Thread: World Of Fire Report: 12-18-01
12-20-2001, 11:34 PM #1
World Of Fire Report: 12-18-01
*** America's Fire Paging Notification Network ***
Local & National reports from pager notification networks around the U.S.
(All times are in Central Standard Time unless otherwise indicated)
Tuesday, December 18, 2001
· TENAFLY (BERGEN Co.), NJ: *From 0117hrs EST* Working fire at 75 Columbus Rd. Fire in the attic of a dwelling. 2 lines run. NJ480 on scene. [EAN2]. 1:18a.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD: Dwelling fire at 716 N. Carey St. (Box Alarm 8-1). BC-3 reporting crews advancing attack lines to the interior. [MFN-4]. 2:35a.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD (8-2): *Working fire* in a dwelling at 716 N. Carey St. (Harlem Park – NW of Downtown). BC-3 (Giotis) reports a 3-story brick row with fire showing on the 2nd floor. Possible people trapped. Working fire dispatch en-route. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 2:36a.m.
· Update – BALTIMORE, MD (8-2): Working fire in a dwelling at 716 N. Carey St. BC-3 reports Companies making good progress. Searches negative @ this time. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 2:44a.m.
· YORK (YORK Co.), PA: *2nd Alarm* Building fire at 730 Conewago Ave. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 3:50a.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD (14-6): Dwelling fire in the 2400 block Wilkens Ave. (Southwest of Downtown). BC-3 (Giotis) reports a 2-story brick row with heavy fire 1st floor. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 4:03a.m.
· Update – BALTIMORE, MD (14-4): Vacant dwelling at corrected address of 2556 Wilkens Ave. BC-3 reports Companies making good progress. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 4:10a.m.
· DETROIT, MI: *2nd Alarm* Gratiot @ Crane. Fire in a Supermarket. All Companies ordered to defensive operations. [FNNM-16,269,600,500>400]. 5:25a.m.
· DETROIT (WAYNE Co.), MI: Update *2nd Alarm* Gratiot @ Crane. Fire in the “Super Giant Super Market.” Building is a large 1-story irregular shaped building. Fire now being called under control. [FNNM-16,500,600,269, 400] ©. 5:55a.m.
· MANHATTAN, NY: 66-22-1354 *2nd Alarm* Amsterdam Ave & W. 113rd St. Fire in a Church. [MNS27]. 6:14a.m.
· Working fire – PROVIDENCE, RI: Box 1322 at 152 Reynolds Ave. 2.5-story building with fire upper floors b/o BC2. C305 [TAC9-C28]. 6:19a.m.
· 3rd Alarm – MANHATTAN, NY: 33-1354 at 113th St. & Amsterdam Ave. Fire in a Church. [MNS-88]. 6:29a.m.
· Update – Working fire – PROVIDENCE, RI: Box 1322 at 152 Reynolds Ave. 2.5-story wood frame 30x30 building with heavy fire through out. 3 lines stretched operating. All Companies ordered out of the building. DWH. C303 on scene. C305 [TAC9-C28]. 6:30a.m.
· 4th Alarm – MANHATTAN, NY: 44-1354 at 113th St. & Amsterdam Ave. Fire in a Church. Exterior operations. 3 T/L stretched out. [MNS-88/27*]. 6:34a.m.
· 5th Alarm – MANHATTAN, NY: 55-1354 at W. 113th St. & Amsterdam Ave. Fire in St. Johns Church. 3 T/L stretched operating, one 95’ T/L operating. Exterior operations. No size up given. [MNS-88/27/30*]. 6:50a.m.
· Update – Working fire – PROVIDENCE, RI: Box 1322 at 152 Reynolds Ave. Companies going back to interior attack. S/C 1 Engine. Fire is under control. PWH. C303/305/319 [TAC9-C28]. 6:50a.m.
· Update – MANHATTAN, NY: 55-1354 W. 113th St. & Amsterdam Ave. Fire in the Cathederal St. Johns Church. 3 Towers stretched operating with extension to exposure 2. Church is a 400x150. [MNS-88/27/30*]. 7:00a.m.
· Update – MANHATTAN, NY: *5th Alarm* 55-1354 at 1047 Amsterdam Ave. & W. 113th St. FDNY CAR-1 (FIRE COMM) on scene reports heavy fire condition in the St. Johns Church. Church is 400x150. Still very DWH. 2 extra Trucks over 5th Alarm. [MNS-88/27/30*]. 7:48a.m.
