Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
+ Reply to Thread

Question PDA's and the fire service - HAZ MAT & EMS ??

Anyone using a handheld PDA in their daily duties as a HAZ MAT tech, firefighter or first responder (EMS).

thanx

PolishSumgai

Haven't really found them that much useful in the heat of the moment (who sang that song?), but when I have time to sit back and reflect on something I do.

'Course you know you can get the EMS field guides for the Palm, but did you know you can get the NIOSH Pocket Guide to Chemical Hazards?

If you didn't, it's handy and here for $10 - http://shop.store.yahoo.com/pilotgea...spocguidt.html
    It's only my opinion. I do not speak for any group or organization I belong to or associate with or people I know - especially my employer. If you like it, we can share it, you don't have to give me credit. If you don't, we are allowed to disagree too (but be ready to be challenged, you may be on to something I'm not). That's what makes America great!

There are many uses for a PDA on the firground.... the only problem that I see is that they aren't built rugged enough for consistent use on the fireground.

There are several different programs that have been written and are available for the fire service, they have Hydralics programs for pump operators, ERG's and NIOSH Pocket Guides for the Hazmat Boys, and they can be used for Inspection Purposes. I have heard of a program that can be used both as an inspection checklist - and a note taking tool during inspections.

I an trying to find a link for it -- but I believe that there is a department on the West Coast that is using wireless PDA's to replace MDT's in some of their vehicles.

Neat stuff.... I hope they keep developing new applications, and 'ruggedize' PDA's.
    Marc

"In Omnia Paratus"

Member - IACOJ
    "Got Crust?"

-- The opinions presented here are my own; and are not those of any organization that I belong to, or work for.

RJE

My company does custom development for Palm and Pocket PC devices (among other things). If any of you would be interested in something special, send me a "spec".

MembersZone Subscriber

Just a suggestion for you guys that are looking into using palm pilots for any type of incident tracking out in the field,
    I am a Fire Inspector in NJ and I had he opportunity to use a palm pilot to do inspections on, here is what I have found to be not so good.

1. small screen
    2. because of #1 it takes a lot longer to scroll over to see the other side of the screen
    3. I do not have the ability to print from it unless uploaded in to desktop PC

What I am using is called a Pen-Based computer which is really great, here are a few things I like about it:

1. Large screen
    2. Full computer
    3. Able to carry complete data base with me
    4. Able to print out in field without desktop
    5. Protective carrying case
    6. Able to write right on screen or use on screen keyboard

Like I said guys just take these few things into consideration, If anyone would like info on these computers or software to go with them contact me at pete@emergencysoftware.com

Stay Safe,
    Pete

Talking HAZ MAT PDA

Good morning, I use my PDA on a daily basis. I currently use a Hazmatter program from www.scienceonthego.com. Go to this wec site and you will the other fine items that they sell. They have a complete list of great software including the entire ERG guide book, the FOG manuel and others. Take a look. I have bought most of them. Talk to y asoon.

where can i find this Hydralics program for the palm and how much does it cost?

thanks,
    smkdvr42
    Though you are gone brother....you are not forgotten. Support your local EMS and Military! God Bless America!

Talking Hydraulics for PDA

If you go to www.scienceonthego.com they have a program for hydraulics. Watch out though, there are other programs on that web site that are more than irresistable. I also use the ICS and Preplan programs. Good luck.

Thread Information