Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12
    Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Congratulations on the successful air drop! I hope all goes well! Keep us posted.

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well all here is the update of the South Pole drop. We stood by for 7hrs as the planes flew over and refueled over us. the drop was a suscess. hopefully they will find they don't need all the gear that was sent down. They did send a message saying they liked all the freshies that were sent down. I wish we could of got some too. oh well only 5 more weeks and we will have the 4 flights of win-fly, bringing people and supplies (freshies!!!!) to help open the station for summer. we will be getting a additonal 200-300 people down here. since we only have 194 down here right now its going to give us instant growing pains. well thats all for now update you again later when i hear more. Tim

------------------
    safety is not luck it is a decision

trevor
    Firehouse.com Guest

very interesting reading. when down here in aussie ( partiuliay melbourne) drop us a line and would interested in showing u around

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

There's an article with a picture of the "dome" in today's Long Island edition of Newsday. It should be accessable (sp?) by Internet. I don't know the address off hand.

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

well looks like I might not be getting out of here as soon as I thought. There is a good chance I might be on Ice until Nov. So that is going to change my travel plans a little bit. Now I am going to habg out in New Zealand for a few weeks and then go home. So sorry trevor I won't be able to take you up on your offer this time. Maybe when I leave the Ice next time. I should be back down here in Jan 2000. for the 2000 winter over.
    On the 14th of Aug we will be having our sunrise polar plunge the last of the winter season. then on the 20th we should get our first flights of win-fly (winter flights) weather premitting. It starts getting pretty nasty this time of year I'm told. It should be interesting. well enough for now talk to ya later. Tim

------------------

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

well all it is just a few weeks now and I will be going traveling. win fly is over and we have 8 more ff's down here to help us open up the station. along with 200 other people that came in at winfly. and we got FRESHIES!!!!!I did the final plunge of the winter and it was great -45f, water temp 28f. I have had a lot of fun down here in the last year but I am glad i will be going home to see family in a couple months.well not much else happening down here bye for now Tim

------------------

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

I forgot to tell everyone I updated my homepage address is on first message check it out. Tim

------------------

jaxff
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

Hi from Sunny Florida !!

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

well Hi again I thought I was going to leave today but now I am staying till the 2nd of Nov. We have the new crew of firefighters in for the summer season. We have 4 returning firefighters(LT'S) and like 28 new firefighters. the station is a mad house after just 10 firefighters for the entire winter season. I am learning names left and right but they keep showing up...lol I will be back down here this coming winter season I should be back in jan. today is the 1st ever landing of a C-17 in Antarctica.

2 days ago the C-130's that are going to the south pole to get the Dr. arrived. They are waiting for the weather to become favorable so they can safely land and depart the south pole. We are just about in full swing for the fire dept and runway operations. on the 22nd we will be getting the rest of the C-130's that will be down here for the summer.

I will try to let you know when the rescue mission is complete. I am at the runway every other day, for airfield fire support. well i had better get back to work now talk again later. tim

------------------

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Hello Turbotim66,
    I just sat down and went over some of the old posts and it sounds like you have your work cut out for you.
    The next time I think that things are bad because were short staffed or the weather is rotten I will just think about the old posts.
    How many fire and medical calls do you get during your stay?

STAY SAFE

------------------
    AJM108

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

not nearly enough calls. but that is a good thing. that means our fire prevention is doing its job. We had 8 actual fire calls, about 45 medical calls. we also had about 100 false alarms/panel alarms. every building is protected with alarm sytem straight to the firehouse. During the summer we also operate the runway. we had over 400 flights which means about 800 hard stands.
    the DR. is now off the "ICE" and had no problems with the flight out.
    I have my flight out schedualed for the 8th of Nov now and that is confirmed. then off to NZ for some much needed R&R. I should be back down here in Jan or Feb.

good luck to everyone and stay safe
    Tim

------------------

AJM108
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

First off I'm happy to hear about the DR. I hope everything goes well with her.I defintly agree that 8 fires is a good thing when as an engineer you have to run 3 trucks and do it wearing a pack and with the weather you have to deal with it's got to be tough.Well anyway good luck on your r&r.

stay safe

------------------
    AJM108

Brian Johnson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Tim:

You the man. I just checked out your web site (Saw a little more of you than I bargained for - Nice Tattoo!). What an incredible adventure. I'm sitting here wishing I was single, man I'd sign up in a minute. Anyway stay safe down there. If you ever get to Japan look me up,we'll find a nice beach to thaw out on. Enjoy and stay safe (and warm)

Brian

------------------
    Brian Johnson
    Asst. Chief, Training
    MCAS Iwakuni, Japan

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

well all I am back down here in Mcmurdo after a short 45 days off the "ICE". I am the B shift engineer for the 2000 winter over. My contract is good until Oct then I have asked to stay the summer as well so I will get out of here in Feb of 2001. if all goes as planned. I just wanted to bring this back to the front so more peoiple could read it. Tim

------------------

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

G'day Tim

I hope your season under "Down Under" goes well

Spread the word - International Firefighters' Day is May 4th http://go.to/InternationalFirefightersDay so I hope you all celebrate it down there.

Stay safe

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade,
    Victoria, Australia

Fireman Ry
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I saw an advertisement in the back of one of my Firehouse magazines for a job down there. Not only are we nuts for running into a burning building, but that is even worse. I hate the cold weather as it is. Just a tad bit too cold for me.

------------------
    Ryan B.
    Stay Safe

Ward Watson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know Phil Hayward? I've been trying to locate him for several months. He was a volunteer with me in Colorado. If you do please have him contact me via e-mail at ward_watson@yahoo.com. Thanks alot. Stay safe.

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Ward Yes I know Phil He works down here during the summer. He left in Feb don't know if he will be back in Oct or not. sorry i couldn't be more help. If I see him I will pass on your e-mail address

Ward Watson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Great! I really appreciate it.

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Well hello again,
    well just 3 months left until we get "freshies" in(people and veggies). The weather has been cold here lately, - 96f was the cold last week. The average is around -50f for the last week. We haven't had many calls This season (thankfully) and we have got alot of the winter over tasking done (tested 11,500' of fire hose). We did it early this year. Last year when we did it it was cold out(about this time of year).
    We have already done our first mass casualty drill (while it was still light out) and we are waiting for 2nd one. I have updated my home page with some more pics. I know some of the pics of rooms aren't there yet but I am working on that. Laters Tim

------------------

FireRebel
    Firehouse.com Guest

I know of a few firefighters from my area that have went down to the Ice.....Jim Hathaway......sounds like a great adventure, heck of a learning experience.....stay safe!

PAsquadboss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hello from PA, and welcome!!!!

PAsquadboss
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hello from PA, and welcome!!!!

turbotim66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hey ward Phil will be down here again in the end of Aug.
    update:
    Winfly is fast approching and we are getting all the ARFF rigs ready. we will get freshies again on aug 21...YEAH!!the sun has started to lighten the horizon and will rise above it on 20aug For the first time since the end of Apr. the time has flown this winter and things are going good. laters Tim

------------------

Ward Watson
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

turbotim66,

Thanks for the info on Phil. I was able to meet up with him about a month ago, while he was in Denver.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread Information