Thread: World Of Fire Report: 12-17-01
12-19-2001, 11:09 PM #1
World Of Fire Report: 12-17-01
*** America's Fire Paging Notification Network ***
Local & National reports from pager notification networks around the U.S.
(All times are in Central Standard Time unless otherwise indicated)
Monday, December 17, 2001
· STLFN: ST. LOUIS, MO: STLFD has a *1st Alarm* for a fire at the Feed Mill at the foot of East Prairie b/o Pumper 20. They report electrical wires going to the building are on fire. PUMPERS: 20, 26, 12, 33, HL2, BC801, 806, Squad-2. [STL819]. 12:10a.m.
· MFN: PRINCE GEORGES Co., MD: *Working Fire Dispatch* sounded for 811 8th St. at Gorman Ave. Command reporting a working fire. Mutual Aid from Anne Arundel Co. [MFN-1]. 12:12a.m.
· STLFN: ST. LOUIS, MO: Update – STLFD’s *1st Alarm* fire at the Feed Mill, foot of East Prairie. BC 801 reports a transformer is energizing the building. AmerenUE has been requested ASAP. [STL819]. 12:17a.m.
· STLFN: ST. LOUIS, MO: Update – STLFD’s *1st Alarm* at the Archer Daniels Midland Grain Mill, at the foot of East Prairie. BC 801 has requested Squad 1 to the scene. [STL819]. 12:30a.m.
· VERNON, CT: 2nd Alarm at 60 Old Town Rd. Unit 60 “Ryefield Condos” a 2.5-story wood frame with heavy smoke condition. Opening up. [CWP/CT21]. 1:01a.m.
· VERNON, CT: Update - *2nd Alarm* at 60 Old Town Rd. Heavy fire in the basement – knocked down. Checking for extension to other units. Holding Companies. [CT21]. 1:27a.m.
· BROOKLYN, NY: 75-876 at 886 Madison St. near Ralph. 4-story 20x50 occupied multiple dwelling with fire on the top floor. S/C E277, L124, BN-37. [MNS-30*IAP]. 1:50a.m.
· Update – BROOKLYN, NY: 75-876 at 886 Madison St. near Ralph Ave. 4-story brick 20x40 with fire top floor extended to cockloft. All visible fire knocked down. Trucks opening up. Still DWH b/o DIV-15. [MNS-30*IAP]. 1:59a.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD (30-9): Working dwelling fire* Dwelling at 30 N. Morley St. (West Baltimore). BC-3 reports heavy fire showing 1st floor. Working fire dispatch en-route. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 2:40a.m.
· CHICAGO, IL: Still & Box Alarm fire @ 3263 W. Fullerton b/o BN7. 1-story truss roof building. [CHGO-1]. 2:51a.m.
· CHICAGO, IL: 2-11 Alarm fire @ 3263 W. Fullerton b/o BN7. [CHGO-1]. 2:54a.m.
· Update – CHICAGO, IL: 2-11 Alarm at 3263 W. Fullerton. 1-story 50x125 truss roof Auto Body Shop with 5 handlines working. Setting up TL & Snorkel. [CHGO-1]. 2:59a.m.
· CHICAGO, IL: Update: 2-11 Alarm fire @ 3263 W. Fullerton b/o BN7. 1-story truss roof 50x125 Auto Body Shop. 5 lines working. Setting up TL, Snorkel. [CHGO-1]. 3:02a.m.
· FAIRFAX Co., VA: *3rd Alarm* & EMS Task Force at 13849 Braddock Springs Rd. Heavy fire in a Garden Apartment building. Firefighters were trapped. Several injuries. [DC2]. 3:09a.m.
· Update – CHICAGO, IL: 2-11 Alarm fire @ 3263 W. Fullerton has been struck out b/o 2-1-25. 2 Master Streams and 5 lines used. [CHGO-1]. 3:27a.m.
· QUEENS, NY: Working fire – Box 2142 at 101-45 99th St. under LIRR overpass. Using 2 Engines, 2 Trucks. Rubbish fire extended into a 1-story 20x60 building. L173 FAST. Return all Special Units. BN-51. [MNS-30*IAP]. 3:44a.m.
