smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post If you had to.......

If you had to pick out any one gadget within the comm center that you couldn't do your job without, what would it be? And if anyone says radio or computer I'll smack ya. The reason I ask is, our management wants us to make a wish list of things we would like to put in our dispatch center. We have an out dated radio terminal, IMC system, and a single phone line which makes us the main receivers of ALL of the phone calls that come into the PD. Those things aside, what neat doohickies do you have that makes your job "that much easier"?

------------------
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt. Spinney

firefighteranne
    Firehouse.com Guest

It's a toss-up between two items:

I love our Medical Priority Dispatching cards. I was here before we became EMD's, and I remember the frustration and fear of not knowing exactly what to ask or tell people.

I also love our mapping system that automatically maps all 9-1-1 calls--when it works. Because it is so picky about how exactly the address is written, it only maps it automatically about three-fourths of the time. If we have time, we can play around with the address try to get an acceptable one plugged in. We can then fax a copy of the map to our fire depts, ambulance services, and nearby law enforcement agencies.

EStoner28
    Firehouse.com Guest

Of all the gadgets and gizmos, the most useful items we have in our center are the scanner and internet connection. There is nothing more frustrating than having an officer ask why a neighboring jurisdiction is responding through ours and not being able to answer them, not to mention a hold up alarm put out on "their" side of the street.

Internet connection is almost a must have as well. We are not a PSAP, so we don't have enhanced ANI/ALI and the Hanes is only updated, well, the SAY every year, but in my 4 years, a new one has only come once. There are several web sites where you can do a reverse lookup for phone numbers. This has come in handy on several occasions.

JHMO

mark440
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

We have one fire department that has a "Rip & Run" printer. I love it! It is one extra key stroke as I am adding the call in the CAD but it is worth it. I get less "What was that address again? Repeat that address again." from that department than any of them. I wish the other 11 departments would get a system hooked up. As far as something that I wish everyone had is MDC's. About a 1/3 of the Officers have them. It is so much nicer. Plus, we have a chat room called mIRC. I can put out so much info over that room that doesn't need to go over the radio. We have a pretty good center. I would like flat computer screens also. That would free up a whole lot more room, make it look cleaner and less clutter also.

Stay safe,

Mark

------------------
    If in doubt - Call us out

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

E-911, have had it for 5 months now, the greatest invention ever! I can't even remember life before it (probably don't want to)

9-1-1 What is Your EMERGENCY?

-Nick

p.s. I guess the tv is good too!

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our E-911 is handled out of Concord. All 911 calls go there, and they have EMD's on duty who take the calls. And as far as the TV goes, well, you know how I feel about that Nick. See ya round town.

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Did I forget to mention the wool blanket under the counter?

Uh, I don't know chief, I've never seen that before.

-Nick

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

"Do the letters "F.O." mean anything to you?"

cpr4u
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Smokeeater51...please tell us what "F.O." means.

smokeeater51
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm afraid they would boot me out of the forums if I did. It's actually a one liner from the classic "Smokey and the Bandit".
    The statement is geared towards Nick. We are spatchers in neighboring towns, and he is always giving me crap about how he has it better where he is.

------------------
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt. Spinney

Nick SBFD 6
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

TRUE, TRUE

WFDFFEMTI
    Firehouse.com Guest

Computer Games!
    anything that makes the time pass.

Thread Information