GeorgeHTH30
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Personnal Safety

Personnal Safety is the utmost concern for all emergency personel. For those of you who render thier services while driving in thier personal when coming upon an accident scene this is for you! I rendered my services one morning to two victimds of a traffic accident before emergency helped arrived. When the scene was all clear and I went on my way I noticed a small amount of blood on my hand. I stopped at the nearest service station to get washed up. From this incident I learned to carry protective gloves in my vehicle. With all the communicable diseases out there we have to be save when rendering our services. I hope that all of you who would do the same to assist accident victims please from now on if you dont already -- carry protective gloves for your personnal protection.
    George L.
    Safety Officer
    HTH Co. #3
    hth3020@aol.com

andyS5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello,
    I have learned like you that it is best to be ready for almost anything.
    I carry a jump kit at in both my POV and my work truck and have a cell phone in both we must always be ready but we must protect ourself's.

------------------

Andy Williams
    Firefighter/MVFD

Andy Henne
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi!

This post is certainly timely! I walked into my boys daycare today to pick him up and saw staff members running around frantically. One of them yelled up the hallway, "Did you call 911?" I asked what she needed, and she asked ,"Do you know CPR?" I said yes (as my BP jumped about 30 points) and she led me to the front office where several of them were gathered around a child laying on the floor (left lateral recumbent).

I gave one of the teachers the keys to my car, threw her a quick description of the car (I was parked right out front), and sent her for my jump kit.

Then I did a quick assessment and figured out she was breathing (deep, rapid, equal BS, mucous and drooling profusely), and had a pulse (quite rapid) (Thank God). She was about 5-6 y. o. and had a history of febrile seizures. I had an electronic thermometer and found her temp to be 101.2. Not really high for a youngster, but maybe her tolerance was low. She had felt sick most of the day.

Anyway, the lady came back with my med bag, a bit out of breath, and relieved she had found the right car (Eurosport w/ Star of Life in window), the right kit (not my bunker bag), and the right key (sounds like starting an I.V., eh?). I monitored, got a hx, and assessed until the FD showed up, and eventually the Paramedics.

I received a call tonight during dinner (as I was shoving food into my 7 month old's "starving" face) from one of the school administrators thanking me for being there and stepping in... The little girl is fine, and will be tired for a few days, but no harm done.

George, you got it right. We as EMT's and firefighters need to protect ourselves. Not everyone has a large ALS bag such as mine, nor the desire to carry one, but it's real nice when you at least carry a pocket mask, and a pair of gloves. You can handle just about anything medical with those two items.

Thanks for the post... I will continue to advise our guys at least that they should be prepared. It's only for our good, and to the benefit of any patient we may happen upon.

Thanks,
    Andy

Thread Information