· STLFN: BELLEVILLE (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: East Side FD on scene of a vacant Apartment building fire behind 413 Adeline Ct. First Unit on scene advises heavy smoke showing on arrival. Swansea FD responding M/A. Companies on scene: Engine: 410, 171, TRK 406, Chiefs 175, 401. [STL 835]. 6:45a.m.
· STLFN: BELLEVILLE (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Update on East Side FD’s working fire @ (correction) 117 Adeline Ct. Fire is under control. Special call for St. Clair Co. Sheriff Deputy to investigate fire as arson and board up company has also been requested. *FINAL* (STL 835). 7:20a.m.
· HANDOVER PARK, IL: 2nd Alarm on Box 312 @ 804 Lexington. NFI ATT [CHGO-03/01] (c). 7:39a.m.
· WARREN (MACOMB Co.), NJ: (from 00:00hrs EST) **Fatal Fire** 8636 Parkard x Studebaker. Heavy fire in a single-family dwelling. 1 civilian transported in extreme critical condition, later succumbed to injuries. 1 Firefighter transported with possible fractures, non-life threatening. [FNNM-400,500>510]. 8:16a.m.
· 5-5-5-5 It is with the deepest regret FDNY announces the 9/11 Line Of Duty Deaths of Firefighter Timothy Welty, Squad 288 and Firefighter Robert T. Lane, Engine 55. May they rest in eternal peace. [MNS OFFICE]. 8:18a.m.
· BELLEVUE, WA: 3rd Alarm Commercial structure fire at 10200 x Main St. Mason’s Furniture – fully involved large, historic Commercial structure. Unknown size, exposure Apartments evacuated. [FPNW/MEDIA/WA1//FPNW/WA2]. 8:19a.m.
· MFN: BALTIMORE Co., MD: Dwelling fire (Box 4-16) at 2306 West Chester Ave. Units reporting smoke showing. [MFN 39/MFN-8]. 8:23a.m.
· MFN-Update: BALTIMORE Co., MD: Dwelling fire (Box 4-16) at 2306 West Chester Ave. Occupied dwelling – Primary search negative. Request Air Unit to location. [MFN-39/MFN-8]. 8:27a.m.
· HOWARD Co., MD: Box + *Task Force* for the Warehouse fire at 7194 Oakland Mills Rd. (Co.#6 – Savage). BC-1 reports a 600x100 Warehouse with smoke showing. Working fire. Mutual Aid from Prince Georges Co. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 8:32a.m.
· GOSHEN (ORANGE Co.), NY: Working fire at 34 Warsack Rd. Fire in a Trailer. M/A 4WD Brush Truck to scene from Florida due to limited access. [EAN100]. 8:36a.m.
· Update – HOWARD Co., MD: Box + Task Force – Warehouse fire at 7194 Oakland Mills Rd. Command reports fire knocked down. Holding all Units for overhaul. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 8:37a.m.
· MFN: KENT Co., MD: Possible pipe bomb found in the area of Brices Rd. & Rt.20. Units on scene requests additional resources. Area has been evacuated. (H/L Jack. M) [MFN-1]. 8:51a.m.
· GOSHEN (ORANGE Co.), NY: Working fire at 34 Warsaw Rd. Fire in a Trailer. M/A Brush Truck to the fire. [MNS-30*IAP]. 8:55a.m.
· STLFN: ST. LOUIS, MO: STLFD *1st Alarm* on arrival for a house fire at 4709 Anderson x Marcus. Heavy smoke from an occupied 1.5-story brick. 1 line off. PUMPERS: 26, 24, 12, 10, H&L-15, Rescue Squad-1, BC806, 805. [STL810]. 9:16a.m.
· STLFN: ST. LOUIS, MO: Update – STLFD’s *1st Alarm* house fire at 4709 Anderson. BC806 reports fire is under control. He is returning the Truck, Squad & the Second Buggy. [STL810]. 9:23am.
· QUEENS, NY: All Hands: Box 4487 @ Murray St. & Cherry Ave. 2-story brick 20x40 occupied private dwelling. BATT-52 reports fire #1 floor. Primary search #1 floor negative. DWH. [EAN2]. 9:24a.m.
· Working fire – GREENBUSH, ME: on Rt.2. A building fire. M/a Tankers responding. [TAC9-C101]. 9:25a.m.
