Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread
    firecptn
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default House numbers in the rural area!!!

I am a Captain in a rural area and the house numbers are hard to locate if they are even there at all. If anyone has any suggestions on a way of improving this situation please let me know.

[This message has been edited by firecptn (edited 12-28-98).]

mattico
    Firehouse.com Guest

we are starting a program where we install them for seniors,disabled etc. in NY state, the property conservation code handled through the code enforcement dept. requires that house numbers be up. we printed up flyers and newspaper ads reminding the public that they were required by law. hope this helps!

fireprez
    Firehouse.com Guest

Usually in an rural area the mailboxes are all located on the road at or near the end of the driveway. I saw a program where the FD printed the number on BOTH sides of the mailbox in LARGE white numbers. You couldn't miss it day or night. If one side of the box was blocked by the paper holder, they put the number on the post, same lettering. (The Post Office appreciated it as well.) Of course a lot of those boxes get mowed down or destroyed for various reasons and you need to have a maint program in place for the numbers to stay useful. Good luck!

jpm
    Firehouse.com Guest

you know this is a funny topic to me .
    we often get directions like go down two cows and make a right at the white horse.
    our county spent ten years and millions implementing a 911 system. in eight years they changed my street name twice and my house number 3 times.although its up and running,they still cant give cross streets or any of are pre-plans.we constantly update are roladexes, and always ask are highway department to put up, up to date street signs. well some might say what is your point. i dont know just pysco babble i guess.

maybe y 2 k will straiten this problem out.

Bob Snyder
    Firehouse.com Guest

This can be a real problem. We've had a few systems in our area, and they've all been flawed in one way or another. We had the "help number" system, where the county is divided into zones and every building in each zone has its own unique number, but it couldn't keep up with development. Now, the municipalities are trying to clean up some of the oddball numbering schemes and geobase everything for cross-streets, but the quality of the geobasing has been shaky at best.

I have a couple of ideas on this, although I don't know if any will work for you. First off, I like the idea of turning house numbering into a community service project. It's good exposure to your residents, and that can really help if your budget comes largely from donations, as ours does.

On the budget subject, some states (including PA, where I am) make grants available to municipalities from 911 phone surcharge money that can be used for activities that aid in the dispatch and response process. Our borough just completely updated its street signs that way (it's more of a help for ambulances and mutual aid companies than for us). Maybe something like that could be used to fund a numbering program (if your state has a grant system like this).

As far as the streets themselves go, I ran with a station when I was in college that covered a township that had given almost every stretch of road a different name. Major arteries (numbered state routes, for instance) were still named the same thing for their entire distance, but others changed at every intersection. It gave us more names to learn, but after you knew the names you could get to the right general area pretty quickly.

Just some thoughts...good luck!

[This message has been edited by Bob Snyder (edited August 04, 1999).]

EMTRookMonty
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm not real sure how this is set up or who pays for it, but in both Ohio and Indiana I've seen rural FD's offering reflective signs that mark the house #'s very effectively.... don't know who manufactures them or anything else, just that they were offered through the FD's and were quite popular.... maybe not the prettiest things though =P

------------------
    Nick, EMT-B
    EMTRook@aol.com

[This message has been edited by EMTRookMonty (edited August 05, 1999).]

*Chinaman*
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation

Here's new from a different part of the World: South Australia. First of all, in rural areas, we do not use house numbers. We use something called rapid number plates. These are 6 numbers which are Grid refrences and come up on the GPS too. It is also possible to find these grid refrence numbers by alligning them on any rural map we use. These rapid number plates are mounted on the main road at the start of the driveway (sometimes 10km long). The rapid number plates look like ordinary car number plates and have a reflective coating on them. It is a perfect system. If the plate has fallen off, you can always rely on your map. Hope this helps, but it would involve a new type of logistics for you guys I suppose....

hozzer
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

LET ME GIVE YOU THESE TWO IDEAS THAT WE ARE INTRODUCING INTO OUR DIFFERENT AREAS FOR BETTER LOCATING HOMES WITH EMERGENCIES AND NO NUMBERS. IM WORKING ON A GRANT TO DISTRIBUTE THEM FREE.
    1. OSL OPERATION STROBELIGHT 1-877-OSL4LIFE
    WEB SITE WWW. operationstrobelight.com

2. operation 911 help 1-407-984-0179
    ron von lunen thisproduct works with a light switch when you clik it twice it flashes and it resets with just a singlr click good luck and hope a grant works out for you.

Thread Information