Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Web Address

Firehouse.com Guest

Default Web Address

I have recently begun a webpage for my dept. and, as somewhat of a novice, was wondering how to go about obtaining a "shortened" web address such as xxx.com or xxx.org. Also, what is the approximate cost of obtaining/maintaining this type of address?

Thanks

Tim Costello
    Cedar Knolls Fire Dept
    Hanover Twp. Fire District #3

WLV
    Firehouse.com Guest

You'll need to register the domain name that you want, assuming that it's available. You also will probably need to pay for server space; the ISP where you get the space can advise on getting the domain name. It costs $100 to register a name for the first two years, then $50 each year.

BigJohn
    Firehouse.com Guest

The company I work for deals with creating and maintaining websites for businesses in my area. We have dealt with a company called AIT (Advanced Internet Technologies, or something). What they can do for you is give you 50mb space to store your site & register your domain name with Internic for roughly $20/month, PLUS the initial set up fees. I'm not sure the exact amounts, but it's probably about $40-$50 for their setup and $70 to Internic (for the domain reg.)(I'm 99% sure it's been changed from $100 to $70 for the first two years).

Another thing, if you host the domain with AIT, you don't have a pre-set limit on your e-mail addresses (you can have as many different ones as you want, i.e. for each Firefighter, etc.)

If you want to check AIT out, go to www.aitcom.net.

NOTE:Please don't take this to be an advertisement. I'm in no way affiliated with AIT...Have just dealt with them in the past, with little or no problems.

------------------
    John Higgins
    Perry Twp. VFD
    Lawrence Co., OH
    http://members.xoom.com/ptvfd/

[This message has been edited by BigJohn (edited July 21, 1999).]

Thread Information