Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    MembersZone Subscriber

Thumbs down Our Center Sucks!

Our Dispatch Center Sucks, they dispatch for around 12 fire departments, 2 ambulance services, 2 rescue, and 8 police deparments. They have 1-2 dispatchers on during the day and one in the nighttime hours. They are limited to one radio as far as I know at this time. Most of them are not properly trained and use hillbilly laungage along with misleading directions. I don't think it can get any worse.
    Not to mention the county just turned down a huge grant from fema because they wouldn't move the dispatch center to another location in the county. Making it eaiser on one specific town who doesn't want to bother paying for there own utilities for the police station if the dispatch center is moved. My last complaint of the day is that those dispatchers might shape up a little bit if the 911 director showered more than once a week.

Thats All

BUGGY5632
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Ok let me get this straight...

Is that a typo, or am I seeing correctly that there is a case of B/O in your dispatch center. When you are in close quarters like that, I can see where lack of hygeine can be a problem.

In the 911 center(City of West Liberty, KY) i work we have 5 full time communications officers with 1 911 director.The population served is 15,000 (2000 cenus), 569 sq miles of which app 90% is rural.In 2002 we recieved 9949 calls for service. We recieve, dispatch and log all calls and movements (traffic stop's, etc) for 1 city pd, county sheriff office, and 5 district constables. We dispatch only to Ky state police, Ky fish & wildlife, US agricualture law enforcement, county corner's office and Ky vehicle enforcment. We recieve, dispatch, and log all calls and movements for 7 volly fd out of 10 stations, 1 county rescue squad, and 1 county ems. we also dispatch for a state prison recieving alarms for there faculity.
    We utilize 2 dispatchers app 25% of the time mostly mid day through late evening. We have E-911 through a company called inter-act.

Default Kent County De

Approx 75K during fall and winter, May and June during race weekend population triples. The center called Kent Center dispatched for 18 volunteer fire companies, some with ems 1st responder EMT-B. 12 of the fire comapnies have BLS ambulances. They dispatch the 3 county ALS units. They handle approx 75 to 150 calls a day. They operator on 800 mhz trunked radio system. They are house with the State Police dispatcher. There are normally 3 to 4 working the fireside during peak hours and 2 non-peak hours. For the police side 4 peak 3 non peak. All are EMD certifed and are working towards EFD. Both side utilize and intigrated CAD system. They use a computerized EMD program called ProQA which allows them to input ANI/ALI information into the PROQA for emd purposes and also into the CAD. There is also an interface for alpha numeric paging that is automatically sends the alpha page out when the units are distached to the incident. Fireside work 2 10's and 2 14's police side works 4 12's.

Our dispatch center handles all of York County, Me, and the population is probably a little more than 200,000. We have 29 towns, but 14 in which we dispatch for (fire/rescue/sheriff)
    The other 15 have their own dispatch/police. However, when the 911 call comes in for one of the 15 towns we don't dispatch for, it's up to us to quickly transfer them to the correct dispatch center.
    We have approx 40 Sheriffs...but only 4-8 are on at one time.
    In the dispatch center, our goal is to have 4 on, right now we have 3 during the day, evening and 2 on at night. We have 10 full time dispatchers and about 10 "reserves" that can fill in when needed.

Thread Information