· STLFN: BELLEVILLE (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Belleville FD on scene of smoke coming from a building @ 4505 West Main St. Light smoke showing on arrival. Companies: Engine 3, Truck 2, Chief 3. Engine 4 moved up to Engine House #2. Fire now under control. *FINAL* [STL 835]. 7:56a.m.
· Working fire – EVERETT, MA: Box 327 at 153 Main Street. OIC reports smoke showing on arrival from the chimney. Request for an extra Engine & Ladder to the scene. [TAC9-C302]. 8:16a.m.
· 2nd Alarm on arrival – QUINCY, MA: Box 1732 at 1154 Sea Street. Engine 6 reports heavy fire showing on arrival from a house. Reported person trapped. Mutual Aid for Station coverage. [TAC9-C302]. 8:24a.m.
· 3rd Alarm – QUINCY, MA: Box 1732 at 1154 Sea Street. Engine 6 reports heavy fire showing on arrival from a house. Reported person trapped. Mutual Aid for Station coverage. [TAC9-C302]. 8:28a.m.
· Update – Working fire – EVERETT, MA: Box 327 at 153 Main Street. Fire in the basement of a structure. Mutual Aid for Station coverage. PWH. [TAC9-C302]. 8:28a.m.
· Update – 3rd Alarm – QUINCY, MA: Box 1732 at 1154 Sea Street. CAR-2 reports heavy fire in a structure. Exterior attack. Request for an extra Engine to the scene. Very DWH. [TAC9-C302]. 8:30a.m.
· Update – 3rd Alarm _ QUINCY, MA: Box 1732 at 1154 Sea Street. CAR-1 reports a house fully involved. Exterior attack underway. Big lines going into operation. Mutual Aid for Station coverage. DWH. [TAC9-C302]. 8:38a.m.
· Update – MANHATTAN, NY: *5th Alarm* 55-1354 at 1047 Amsterdam Ave & W. 113th St. Chief Nigro reports fire in the St. Johns Cathederal Church – Places fire PWH. [MNS-88/27/30*]. 8:46a.m.
· Update – 3rd Alarm – QUINCY, MA: Box 1732 at 1154 Sea Street. OIC reports a fire in a 1.5-story wood frame structure. Heavy fire knocked down. Companies making an interior attack. [TAC9-C302]. 8:53a.m.
· Update – 3rd Alarm – QUINCY, MA: Box 1732 at 1154 Sea Street. OIC reports (1) 10-45 Code 1 (DOA) on scene. Requests for the Medical Examiner to the scene. [TAC9-C302]. 9:22a.m.
· NEWARK (ESSEX Co.), NJ: *Possible Haz-Mat* Northern State Prison (Frontage Rd). EMS requested with Fire for an unknown Hazmat job in the mailroom of the prison. [EAN503]. 10:14a.m.
· MT. SINAI (SUFFOLK Co.), NY: Working fire #304 Rt. 25A x West Gate. Fire in a Restaurant. M/A Sound Beach for FAST Team. [MNS 74/270]. 10:23a.m.
· MFN: BALTIMORE, MD: Dwelling fire at 2100 Chelsea Terrace. Box Alarm 20-9. T-10 reporting a 2-story frame with heavy smoke & fire showing. All occupants out. [MFN-4]. 10:27a.m.
· MFN: BALTIMORE, MD; *2nd Alarm* 2102 Chelsea Terrace. Box Alarm 20-9. BC-5 reporting heavy fire upper floors of a 3-story frame. [MFN-4]. 10:33a.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD (21-9): *2nd Alarm* b/o BC-5 (Devilbiss) Dwelling at 2102 Chelsea Terrace. (Walbrook – NW of Downtown). BC-5 reports a 3-story wood frame dwelling with heavy fire in the attic. Exterior operations. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 10:34a.m.
· BROOKLYN, NY: All Hands Box 2598 at 4317 18th Ave. Fire in an occupied multiple dwelling with reports of people trapped on upper floors. DWH. [EAN100]. 10:47a.m.
· BROOKLYN, NY: 75-2853 at 4317 18th Ave. Fire in a 3-story brick store + dwelling above. S/C TL. [MNS119/62 on scene]. 10:49a.m.
