Thread: Lightning

Forum Member

Default Lightning

A couple of days ago the county dispatch center a couple of towns over got struck by lightning, sent 2 dispatchers to the hospital w/minor injuries. Has this happened t oanyone out there? I used to feel really safe, but now I wonder...

-Nick

Yeah, a few weeks ago my dispatch center which dispatches 6 towns was struck by lightning. All the radios went down however, there were no injuries (thank god). The center was taken over by Tolland County dispatch which had been struck about a couple months earlierand the radios became locked on transmit to 33.80, the primary dispatch channel which almost every town in eastern CT uses. The radios stayed on for about an hour as an open microphone so you could hear everything that was happening. I know they say its not true, but lightning strikes in the same place twice...it just happens to be dispatch centers.

Rich,
    HVFD Cadet
    Rich
    HVFD Cadet

Visit us online at <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/hebron228

Whatever" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/hebron228

Whatever</A> I say doesn't represent the opinions of my department.

our county dispatch center got hit on july 4 and it took the 3 yr old radio system down for 2 whole days! all the consoles were down for about 18 hours so the dispatchers were using handheld radio to talk to who they could. nothing worked and it was only a 30 minute thunder strom that did the damage. Lucky thing is noone got hurt that i know of.
    God be with the LODD's from the terror attacks on 9/11/01

when the tones speak I go.

these are my opinions and if any organization I am affilated with doesn't like my opinions they can<br /> KISS MY *****<br />

Forum Member

Sounds like the system wasnt grounded well.
    The tower should be grounded to bedrock. The transmitter cable should be grounded. The transmitter should be gounded. The console should be grounded.

Forum Member

The Barnstable County Sheriffs Office comm center(Mutual Aid for 20 departments/fire dispatch for 5 towns/cmed control for the county) was struck a couple of weeks ago. Phone system terminated for 2 days, no radios damaged, several computers DOA, and most important - 1 operator to the hospital with electrical shock to her forearm - later released. This center has been struck before - its on a hill next to a harbor - but never this severely.

Dave

Forum Member

When I was dispatching, I experienced a lightning hit at my Comm. Center. It took out the radios for a few days but I was not injured. Perhaps because I was not touching the console when it happened? A friend of mine was in the station looking out a window at the time and he said he saw the lightning dancing between the power lines and the staion itself. There was no physical signs of the lightning strike in the radio room, but it cooked the interior of the base station cabinet in the garage.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

Hello neighbor. We get hit ALL THE TIME. Recently I had to go to the EOC located at the fire department to dispatch. We lost everything, however no one was injured. It's a valid point though. All those wires connected to points outside....could happen. I'd hate to have to start wearing linemans gloves to work!
    Take care, stay safe, & stay low!

Lt.

Forum Member

Our Comm. center has been taken out twice by lightning and it's grounded seven ways to sunday.I know of no affordable technology currently available that will protect your center from a DIRECT STRIKE.Grounding and surge suppressors help but a strike is a very high voltage event that overpowers most safeties.Try to scedule your days off on lightning days. T.C.

Im from Australia, and a station in my region was struck by lightning in a huge storm during summer, and it fried all the electronics and radios in the station.... injured one person i think.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    www.fezz.8k.com
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Forum Member

2 weeks ago we had a lighting storm that cuased the backup generator to transfer several time, the trouble was with the quality of the power that was coming from the generator. This cause the ALI Modems that provide the E911 information to go down.

I am a vollie and work for the local telco that installed the E911 equipment. no trouble latly with the radio stuff.

Our comm center took a direct hit last summer. We lost a few control stations, but everything else survived, including all our dispatchers! We even had a Station Master broken in half, but the UHF repeater it was on kept going for 2 days before anyone looked up and noticed the broken antenna.

Someone else has said it here, and I agree: You just can't stop a direct hit. Good grounding and surge suppression does provide ample opportunity to disipate that energy before it finds a human. It may not be able to save all your equipment, but it might just save your life!

We took a hit two weeks ago at a remote shared repeater site. The county lost one repeater and the tower lights will never be the same! We lost the telephone control lines (Verizon's equipment, not mine), and some surge protectors gave their life in performance of their duty, but the repeater stayed up.
    Chuck White

Our comm center took a direct hit last summer. We lost a few control stations, but everything else survived, including all our dispatchers! We even had a Station Master broken in half, but the UHF repeater it was on kept going for 2 days before anyone looked up and noticed the broken antenna.

Someone else has said it here, and I agree: You just can't stop a direct hit. Good grounding and surge suppression does provide ample opportunity to disipate that energy before it finds a human. It may not be able to save all your equipment, but it might just save your life!

We took a hit two weeks ago at a remote shared repeater site. The county lost one repeater and the tower lights will never be the same! We lost the telephone control lines (Verizon's equipment, not mine), and some surge protectors gave their life in performance of their duty, but the repeater stayed up.
    Chuck White

Forum Member

Maybe it would be easier to find out if any dispatch centers haven't been hit by lighting of late!

My roomate works for our county dispatch and advised she gets "zapped" ocassionally through her headset. She advises that she knows of co-workers who have been hit through the phones also. At my department, our dispatch is attatched to the station, with all the towers atop our building, so, we get nailed almsot every time there is a storm. Being in Florida, we get storms almost every day during the summer.
    Bless all of our Fallen Brothers and Sisters. You will not be forgotten

We got struck by lightning once. All the phones and radios went down. No one was injured, but hey, it made our job easy. Dispatch and 911 went to a neighboring department, and we just got to sit there and chat, help the occasional citizen that came into the station.

What I worry about more is if we have a fire. We have a sprinkler system in out dispatch center. Will all the computers and radio equipment, what is all that water going to do to them. And what will happen to us if it does?

[ 09-08-2001: Message edited by: EC116 ]

Originally posted by Steve Hagy:
    <STRONG>Maybe it would be easier to find out if any dispatch centers haven't been hit by lighting of late! </STRONG>

I don`t think our center has been hit yet, it`s on the 8th floor of our government center, which is about 12 stories high. I know they have plenty of antennas, but they must have some kind of lightning rod that`s higher.

In the event 911 goes down, calls can be routed to the firehouses, and tones can be set over from there.

Thread Information