· CHICAGO, IL: Working fire – BC10 @ 4630 N. Wolcott. Strike out the forced entry kitchen fire. Hand pumps used. NFI-ATT. [DIL5]. 9:43a.m.
· Working fire – NONTVILLE, ME: Lucas Drive in Whispering Pines Trailer Park. A Mobile Home with smoke showing. 3 towns M/A. [TAC9-C122]. 10:09a.m.
· MFN: ANNE ARUNDEL Co., MD: Dwelling fire (Box 9-32) at 864 Harwood Rd. E92 on location with a 1.5-story dwelling. Heavy fire showing. 2nd Alarm on arrival. [MFN-18]. 10:33a.m.
· ANNE ARUNDEL Co., MD: **2nd Alarm** Dwelling fire at 864 Harwood Rd. (Co.#9 – Harwood-Lothian). Mutual Aid Prince George’s & Calvert Counties. [DC/BMD/E*23-2-10]. 10:38a.m.
· CAMDEN CITY (CAMDEN Co.), NJ: *Haz-Mat* @ 3 Cooper Plaza at Cooper Pediatrics. Chief has placed All Hands in service for a unknown type Chemical release in the building. Companies evacuating building. Numerous EMS to scene. [EAN3308 EAN3305]. 10:38a.m.
· Update – ANNE ARUNDEL Co., MD: 2nd Alarm at 864 Harwood Rd. Large farmhouse well involved. Tanker operations. [DC2]. 10:53a.m.
· MFN-Update: *2nd Alarm* ANNE ARUNDEL Co., MD: Dwelling fire (Box 9-32) at 864 Harwood Rd. Second water supply being set up due to Master stream operations. Units for rehab & BG&E requested. [MFN-18]. 11:07a.m.
· Working fire – FALL RIVER, MA: 17 Alden Street. Reported heavy smoke showing on arrival. Companies report a structure fire. C319, C303 [TAC9-C226]. 11:44a.m.
· Working fire – KEENE, NH: 25 Starling St. A Mobile Home well involved. C461. [TAC9-C811]. 11:44a.m.
· Update – Working fire – FALL RIVER, MA: 17 Alden Street. Reported heavy smoke showing on arrival. CAR-2 reports the fire is knocked down. Companies overhauling. C319,C303. [TAC9-C226]. 12:08p.m.
· MAIDEN TWP., PA: *3rd Alarm* 537 Evansville Rd. 3 large mushroom house’s well involved on the Mushroom Plant property. Several Master streams in operation. M/A from 8 Area Fire Companies. [PA33//EAN10]. 12:47p.m.
· PENNSAUKEN TWP. (CAMDEN Co.), NJ: *Working fire* 2550 Union Ave. Companies on location with fire showing. Going to work. [EAN3305/EAN695]. 12:58p.m.
· OCEAN TWP./WANAMASSA (MONMOUTH Co.), NJ: *2nd Alarm* 1412 Rustic Dr. Building 76. Fire in the 2nd floor Apt. M/A from Oakhurst, Neptune and Eatontown. Fire under control. Companies overhauling. [EAN695]. 1:05p.m.
· MANHATTAN, NY: 77/75-1036 West 72nd St. & Amsterdam Ave. Fire in a Hi-rise. [MNS119]. 1:16p.m.
· MANHATTAN, NY: Update – 77/75-1036 at 1036 West 72nd St. near Amsterdam Ave. Fire on the 9th floor of a 50-story 50x85 irregular shaped building. [MNS119]. 1:23p.m.
· MFN: BALTMORE, MD: *Working dwelling fire* 320 E. Patapsco Ave. (Box Alarm 35-6). BC-6 reporting a single family dwelling wood frame. Heavy smoke & fire showing. [MFN-4]. 2:04p.m.
· MFN-Update: BALTIMORE, MD: Working dwelling fire at 320 E. Patapsco Ave. (Box Alarm 35-6). Command reporting a basement fire. Companies advancing attack lines. [MFN-4]. 2:11p.m.
· MFN-Update: BALTMORE, MD: Dwelling fire (Box 35-6) at 320 E. Patapsco Ave. WFD Safety Officer reporting big holes in floor on side 4 of dwelling. [MFN-8]. 2:28p.m.