· Update – BROOKLYN, NY: All Hands – Box 2598 at 4319 18th Ave. Fire 2nd floor rear of a 3-story brick occupied multiple dwelling 20x50. 2 lines stretched, 1 in operation. Primary search negative. PWH. [EAN100]. 10:49a.m.
· BROOKLYN, NY: Update: 75-2598 at 4319 18th Ave. Fire 2nd floor rear of a 3-story attached brick. Main body of fire knocked down. [MNS119/62]. 10:55a.m.
· CAMDEN (CAMDEN Co.), NJ: *Working fire* Berkely & Henry Streets. Companies have heavy fire on the #2 floor of a 3-story dwelling. Had a jumper from the #2 floor. All Hands in service. NFI. [EAN3307]. 11:43a.m.
· LAWRENCE, IN: 2nd Alarm at 8700 E. 46th St. Apartment building with heavy fire conditions. Defensive operations. Indianapolis M/A with 2 Engines & 1 Ladder. [INDY-12]. 11:51a.m.
· Update – CAMDEN (CAMDEN Co.), NJ: *Working fire* Berkely & Henry Streets. BC-1 reports primary search is negative at this time. PWH. [EAN3307]. 11:51a.m.
· *Final* CAMDEN (CAMDEN Co.), NJ: Working fire at Berkely & Henry Streets. Jumper was taken to Cooper Trauma. Unknown condition at this time. Bulk of fire knocked down. PWH. [EAN3307]. 11:58a.m.
· DONALDSON (SCHUYLKILL Co.), PA: 2nd Alarm at 2185 Sherman Mountains Rd. @ Mercury Coal Co. Structure with heavy fire threatening fuel tanks. M/A Tankers to the scene. [EAN14/DC/PA1]. 12:02p.m.
· YONKERS (WESTCHESTER Co.), NY: *Working fire* 263 Wharburton Ave. near Union Place. Fire in an unknown type building. [EAN301]. 12:21p.m.
· Update – YONKERS (WESTCHESTER Co.), NY: **All Hands** 263 Wharburton Ave. near Union Place. S/C for an additional Engine. DWH. [EAN301]. 12:30p.m.
· YONKERS (WESTCHESTER Co., NY: **2nd Alarm** 263 Wharburton Ave. Fire in an unknown type building. Command reporting low water pressure and heavy fire. [EAN301]. 12:33p.m.
· QUEENS, NY: All Hands – Box 5765 @ 131st Ave. & 223rd St. BATT-54 reports fire in a 2.5-story brick 20x40 private dwelling. 2 lines run. DWH. [EAN2]. 12:43p.m.
· MANHATTAN, NY: All Hands – Box 1217 @ E. 94th St. & Madison Ave. 5-story brick 100x200 occupied building. BATT10 reports fire #4 floor. DWH. [EAN2]. 12:53p.m.
· NEWARK (ESSEX Co.), NJ: *Boiler Explosion* 555 Mt. Prospect Ave. EMS requested by FD for 2 patients injured by a boiler explosion. [EAN503]. 1:01p.m.
· Update – NEWARK (ESSEX Co.), NJ: *Boiler Explosion* 555 Mt. Prospect Ave. EMS on scene reporting 1 patient with head injury and 1 patient with eye injury. [EAN503]. 1:07p.m.
· YONKERS (WESTCHESTER Co.), NY: (1330hrs EST) *2nd Alarm* @ 263 Warburton Ave. @ Gold St. Fire in the attic of a 3-story frame dwelling. Had severe water problems. Fire is now knocked down. [MNS66]. 1:11p.m.
· QUEENS, NY: All-Hands – Box 4455 @ Kissena Blvd & Cherry Ave. 16-story brick 150x100 occupied multiple dwelling. BATT-52 reports fire 15th floor. Fire knocked down. Return all Special Units. Primary search negative. PWH. [EAN2]. 1:44p.m.
· PHILADELPHIA, PA: All Hands *Box 1675* at 57th & Thomas Avenue. BC reports a 2-story middle of row with fire #1 floor. Medium smoke. [EAN3386]. 2:22p.m.
· Update - PHILADELPHA, PA: *All Hands* Box 1675 at 57th & Thomas Avenue. BC reports 2-story middle of row. Primary search negative. Fire has been knocked down. All Hands still in service. [EAN3386]. 2:23p.m.
