Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    MembersZone Subscriber

Default What should I teach?

I am looking for a little help in doing some training for our dispatchers. What I am trying to do is teach some basic EMS dispatching to our people who have been trained primarily as law enforcement dispatchers.
    What I am looking for is what would be some important points to stress, what information is important (I know what I like to hear on the other side), and what amount of time should be spent on training to hit the important stuff.
    Some of the posts here have given some info, I'm just looking for a little more help.

Thanks in advance.

Is there any chance you could host the "Power Phone" training program for EMS dispatching there? The dispatch centers around here have been using that program with decent results. Most of these programs will train the hosting department at a reduced rate or even gratis. Worth looking into if you haven't considered it.
    Richard Nester
    Orrville (OH) Fire Dept.

"People don't care what you know... until they know that you care." - Scott Bolleter

My first suggestion is to look for some training materials. A good place to start would be your public library. I was surprised to find that my library actually carried some Power Phone books and other related material. How about your EMS training manual? Finally, you might consider visiting the Professional Pride website at http://www.911Trainer.com They've got some fantastic communications training material.

So, gather your information and facts. Decide what's really important - what needs to be covered. Outline your training and develop some lesson plans. Training is not something thats thrown together in a day or two. Take your time...

If you have any other questions e-mail me at: cincyfd@choice.net

Stay safe!
    Mark

If you are going to teach EMS it is important not to confuse it with EMD. The EMD cards are copyrighted and you could run into increased liability if you are using cards that you are not specifically trained for.

As far as training call takers/dispatchers for EMS, start with the basics, the ABC's - Airway, Breathing and Circulation. If they can tell you the patient is breathing then you have answered the first two. Also, the information we get on every call is important like age, sex, nature of problem.

If there is anything else I can help you with let me know.
    fbachner@aol.com

Check out www.powerphone.com
    that's what my former department used.
    It's a great program.
    It's kind of expensive to send a dispatcher through, but if you are the hosting department I believe you get to send four dispatchers through it for free.
    The EMD certification class is three days long, about 8 hours a day. It's a really great class.

Thread Information