcher. My advice to you. ENjoy it. All these women around is great!

mfd35
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi Lt.

I am a male working in another PD that also dispatches FD / EMS. The cops don't like the males or females. I am also a FF with the same problems you have run into.

Good Luck.

Jake295885
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I have a few friends that are cops, and they all seem to go a little crazy after a few years. I think it must be the stress.

Here are a few suggestions:

Sing a cadence call........If I had a low i.q. I could have been a policeman too sound off..........

when they visit your firehouse and give you a hard time just tell them very seriously....You know if you only scored 5 points higher on the exam you could have been a fireman.......

The best approach is to always have a healthy sense of humor.......

EliotO4
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Suck it up brother. hehehe

I hear what you are saying. Some times it takes an act of congress to get anything here in Metro Portsmouth.
    AS SBFD6 Said. "thank god for pizza Delivery and a discount"

O4

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

At least you get a discount! I guess I can't really complain here, the guys are great and we're so small that everyone gets along (for the most part). I'd like to find out about this whole discount situation though... lol

GTUCK911KCDE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

HANG IN THERE,
    HAVE YOU TRIED TO GO TO THE PATROL SUPERVISOR AND ASK HIM WHATS UP? IF THAT DOESNT WORK JUST TELL THE OFFICERS THAT DON'T WANT TO GET YOUR MEAL FOR YOU THAT YOUR GONNA SEND THEM OUT TO THE MOST REMOTE AREA IN YOUR JURIDICTION TO CHECK FOR A NOISE ORDINANCE VIOLATION.

AS FAR AS THE OFFICERS GETTING ON YOUR CASE ABOUT BEING A FIREFIGHTER,THE NEXT TIME THE DONUT SHOP CATCHES ON FIRE,YOUR NOT GOING. THEN WHERE WILL THEY HIDE AT ?????

TUCK

jasonnremtb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

i'm also a male dispatcher, but all 14(dispatchers) are male. the officer's here are all super nice, maybe because i'm 6'9" 265 lbs., biggest in the deparment officers included.

alarm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

WELL WHERE I WORK IN CHARLOTTE,NC FIRE COMM. THERE ARE ABOUT 19 OR 20 DISPATHCERS AND ABOUT 11 OR 12 ARE MALES AND I THINK THERE ARE AS MANY MALES AS FEMALES IN ALOT OF COMM CENTERS BOTH CAN DO THE JOB EQUALLY, BY THE WAY I AM A GUY

Bill
    Firehouse.com Guest

Out of 18 dispatchers we have a 12 male to 6 female ratio. This will change by one next month when I leave and become a career firefighter because it looks like my replacement will be a female. I have never seen any favoritism shown to a particular sex. Particular people yes there is some. We dispatch for 14 departments and have limited face to face contact with officers.

Murray_Co_ff213
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am 1 of 3 guys at our 911. the other 12 or so are chicks. The only reason they get better treatment is that they look better and they are Chicks(i'd be worried if the PD started hitting on me like they do them). I am also a vol firefighter but I've never had a problem with PD vs FD crap.

------------------
    Derek

firechase
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I am the only male in our 911 Center and my guys are all great about desk relief and getting dinner, etc.

I do catch a lot about the fire service, especially if we have a fire in our town, but I deal with it and usually play along with them on it.

I like the response of "if you had only scored five more points on the test, you would have been a fireman." That one is great and I will use it!!

alaskafireman
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I hear ya brother.....I am the only male dispatcher for a 911 fire/police/ems in my area. I am under the police, but also dispatch my fire dept.

Ya just gotta roll with it....I am glad to know that I too am not alone out there.

I am also a vol fire captain/emt.

keep up the good work.

Sean

mike021
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

You guys have a difference with the PD? Man that sucks. Here in my area the relationship is a great one. Hell I hang out at the donught shp with them at night sometimes. The cops are real cool here with us.

------------------
    Norwood Fire Co. No. 1
    http://www.nfco1.freeservers.com

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

I work in two different communications centers and the majority of the dispatchers are men. One center dispatches 14 fire depts, and 1 EMS service. The other does 7 fire dept and 4 EMS services. The majority of the surrounding centers are men as well.

APG1
    Firehouse.com Guest

As a Police Explorer...

Get with the program, this is 2001. Cops don't drink or eat coffee or doughnuts anymore. It's bagels and cappachino. This is the 21st century, hop to it!

Thread Information