· MFN: BALTIMORE Co., MD: Dwelling fire at 800 Wellington Valley Rd. Command on scene reporting a 2.5-story dwelling with small fire on the interior. Fire knocked down at this time. [MFN-1]. 3:35p.m.
· CECIL Co., MD: *Working fire* Mobile Home @ 15 Hillcrest Dr. (Co.#7 – Port Deposit) “Conowingo Mobile Home Park.” Mutual Aid Harford Co. E-914 (Darlington VFC). [DC/BMD/E*23]. 3:37p.m.
· MFN-Update: BALTIMORE Co., MD: Dwelling fire at 8501 Wellington Valley Way. Command advising they had fire in an attached garage. Fire under control. MFN AV1 on scene. [MFN-1]. 3:51p.m.
· FREEHOLD TWP. (MONMOUTH Co.), NJ: Working fire at 3275 Rt.9 “Spirits Unlimited.” Commercial building with apartments above. M/A Engine to the scene from Howell Twp. (Adelphia FC). [EAN100]. 3:52p.m.
· Update – FREEHOLD, NJ: Working fire at 3275 Rt.9. Fire is under control. Companies overhauling. [EAN27/503/EAN100]. 4:11p.m.
· JERSEY CITY (HUDSON Co.), NJ: *Working fire* Marin Blvd and Morgan St. Heavy fire on the 2nd & 3rd floors of a 4-story brick vacant Warehouse – extending upward. [EAN301]. 4:33p.m.
· JERSEY CITY (HUDSON Co.), NJ: **2nd Alarm** Marin Blvd and Morgan St. Fire blowing out numerous windows of a vacant 4-story brick Commercial building. [EAN301]. 4:36p.m.
· Update – JERSEY CITY, NJ: *2nd Alarm++* Marin Blvd. & Morgan St. Heavy fire in a vacant 4-story Commercial building. S/C for two additional Engine Companies. [EAN301//322//EAN10]. 4:53p.m.
· NEWARK (ESSEX Co.), NJ: **All Hands** 29 Beaumont Place. Fire in a basement. [EAN24/202/EAN503]. 5:02p.m.
· Update: NEWARK (ESSEX Co.), NJ: *All Hands* 29 Beaumont Place. Fire confined to the basement – now knocked down & under control. [EAN322-10-24-202 EAN503]. 5:12p.m.
· Update – JERSEY CITY, NJ: **2nd Alarm++** Marin Blvd & Morgan St. Heavy fire knocked down. All Companies working. Making good progress. [EAN103/301/322/EAN10]. 5:20p.m.
· STLFN: BELLEVILLE (ST. CLAIR Co.), IL: Belleville FD is on the scene of a fully involved shed fire at Eckerts located at Rt.15 & S. Greenmount Rd. The building is on the ground. Freeburg FD also responded. Units are hitting hot spots. *FINAL* [STL997]. 5:27p.m.
· LONGSWAMP TWP., PA: *3rd Alarm* Chestnut & Barclay Streets. 2.5-story wood frame dwelling well involved. M/A to work/cover. [PA33//EAN10]. 5:55p.m.
· Working fire – DERRY, NH: 356 Island Pond Road. Fire in a barn 20x40 – well involved. M/A en-route. C603 [TAC9-C461]. 6:15p.m.
· MONTAGUE, MA: 2nd Alarm at Center Street. Unknown type building. [CWP/CT80]. 6:22p.m.
· BALTIMORE, MD: Dwelling fire (Box 44-11) 4403 Atwick Ave. BC-4 reports an occupied dwelling with smoke showing from attic. All occupants out of the 2.5-story dwelling. [MFN-8]. 6:42p.m.
· MFN-update: BALTIMORE, MD: Dwelling fire (Box 44-11) 4403 Atwick Ave. Companies advancing lines to attic. BC requests FIB, Air Cascade & BG&E to location. Medic 11 for standby @ location. [MFN-8]. 6:45p.m.
· *Haz-Mat* LODI (BERGEN Co.), NJ: on Arnot Place. Chlorine leak with Acid. S/C Garfield Haz-Mat & Bergen County Haz-Mat. [EAN301/EAN322]. 7:02p.m.
