Thread: TOO YOUNG?

alarm
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post TOO YOUNG?

HELLO ALL I AM A 19 YO MALE AND I WORK FOR THE CITY OF CHARLOTTE FIRE DEPT. IN NC COMMUNICATIONS, I HAVE BEEN A TELECOMMUNICATOR SINCE MAY '00, I STARTED ON MY 19TH B-DAY I AM THE YOUNGEST TO EVER WORK AS A DISPATCHER FOR THE CFD I WAS WANDERING IF ANYONE IS OR KNOWS SOMEONE AS OLD (OR YOUNG) AS I AM THAT IS A DISPATCHER.

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I started in August of 1999. I had been 19 just about a month when I started. I work for City of Logan Police Department - Communications Division. We handle all Fire, EMS, Law, Animal Control, you name it we dispatch it. A community of about 85,000. Not as busy as you, but busy enough. I dare say that I have come a long way and am one of the more highly reguarded Dispatchers here right now. We have a female that is still 18 and working and not worth beans.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have a young lady with us that just turned 21 a few days ago. Prior to working with us, she used to work in Concord NH at the E-911 center as a call taker/EMD provider. She's doing very well and I hope she sticks with us.

firemedic01
    Firehouse.com Guest

I started dispatching when I was 19. We dispatch fire/ems. There is also another dispatcher that is 19 as well.

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Got you all beat, I started two weeks after I turned 18, I am about to turn 20 next week, I started as a part-timer and i've been full-time for a just over a year now.

A 21 year old hey Spin'? Hook a brother up man!

[This message has been edited by Nick SBFD 6 (edited 03-03-2001).]

EMTwants2b911
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

I want to become a dispatcher in the same county where I am an EMT and we have had job openings continously at our dispatch center for a year now (because its the lowest paid staff in our part of the state and serves 60,000 people in about 765 square miles and dispatches anything and everything) but I haven't been able to get beyond the first step of the application process, even though they need the people. I was wondering if you other young guys could share your experences and give me some pointers on how to get that job.

[This message has been edited by EMTwants2b911 (edited 03-16-2001).]

[This message has been edited by EMTwants2b911 (edited 03-16-2001).]

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Well, I was always the kid who hung around, so I got to know everyone before I was hired. This may not be possible but always present yourself in a professional and mature manor, It is a hard step for some administrators to take to hiring someone as young as us. Already being in emergency services can't hurt unless you have one of those fire/police rivalries in your town. But stick it out, show interest and don't be a pain in the ***** sooner or later they will come to you. Also do they have an age policy, this could stop you dead in your tracks regardless. Hope I could help, hang in there kid

-Nick

EMTwants2b911
    Firehouse.com Guest

No there is not an age requirement. So that is not a problem

BFD182
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

I started 5 days after I turned 19, but I had applied while I was 18. This week I celebrated my 13th aniversary as a Dispatcher.

JDS911
    Firehouse.com Guest

I started dispatching Police/Fire/EMS when I was 16. I had spent alot of time in the radio room as a Fire/Law Enforcement Explorer and learned the ropes of dispatching (back when it was 2 radio channels and No CAD or 911!). They hired me part time when I was 16 then full time at 18 in a city of 55,000 people. I have been in the profession ever since.

Jay911
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm a 29 year old volunteer firefighter/EMT who is in the middle of interviewing for a combination Fire Dispatch/9-1-1 answering point. One person in EMS joked that I was too young to work there, but I know for a fact that other people my age or younger are working there now.

Thread Information