· BERN TWP., PA: 2nd Alarm – 573 Mull Ave. Fully involved dwelling. [PA33//EAN10]. 2:29p.m.
· MFN: ANNE ARUNDEL Co., MD: *2nd Alarm* Box 2-23 at 3737 Oak Lane Road. Units reporting heavy fire. Request a 2nd Alarm on arrival. [MFN-13]. 2:48p.m.
· MFN-Update: ANNE ARUNDEL Co., MD: *2nd Alarm* dwelling fire at 3737 Oak Lane Rd. Command reporting fire under control. Holding the 1st Alarm only. Releasing the 2nd Alarm at this time. (MFN-13) [MFN-1]. 3:10p.m.
· EAST ORANGE (ESSEX Co.), NJ: *All Hands* 542 Main St. Working fire in the basement. [EAN38/301/EAN503]. 4:25p.m.
· Working fire – LONGMEADOW, MA: 25 Decelles Ave. Fire in a 1-story shed 25x25 with Propane tanks involved with exposure problems. CT123/C519 [TAC9-C461]. 4:31p.m.
· QUEENS, NY: 75-1235 at 444 Beach 54 St. x Ocean Promenade. Fire 3rd floor of an occupied multiple dwelling. DWH. [MNS432]. 4:45p.m.
· ALEXANDRIA, VA: 2nd Alarm at 1509 Orchard St. Now have heavy fire in attic. Evacuated 2nd floor & roof. Setting up exterior attack. [DC2]. 4:50p.m.
· QUEENS, NY: All Hands – Box 1235 @ Beach 54 St. & Beach Channel Drive. BATT-47 reports fire on the #3 floor of an occupied multiple dwelling. Fire darkening down. Primary searches negative. This fire is PWH. [EAN322//EAN2]. 4:52p.m.
· EDISON TWP., NJ: Working fire at 48 Apple Ave. Fire showing from a private dwelling. [EAN10]. 5:07p.m.
· ALEXANDRIA, VA: 2nd Alarm Update at 1509 Orchard St. x Braddock Rd. Request for 2 more Engines & 1 Truck. Still heavy fire in the attic. All 2nd Alarm Units at work. [DC2]. 5:07p.m.
· STLFN: WENTZVILLE (ST. CHARLES Co.), MO: Wentzville *1st Alarm* trailer fire @ 256 Rolling Meadows in the Rolling Meadows Trailer Park. Report of Propane tanks underneath trailer. NFI. [STL899]. 5:58p.m.
· FAQUIER Co., VA: 2nd Alarm at Pizza Hut Restaurant at 95 Broadview Rd. Co.1 Warrenton has heavy fire through the roof. Request additional manpower. [FPVA3/VFN05x]. 6:29p.m.
· PERTH AMBOY (MIDDLESEX Co.), NJ: *Working fire* 297 Nevel St. Garage fire in proximity to a 2.5-story frame. [MFR4500*EAN301]. 7:01p.m.
· STLFN: HECKER (MONROE Co.), IL: Hecker FD on scene of a person trapped in a flooded vehicle on Wiegand Rd. NFI. [STL 835]. 7:17p.m.
· MFN: BALTIMORE, MD: Apartement fire at 4504 Bonner Rd. Command reporting a 3-story Apartment complex. Interior reporting a working kitchen fire with possible extension. Crews opening the roof at this time. (MFN73) [MFN-1]. 7:50p.m.
· NORTH PLAINFIELD, NJ: Working fire on Harrison St. off Rt.22. Fire on the 2nd floor of a 2-story wood frame dwelling. [EAN10]. 8:17p.m.
· Update – NORTH PLAINFIELD, NJ: Working fire on Harrison St. Bedroom fire on the 2nd floor. 1 handline in operation. [EAN10]. 8:24p.m.
· Update – NORTH PLAINFIELD, NJ: Working fire on Harrison St. Fire knocked down & Under control. Request 1 Engine Company on Stand-by from Plainfield FD. [EAN10]. 8:27p.m.
· Working fire – SPRINGFIELD, MA: 209 Fort Pleasant Ave. Reported dwelling fire. CT80. [TAC9-C20]. 9:38p.m.
