Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question unions for fire/ems dispatchers

any one out there know of any dispatch centers that are union?, wheather they are IAFF or some other union i need all the info i can get. any and all comments would be appriciated.
    mtfd38

Forum Member

In DC, the civilian dispatchers are represented (and I use that term VERY loosely) by the Communications Workers of America, Local 2336. I would rate them, by a wide margin, the worst union of which I have firsthand knowledge.

In Prince George's County, Md., the civilian dispatchers are represented by IAFF Local 1619, the same local that represents uniform fire and EMS.

I have heard of other fire/EMS dispatchers being represented by AFGE and AFSCME, but I can't cite any specific jurisdictions.

Forum Member FireCapt1951retired's Avatar

Dispatchers in Detroit are represented by the same local as our Firefighters and Officers, IAFF Local 344.

South County Fire Alarm - St. Louis County, MO

Thumbs up

There are 3 major FD/EMS dispatch centers in St. Louis County, MO. All the dispathcers are members of IAFF locals. For example here at South County Fire Alarm we are members of Mehlville FPD local 1889.

MembersZone Subscriber

Our county dispatchers are represented by the FOP - Fraternal Order of Police. I'm not quite sure how this works since they are a separate uniformed agency reporting to the county commissioners, not to the sheriff. They may be some sort of affiliate local. I believe the Cincinnati dispatchers are represented by AFSCME.
    Proud to be honored with IACOJ membership. Blessed by TWO meals cooked by Cheffie - a true culinary goddess. Expressing my own views, not my organization's.

Civilian dispatchers (like myself) and police officers in my jurisdiction are represented by AFSCME (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees).

FOUR LETTER FOR YA I.B.E.W. THE CITY OF CHICAGO DISPATCHERS ARE ALL UNDER THEIR UNION. CALL TAKERS MAKE HELPERS SCALE AND THE DISPATCHERS MAKE LINEMANS PAY! OUR UNION AT THE CENTER I WORK AT IS GOING TO CHANGE AND WE R WORKING ON GETTING IBEW. OTHERWISE MOST POLICE DEPARTMENT UNIONS LIKE F.O.P. AND TEAMSTERS LAW ENFORCEMENT WILL REPRESENT CIVILIAN DISPATCHERS.

Howard Couty Communications, in Maryland is represented by IUPA (International Union of Police Associations). We tried at first to go with IAFF but were blocked by the Fire Dept's Local 2000. BTW - we are a combined center...911, Police & Fire Dispatch, also after-hours contact for the County.

Old E6 man-

Just FYI- the PSC in PG County is no longer represented by the IAFF or the FOP. This has not been the case since fire ems and police merged communications. All are now represented by the IUPA or some variation thereof.
    My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Here in Stamford CT the Dispatchers are represented by the UAW (Yes that UAW) The United Automobile Workers. The local we are in is the same generic local that represents all city workers who are not in a trade specific union. This presents some unique issues as we are almost the only group in the union that works rotating shifts, has ample overtime and works weekends and holidays.

Some backround, we used to be an independant union with no national backing, at that time the dispatchers considered other unions but both our local police union and the fire union did not want us. For that matter our own union had to be forced by the labor board to represent us years ago. As far as I know there is no national union for Emergency Communications although I for one would love to see one start. There was a move out of NYC to start one, but I don't think that ever happened.

Alan Shaw
    Public Safety Dispatcher

Thread Information