· Working fire – CONCORD, NH: on Village Street. Fire in a 1-story 15x30 building. M/A to cover. [TAC9-C101]. 7:40p.m.
· MFN: BALTIMORE Co., MD: 7500 North Point Rd. across from Station 26 (Northpoint Edgemere). Command reporting heavy fire showing. MFN73 [MFN-1]. 7:45p.m.
· BALTIMORE Co., MD: *Working fire* Vacant Grocery Store at 7500 North Point Rd. (Co.#26 – North Point/Edgemere VFC). Units on scene reports building 30% involved across from Co.#26. Working Fire Dispatch en-route. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 7:47p.m.
· MFN-Update: BALTIMORE Co., MD: *Working Fire Dispatch* with 2 additional Engines on Old North Point Rd across from Station 26. Command has a large vacant storefront (Old Grocery Store). Had fire in 30% upon arrival. [MFN-1]. 8:00p.m.
· Update – BALTIMORE Co., MD: Working fire in a Grocery store at 7500 N. Point Rd. across from Co.#26. BC-33 reports a 1-story vacant Grocery store. Exterior operations. Have 1 injured Firefighter with a cut to hand. Requests 2nd Medic & 2 additional Engines (61 & 15). Air 248 out of service with electrical fire. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 8:09p.m.
· MFN: BALTIMORE Co., MD: **2nd Alarm** sounded for Northpoint Rd at Lodge Farm and Lodge Forest. Command reporting heavy f ire in a vacant Grocery store. Master streams in service. [MFN1]. 8:11p.m.
· BALTIMORE Co., MD: **2nd Alarm** Vacant Grocery at 7500 North Point Rd. across from Co.#26. BC-33 requests “Fill out the 2nd Alarm.” Have partial collapses. [DC/BMD/E*23]. 8:15p.m.
· Working fire – RARITAN TWP. (HUNTERDON Co.), NJ: 128 Franklin Ct. Basement fire in a dwelling. FAST Team assigned. [EAN322]. 8:22p.m.
· NEWARK, NJ: Box 4327 at 55 Magnolia St. EMS on scene reports heavy fire showing from a 2-story dwelling – possible people trapped. [EAN10]. 8:31p.m.
· Update – NEWARK, NJ: Box 4327 – Working fire at 55 Magnolia St. Fire through the roof of a 2-story wood frame dwelling. [EAN318/322/EAN10]. 8:37p.m.
· FireHISTORY: Dec.16,1960 in Brooklyn 77-55-1231 plus a Boro Call 77-1231-66-22-174 (2nd Alarm response from Manhattan Box 174) for a mid-air plane collision. One plane crashed in Staten Island & the other at Sterling Place & 7th Ave. killing 134 onboard. Also many buildings caught fire in the area and a school with 1500 students was threatened. Fifty Fire Companies responded, including 4 of the 5 Rescue Companies. Four members of first due Ladder 105 received medals. *On Dec 19 while some Companies were still working at the plane crash 77-55-308 plus a Boro Call 77-308-66-22-277 for a fire at the Brooklyn Navy Yard aboard the aircraft carrier CONSTELLATION – the largest in the Navy. 3,000 workers were trapped, many below deck. 50 people died and 300 injured. Again 4 of the 5 Rescue Companies worked, plus five Fireboats. [CHGO-18]. 9:45p.m.
· City of READING, PA: Working fire – Box 38 at 213 Greenwich St. Heavy fire showing from a 3-story mixed/occupied building. Stores on the 1st floor with apartments above. FD reports shots fired at the scene. [PA33//EAN10]. 9:46p.m.
· FYI – MANHATTAN, NY: 66-55-1354 *5th Alarm* this morning at the CATHEDRAL OF ST. JOHN THE DEVINE (Episcopal) was in the LARGEST Cathedral in the world. (Some Churches are larger, but size does not make a Cathedral). It was started in 1892 and work continued on & off over the years, BUT COMPLETION IS NOT IMMINET. Work resumed in 1979. There is a very impressive memorial inside for the 12 members of the FDNY killed on Oct. 17, 1966 at 23rd & Broadway. [CHGO-18]. 10:03p.m.
*** REPORT FROM THE LINE OF FIRE ***
11/30/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 16:26 Working fire at 1 South Lane. Smoke showing from the basement of a 2 story, brick. Engines 26, 36, 19, trucks 12, 13 and 4.