· NFBN-Fire: TIOGA Co., NY: *2nd Alarm* structure fire on Village Rd Southside. Command 15-71 with a structure fully involved. Request additional Engine & Tanker from Owego and Tanker from Campville. NYSEG and Fire Investigation requested. [ESFN-1]. 10:00p.m.
· Working fire – ELIZABETH (UNION Co.), NJ: in the area of Jake & Jersey. Fire in a 1st floor apartment of an occupied multiple dwelling. 1 line stretched out. Supply line charged. Main body of fire knocked down. [EAN322]. 10:04p.m.
· Working fire – ATTLEBORO, MA: 55 Leedham Street. OIC reports a fire in a vacant structure. C319/20 [TAC9-C302]. 10:07p.m.
· Update – Working fire – ATTLEBORO, MA: 55 Leedham Street. Fire in a 1.5-story wood frame structure 20x40. (3) lines in operation. C319/C51 on scene. [TAC9-C302]. 10:18p.m.
· Chicago FireHISTORY: Dec 12, 1936 ENGINE 56 to new quarters at 2214 W. Barry (same site as old house). ENGINE 57 to new quarters at 1244 N. Western Ave. Dec. ??, 1869 ENGINE 15 “Illinois organized at 22nd & May (temp). *Dec. 14, 1965: ENGINE 12 at 1641 W. Lake St. disbanded (organized 2/19/1866). Dec. 16, 1928 TRUCK 48 organzied at 2111 S. Hamlin @ Engine 38; WATER TOWER 3 organized at 1401 S. Michigan @ Engine 104. *Dec. 16, 1929: TRUCK 51 organized at 6200 S. State St. [CHGO-18]. 10:24p.m.
· MANHATTAN, NY: Working fire – box 536 at 299 W. 12th St. Fire in the lobby of a 20-story occupied multiple dwelling. L3 FAST. S/C SQ1. MNS154 [MNS-30*IAP]. 11:25p.m.
· MANHATTAN, NY: 75-536 at 299 W12th St. near 8th Ave. 16-story 100x50 occupied multiple dwelling. Fire 1st floor lobby. [MNS-30*IAP]. 11:28p.m.
*** REPORT FROM THE LINE OF FIRE ***
Brooklyn, N.Y. 12/17/01 @ 02:45 hrs.
Bedford / Stuyvesant Section
address: 869 Madison St.
between: Ralph Ave. & Howard Ave.
876 @ 02:39
Engs. 222, 214, 233
Lads. 111, 176
10 - 75 - 876 @ 02:43
Ladder 112 is designated as the "FAST" Truck
Squad Co. #252
4 Story Brick 20 x 30
Exp. #1: Is a Street
Exp. #2: Is a Vacant Lot
Exp. #3: Is a Rear Yard
Exp. #4: Is a Similar Type attach
Special Call an add. Engine & Truck. Eng. 277 & T. L. 124 s/c
All - Hands:
7 - 5 - 876 @ 02:48
Rescue Co. #4
Batt. 37: Using all - hands for a top floor & coch-koft fire in a
4 story brick, occupied mutiple dwelling. We have 2 - lines stretched
& operating. Primary search is being conducted. Fire's Doubtful.
Division 15: Using all - hands for a top floor fire. All visible fire
has been extinguished. We have some extensions to the coch-loft.
Primary search is negative. Trucks are "Opening Up"
The fire remains Doubtful at this time "K"
Division 15: Probably Will Hold at this time.
Division 15: Secondary searches completed and are negative.
Fire is UnderControl.
