Thread: Plectrons???

gs711
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Plectrons???

How does your dept notify you of an alarm? the plectrons we have are no longer any good.
    Are there new plectrons out there or is everybody going to pagers? If you know of a manufacturer of plectrons please notify me.

CFD Explorer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Try this: http://www.motorola.com/cgiss/isolut...ch/index.shtml
    Go to Products and then Fire Station Alerting
    Hope this helps.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Actually, the maker of "plectrons" is/was Plectron. I don't know whether they're still around or not.

Not long ago, Darley had a stationary alerting monitor that looked and sounded like a "plectron" in their catalog. You might check there.

Even so, "everybody is going to pagers" is a pretty accurate statement, at least among volunteers. We have one (actual) Plectron monitor in service, which has controlled our house siren for the last 30 years or so. It's our only survivor.

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

COMMAND COMMUNICATIONS OUT OF COLLEGE STATION, TX.

Brian Dunlap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Most Departments went to Pagers about 20-25 Years Ago {Not to be a Smart A**} But Seriously .... My Department Utilizes Motorola Minitor II Repeater Pagers --- I've had mine for Over Three Years Now {Replaced the Original Minitor "Brick" Pager} We have a few Inst-Alerts Hanging Around {Same Thing as the Plectron only Bigger, Louder, and more obnoxious we have one in the Station Rec-Room that still works after 20 years --- I Personally prefer the Pager --- It wakes me up just fine and plys back the entire assignment as long as it is with in 32 seconds or else it cuts off

rsmith
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

We use our base station radios. Our base radios are Motorola MaxTrac 32 channel with a page that is software or computer driven. We run the radio through a PA amplifier that has speakers throughout the station. There is also a new product called On Fire. It is an alerting system that you can only learn about by e-mailing the distributor at telequez@aol.com or fax at 760-940-0128. We are going to install 1 unit in our new station and will continue with other stations. You can e-mail me with any questions.

------------------

[This message has been edited by rsmith (edited 04-07-2001).]

RFD220
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Our department uses pagers which open up for both fire/EMS but I also have a plectron which only opens for fire! No waking up for Old Lady Crabtree with bad gas!!!

FIREMAN203
    Firehouse.com Guest

PLECTRONS ARE NO LONGER OUT THERE IN THE FIELD I DONT EVEN KNOW WERE YOU CAN FIND THEM
    EVERTHING IS ALERT PAGERS, OR EVEN NOW ALPHA NUMERIC AND NEXTEL

phyrngn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Most departments in my area use the Minitor II's and some even have the Minitor III's (if they ever get back from the shop).

There are, however, current companies that manufacture the Plectron "Style" (meaning you plug it into a wall like a base scanner and can't take it with you)tone-alert and voice receivers. Federal Signal manufactures one, and Reach Communications in Lexington, NE also manufactures one.

gs711
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have decided to get the minitor 3 with the amps, thanks for all the replies.

Steve Makky Sr
    Firehouse.com Guest

Plectron sold the design of their last desktop receiver to Federal Signal. Federal Signal markets this as the "VAR" or Voice Alert Receiver. They cost about $300 and are available from a Federal dealer. There is also another product, a "TAR" or tone alert receiver.

Thread Information