12/1/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 15:23 Working fire at 115 Rounds. Smoke showing from the rear of a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 23, 34, 38, trucks 7, 13 and 14.
12/2/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 09:55 Working fire at 162 Sprenger. Heavy fire showing from a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 31, 23, 33, trucks 14, 7 and 11.
Buffalo, N.Y. 18:27 Working fire at 820 Elmwood. Fire in the basement of a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 37, 19, 36, trucks 4, 9 and 6.
12/3/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 05:50 Working fire at 136 Heath. Smoke showing from a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 34, 23, 33, trucks 7, 13 and 14.
12/4/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 16:50 Working fire at 41 Highgate. Fire on the second floor of a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 34, 24, 23, trucks 7, 13 and 14.
12/5/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 04:45 Working fire at 782 Fillmore. Heavy fire showing from the second floor of a large 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 18, 22, 3, trucks 11, 14 and 5. At 04:50 a second alarm was requested. Engines 33, 32, 16, trucks 15 and 9. Six civilians were rescued from this fire, however two perished.
12/7/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 20:48 Working fire at 342 Davidson. Smoke showing from a 2 story frame. Engines 23, 34, 24, trucks 14, 7 and 13.
12/9/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 23:27 Working fire at 552 Seventh. Fire showing from the second floor of a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 2, 37, 1, trucks 4, 2 and 6. At 23:33 and additional engine (16) and truck (11) were requested.
12/10/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 00:40 Working fire at 519 Virginia. Fire in the rear of a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 2, 16, 1, trucks 9, 2 and 4. At 00:45 a second alarm was requested. Engines 37, 3, 21, trucks 5 and 11.
Buffalo, N.Y. 17:50 Working fire at 52 Thatcher. Smoke showing from the first floor of a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 23, 31, 24, trucks 14, 13 and 6.
12/14/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 22:21 Working fire at 398 Olympic. Fire on the second floor of a 1 1/2 story frame. Engines 23, 34, 24, trucks 7, 14 and 13.
12/16/01 Buffalo, N.Y. 02:50 Working fire at 115 Mills. Fire in the rear of a 2 1/2 story frame. Engines 18, 22, 3, trucks 11, 5 and 6.
LOS ANGELES, CA:
GREATER ALARM STRUCTURE FIRE:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2001 at 1031 Hours (10:31 AM PST), eleven Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters, one LAFD Rescue Ambulance and two Battalion Officer Command Teams, all under the direction of Acting Assistant Chief Robert Rose, responded to a Greater Alarm Structure Fire at 22185 Hibiscus Hill Drive in the Woodland Hills area. The first Company to arrive on scene reported a vacant two-story townhome over parking with heavy smoke showing. Firefighters using handlines forced entry and with timely and well-coordinated vertical ventilation, were able to hold the fire to the attic, extinguishing the flames in just 33 minutes. There were no injuries. Loss from this fire is estimated at $25,000 to the structure only. The cause of this fire is listed as accidental, and is attributed to the electrical malfunction of a ceiling fan.
LOS ANGELES, CA:
CIVILIAN FATALITY STRUCTURE FIRE:
On Tuesday, December 18, 2001 at 1814 Hours (6:14 PM PST), five Companies of Los Angeles Firefighters and one LAFD Rescue Ambulance under the direction of Battalion Chief Leonard Thompson responded to a Civilian Fatality Structure Fire at 1706 West 60th Street in the Hyde Park area. The first Company to arrive on scene reported a single family dwelling with light smoke showing. Firefighters were met at the door of the home by a neighbor who had made entry and attacked the flames with a garden hose. This person extinguished the fire prior to the Fire Department’s arrival. Discovered by Firefighters just inside the home’s front door and seated in a wheelchair, was an adult male invalid who was burned and deceased. Damage to the home was limited to the immediate area in which the man was discovered. There were no other injuries. Estimated monetary loss from the fire is still being tabulated. The precise cause of the fire, as well as the man’s death, remains listed as under investigation.
