Ax Slinger
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Need input on Training Computer Program

Greetings Fire Fighters,

I am a software developer with an idea for a computer based 3D Fire Fighting Training Simulation. To some people this could be considered a fire fighting game simulation, but I wish to make it realistic enough to use as a training tool. I plan to simulate as close to the real thing as possible, in as many areas as I possibly can.

In this day of modern technology, I'm sure there are computers (PC's) in nearly every Firehouse in America. When I discovered this forum, I was overjoyed to finally have a way to communicate with many Fire Fighters to discuss ideas for this program.

I was trained to be a Fire Fighter here in Eureka, California, back in the early 1980's, but never was able to get hired anywhere due to my health. I never lost my interest in it, however.

To do this in the manner I would like, I need the input and approval of professional fire fighters. I need to hear what you, the people who would use this program as a training tool, would like to see put into it.

As a general outline, the program will include Structural and Wildland fire fighting techniques, and of course, Haz Mat handling, Search and Rescue, and code 3 driving training and traffic simulations. I do not plan to include any EMT training. That is for another program in itself.

If this is of any interest to you, please post your ideas here, or feel free to email them to me directly. Your input will be greatly appreciated. I need your input, and experience to make this a truly good training tool.

Thank you,

Tim Bankston
    Eureka, California

Kelly Tool
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

This sounds like a good idea, I don't know if it will help but pacific interactive has a fire simulation you can check it out on the web at www.pacificinteractive.com. One thing I would try to do is concentrate in certain areas, for instance have one section devoted to say ladder operations, ventalation tactics etc. That way the software can be used two ways, as a learning tool and a refresher, focusing on a topic with out having to go through all the parts. Any way hope this helps some, good luck, great idea!

------------------
    Put the wet stuff on the red stuff!

Forum Member

Australia, Queensland Fire and Rescue Authority,

Default 3D Fire Fighting Simulation

Hi Tim,
    Your concept has great merit. I have seen some of the "fire simulators" on the market. In my opinion many of them are very expensive and lack "reality". When I look at some of the 3D game engines that have been developed, I have often thought of the potential for these to be adapted to a compartment fire simulation.
    Any successful simulation needs to be able to include the fire behaviour indicators that allow a firefighter to "read the fire". The next step is to allow the "player' (firefighter) to respond with one of the available "weapons" (ie short pulses, medium pulses, lond pulses, jet, power cone, wide spray, tactical ventilation, etc. The result of the use of the weapon would be the correct result from the correct weapon ie; maintain thermal balance, raise the neutral plane, lower the temperature, improve visibility, or; to destroy thermal balance, create too much steam, increase the rate of fire development etc.

I am very keen to talk with you further in relation to this project.
    Shan Raffel MIFireE
    Co-author of 3D Fire Fighting - training, techniques and tactics
    www.3dfirefighting.com
    www.uq.net.au/shanraffel

Forum Member

How about a program for the public to simulate escaping from a fire with a variety of scenerios and a variety of action choices? It could also show the results of the incorrect choices with the ability to "replay" that section after making another choice. While this may have slightly less profitable than training simulators for the fire service personnel, it would be a truly invaluable tool for public educators as it would allow the material to be left in the classroom for student use long after the fire departments lesson (which it could be used for as well). I'm sure this would fill a niche for public educators, and would sell reasonably well.

Forum Member
    Now in Victoria, BC. I'm from beautiful Jasper Alberta in the heart of the Can. Rockies - will always be an Albertan at heart!

I think this may be a record for threads resurrected from the past

6 years!!!!
    September 11th - Never Forget

I respect firefighters and emergency workers worldwide. Thank you for what you do.

Sheri
    IACOJ CRUSTY CONVENTION CHAIR
    Honorary Flatlander

RAY WAS HERE FIRST

Forum Member

I wonder if the original poster is retired now ?

Thread Information