***BALTIMORE, MARYLAND FIRE HISTORY***
for December 17th:
1952: 6 Alarms - Box#275 - 1727-1739 Llewellyn Ave - Northeast Of Downtown - Fire involved the Roman Fuel Company. (CHM1)
1954: 6 Alarms - Box#6738 - 0238hrs - Chesapeake Ave - Brooklyn (South Baltimore) - Fire involved several dredges & barges @ the Brooklyn plant of the Arundel Corporation, a sand & gravel company - Visibility was near zero during a blinding snowstorm & the fire was @ a location difficult to reach by land companies, so firefighters had to row to the flaming boats - 6 alarms were sounded by 0312hrs - The dredges were named "Defender", "Weller", & "Laun", & were about 100' long & made of all wood - All were blazing from end to end - Acting Lieutenant Joseph Herr, E-17, was on the end of a burning barge with a hose line, & had to leap onto another boat when a sudden flareup of flames engulfed him, receiving a broken leg when he landed - The firefighters fought a losing battle in the cold blustery & bone chilling conditions & were truly glad when their reliefs appeared, most of them were wet to the skin - Firefighter Herr never returned to duty, being placed on the Pension Roll due to his injuries - He was 58 years old & had 33 years with the fire service. (TUH)
1960: 6th Battalion Chief Christian F. J. Reynolds, suddenly collapsed in the quarters of E-2, where they were then quartered, & died - He was the 8th of a group of firefighters appointed on 10/1/1924 to lose his life in the line of duty - He was 59 years old & had given the department 36 years - He was buried in New Cathedral Cemetery on 12/21/1924. (TUH*CHM1)
George T. Ehrman
RESPONSE - HISTORY
17DEC1997 - Beijing, China - MVA - A heavy fog along a highway was the cause of a 40-car pileup which killed 9 and injured 34.
17DEC1996 - Pskov, Russia - Aviation - Shortly after takeoff, a military transport crashed killing all 17 on board.
17DEC1973 - - Terrorism - A ground attack on PanAm customs and plane results in 30 dead and 28 wounded.
17DEC1961 - Niteroi, Brazil - Terrorism / Fire - Disgruntled employee sets fire to a circus tent. 323 are killed, 800 injured, mostly children.
17DEC1944 - Philippines - Typhoon - The US Navy under "Bull" Halsey is surrounded and assaulted by a typhoon that drowns 790, destroys 3 ships & 156 planes and cripples another 28 ships.
17DEC1927 - Undisclosed - Maritime - U.S. sub 'S-4' sinks after collision killing all 34 aboard.
IBN - Editors
Teaneck NJ Fire Dept. Box 54 Club Fireground Rehab.
The Box 54 Club consists of volunteers who assist emergency workers by providing food, beverages, and shelter during their emergency operation.
Benefit Seminar - East Hartford, CT
On Sat. and Sun. Jan. 26 & 27 the East Hartford Firefighters IAFF Local 1548 will host its second annual Benefit Seminar. This year all the proceeds will go to the IAFF Burn Foundation. Speakers at this year’s event will be Dan Noonan, retired FDNY, Battalion Chief Jerry Tracy, FDNY, and Deputy Chief Nick Visconti FDNY. Topics will include, but not limited to: Observations on World Trade Center, World Trade Center Collapse, Fire Service response to the World Trade Center, “Get the Roof”, Low Rise Office Building Fires, and Strip Mall Fires.
The seminar will be held at the East Hartford Cultural Center, 50 Chapman Place - East Hartford, Ct. The times for both days are 9:00 – 4:00. Doors will be open for check-in/registration at 8:30. Price for the event is: $90.00 for 1 day, $150.00 for 2 days or $110.00 per day at the door. Lunch is provided.
For more information please visit our website at: http://www.ittseminars.com/ehfd or contact Ed Badamo firstname.lastname@example.org or Mike Kalette email@example.com . Contact phone number: 860-250-4802.
*** FireNet Group Of The Day: ***
C A R O L I N A S F I R E P A G E
The Carolinas Emergency Network Notification Network
CFP provides coverage to our members based in North and South Carolina and the Savannah, GA area. We page: working fires and multiple alarms, haz-mat incidents, mass casualty incidents, and other disaster information. Our members also maintain a very active email list for follow-ups on jobs, fire buff info, etc. Our web site has apparatus pics and fire station location information. CFP multiple alarm fires appear on WOF, but there is a whole lot more you may be missing!
Call 1-888-491-5201 for information, or visit us at http://www.carolinasfirepage.com
Special Thanks to everyone who contributes fire news. ALSO a BIG THANKS to ALL FireNet pager groups who provide St. Louis FireNet with fire info. For a listing of these groups and how you can get a fire pager please e-mail me at:
Box 8 Club of St. Louis Inc.
World Of Fire E-Mail:
SUBSCRIBE TO World Of Fire Daily Report at:
Subscribe via e-mail to: WOF_Reportfirstname.lastname@example.org
View working fires reports & pictures at:
Content Copyright © 1998-2001 - World Of Fire Report. All Rights Reserved
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)