REPORTS PREPARED BY:
Yours in Safety and Service,
Public Service Officer
Los Angeles Fire Department
200 North Main Street, Room EOC-423
Los Angeles, CA 90012 USA
Fax: (213) 485-2708
LAFD E-Mail: email@example.com
LAFD Website: http://www.lafd.org
LEWISVILLE, TX: 2nd Alarm Structure Fire. 1111 S. I-35E. 1-Story restaurant, fire in the walls. Roof opened. Battalion 162, Engines 163, 164, 166, 161, Quint 162, Truck 161, Medics 163, 161, Chiefs 161, 162, 163, 164, 166, 167, 168, Investigator D/C 165, 164, Rehab 160, Carrollton Engine 116, B/C 111, Utility 113. 1220 hours.
12/18/01 2nd Alm Fire District #2 NE Johnson County, KS Cloverleaf office bldg, 6901 Shawnee Mission Parkway x Metcalf/Foster, BC205 has fire showing from roof of a 5-sty 50 x 200 office bldg. Add'l engine & quick deuce struck, 2nd alm cos staged and dismissed.
1st Alm @ 1805: E221, Trk251, BC205, Overland Park E421, Q451, EMS1141. Add'l Engine @ 1807: Merriam E620
2nd Alm @1812: E222, E223, Shawnee E721, Overland Park E422, EMS1142, EMS Supvsr 1103.
U/C @ 1829hrs.
***BALTIMORE, MARYLAND FIRE HISTORY***
for December 18th:
1965: 4 Alarms - Box#353 - 81 Mosher St - Mount Royal (Northwest Of Downtown) - Fire involved the Barton-Duir Paper Company. (CHM1)
1966: 6 Alarms - Box#8144 - 0706hrs - 4701 N Charles St - Homewood (North Baltimore) - Fire involved the Mary Meletia Hall @ the College of Notre Dame of Maryland - An intense fire was burning in a lounge room & extending upwards, while 170 female students were fleeing down the stairway - BC-9, Vincent Simansky, ordered 6 alarms sounded in 5 minutes - Lieutenant John E. Hochstedt, E-44, rushed into the blaze with a hose line & collapsed from a heart attack within a few minutes - Carried outside, he was given mouth to mouth resuscitation by Captain Joseph Hannson, T-2 (off duty), & Lieutenant John Frazier, E-8, but failed to revive - He was buried on 12/21/1966 @ Meadowridge Memorial Cemetery - A great stop was made by firefighters, the fire completely burned out the downstairs lounge room, but did not extend any further. (TUH*CHM1)
George T. Ehrman
RESPONSE - HISTORY
18DEC1995 - Cape Town, South Africa - HAZMAT - A brushfire near a sulphur stockpile sends a toxic cloud of burning sulphur into the air. One hundred people are overcome by the fumes and over 2500 others are evacuated.
18DEC1944 - Luzon, Phillipines - Typhoon - Destroyers 'Hull', 'Spence' & 'Monaghan' sink in typhoon 500 miles off the coast with loss of 769 lives.
18DEC1997 - Guam - Typhoon - A typhoon with wind gusts up to 200 mph courses through this American territory, destroying almost 20% of the homes and creating $100 million in damages.
IBN - Editors
The Johnstown Fire Department
*** FireNet Group Of The Day: ***
(MNN) Mountain News Net - James Richardson
P.O. Box 2119,
Dillon, Colorado 80435
Covering the state of Colorado
303-628-4601 or 800-748-3553
Mountain NewsNet an emergency incident paging notification system based in Denver has expanded greatly. We now offer Firenet alphanumeric paging services to the entire states of Colorado, Nebraska, Wyoming and the cities of Salt Lake City, UT, Billings, MT and Rapid City, SD. Now covering by far the largest square miles but probably smallest overall population of any of the 30+ firenet systems across the country.
Interested in receiving multi-alarm fires and other breaking news incidents from across the country in any of those areas please contact us.
We also are always looking for dispatchers across all these areas if you interested in helping out and free pager service then contact firstname.lastname@example.org for further details.
Free trial pagers are available if you'd just like to see just what we offer
Special Thanks to everyone who contributes fire news. ALSO a BIG THANKS to ALL FireNet pager groups who provide St. Louis FireNet with fire info. For a listing of these groups and how you can get a fire pager please e-mail me at:
Box 8 Club of St. Louis Inc.
World Of Fire E-Mail:
SUBSCRIBE TO World Of Fire Daily Report at:
Subscribe via e-mail to: WOF_Reportemail@example.com
View working fires reports & pictures at:
Content Copyright © 1998-2001 - World Of Fire Report. All Rights Reserved
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)