Default Geographic Data Display

I'm interested in learning about displaying run information on a map of our jurisdiction. Is anyone doing this kind of thing? What software are you using? Who coded the map? Who updates the map?

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to do it yourself, you'll need road base data and GIS publishing software like MapInfo. Expect to pay around 1500 bucks, however, there is a viewer available for free that allows you to view individual layers and workspaces that someone else builds for you.

Once you have the software, geocoding is the easy part. If the road has address ranges, you can do it automatically. If not, you have to geocode interactively. You can update it as needed.

I've had some success geocoding interactively after importing an Excel table with the required data. Depending on the information you include in your tables (i.e., fire, medical, rescue, time of day, response times, personnel, etc) you can display graphically all sorts of information. The technology is very powerful!

I've learned a lot about this at work and am considering starting a part time business providing this information to my brothers. If I find there's a market, I just may do that.

Forum Member

Re: GIS Data
    Check with your State GIS Clearinghouse. They may be able to provide you with the data. Our Department got the data from our County under an agreement whereby we would give them any updates to our data.
    We got together with another Department and had a program written which will display data, roads, hydrants, signs, water mains, and 50 odd other layers of information. All we have to do is type in the address.
    We also can click on the building that is displayed and retrieve MSDS sheets, building layouts, photos, emergency contacts, Elevators, hazards, building owner, sprinkler and standpipe valve locations.
    Yes it sounds great and it is a neat thing to have on laptop in the car. BUT Someone has to put in or attach all information. This project has been in the works for 3-4 years and I'll be lucky to have it done by retirement. The Map is done and works great but the other info is the time killer. It's worth it to me but will it be worth it to you. Only you know the answer to that. P.S. We use Arcview to edit the map layers. The other data pertaining to each address is in Microsoft Access.

[ 07-23-2001: Message edited by: gcfddata ]

Thread Information