Thread: Fire-Related Quotes
04-22-1999, 07:38 PM #1BryantFirehouse.com Guest
I've collected fire-related quotes for quite some time and thought you folks might like to share them. I came up with some of these but by no means all of them. Some are modified to fit the job.
To anyone who created any of these I'd like to thank you, to anyone who wants to use them, feel free.
If you have any you'd like to share, I'd love to hear them.
Thanks and stay low
THE ZEN OF FIREFIGHTING
BY BRYANT ROSS WITH THANKS TO SGT. MICHAEL HATCH
* THE FIRE WILL NOT WAIT, CARRY ON, NO MATTER WHAT
· FIREFFIGHTING IS A PROCESS, NOT AN EVENT
* WHEN YOU CAN, IF YOU CAN, DO IT NOW.
* LOOK TO YOUR LEADERS, FOCUS ON YOUR FOLLOWERS, IGNORE THE REST.
* THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR TRAINING.
· TO THE PUBLIC YOU'RE NOT JUST A FIREFIGHTER, YOU'RE THE FIRE DEPARTMENT
· WHEN THEY SAY "SOMEBODY DO SOMETHING", YOU'RE THE SOMEBODY THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT.
* LEARN IT LIKE YOU DO IT.
* HIT IT HARD, HIT IT FAST, DO IT RIGHT.
* NEVER DO NOTHING.
* LEARN ALL THE JOBS, AT SOME POINT YOU'LL HAVE TO DO THEM.
* KEEP CURRENT.
* WHEN ON SCENE, ALWAYS REMEMBER, THOSE AREN'T VICTIMS, PATIENTS OR CIVILIANS, THEY'RE PEOPLE.
* LEAD YOUR PEOPLE, NEVER DRIVE THEM.
* IN ALL CONFLICT REMEMBER THE HUMAN ELEMENT.
* LEADERS CAN ONLY POINT THEIR UNIT IN ONE DIRECTION OR ANOTHER, BUT SUCCESS IS LARGELY DETERMINED DURING THE HOURS SPENT GUIDING, COACHING AND TEACHING.
* NEVER ENTER A FIRE WITH SOMEONE WHO IS BRAVER THAN YOURSELF.
* LOOK AROUND, OFTEN.
* IF YOU MUST RUN AWAY, DO SO QUIETLY, SCREAMING LOOKS BAD ON THE NEWS.
* IF YOU HAVE PRAISE FOR SOMEONE, SAY IT LOUD.
* WHEN THE TEAM WINS, IT WAS THE TEAM THAT DID IT.
* WHEN IT'S DONE RIGHT, SAY SO.
* KNOW YOU'RE THE BEST.
* BRAVERY CANNOT EXIST WITHOUT FEAR.
* LEARN THE JOB, KNOW THE JOB, DO THE JOB.
* KNOWLEDGE IS POWER BUT EXPERIENCE IS A FORCE MULTIPLIER.
* WATCH WHERE YOU'RE GOING AND REMEMBER WHERE YOU'VE BEEN.
* ANYONE CAN FIGHT FIRES BUT ONLY A FEW ARE FIREFIGHTERS.
* MAKE UP YOUR MIND IN ADVANCE TO LEAD, FOLLOW, OR STAY OUT OF THE WAY, THEN DO IT!
* SCREWING UP IS HOW WE LEARN
* HOPE THAT IN THE END THEY MISTAKE YOUR SCREAMS OF TERROR FOR SHOUTS OF DEFIANCE
* SUBTLETY HAS NO PLACE ON THE FIREGROUND
* SOMETIMES IT'S GOING TO HURT
* SHARE THE WORK
* BEING POPULAR CAN GET IN THE WAY OF BEING AN EFFECTIVE LEADER.
* RULES ARE FOR THE GUIDANCE OF WISE MEN AND THE OBEYANCE OF FOOLS.
* YOU MAKE YOUR OWN LUCK.
* ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, BUT WHAT'S LIKELY TO HAPPEN?
* TIME IS OFTEN THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SUCCESS, FAILURE, LIFE AND DEATH.
* WHEN YOU LEAST WANT HIM IS WHEN MURPHY IS LIKELY TO APPEAR.
* GRIPE, BITCH OR COMPLAIN, BUT NO SNIVELING.
* NOTHING WILL SAVE YOUR *** AS OFTEN AS THE BASICS.
* DON'T CONFUSE BEING IN DOUBT WITH BEING CONFUSED.
* NO PLAN SURVIVES THE FIRST THREE MINUTES OF A FIRE INTACT.
* KNOW WHERE THE SPLATTER ZONE IS BEFORE IT HITS THE FAN
* IF THE CREW ISN'T FOLLOWING, IT'S BECAUSE THE LEADER ISN'T LEADING
* MAINTAIN CONTACT WITH YOUR PARTNER.
* THERE ARE NO REFEREES ON THE FIREGROUND
* IN THIS GAME THERE IS ONLY ONE RULE, WIN.
* IF IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE EASY, A CIVILIAN WOULD DO IT.
* PRIOR PLANNING, DON'T RELY ON DIVINE INTERVENTION OR YOUR BRILLIANT ABILITY TO IMPROVISE.
* REMEMBER AUDI, ATTITUDE, UNDERSTANDING, DISCIPLINE, INTEGRITY.
* FIRE HAS NO MERCY.
* I DON'T CARE WHAT ANYONE SAYS, ENTERING A BURNING HOUSE IS NOT THE ACT OF A SANE PERSON.
* ASSUME NOTHING.
* TEACH BY EXAMPLE.
· LEAD BY EXAMPLE
· BE AN EXAMPLE
* NEVER MAKE AN EXAMPLE OF SOMEONE ELSE (UNLESS IT'S POSITIVE)
* SIZE-UP BEGINS WHEN THE PAGERS GO OFF.
* IF YOU SEE SOMETHING WRONG, SPEAK UP.
* PRACTICE FIRES ARE REAL FIRES.
* ONE CAN NEITHER LEAD NOR FOLLOW WITHOUT TRUST.
* IT'S NOT THE EQUIPMENT THAT DOES THE JOB BUT THE PEOPLE USING IT.
* CREATE THE PLAN, IMPLEMENT THE PLAN, MODIFY THE PLAN.
* IF YOU WISH TO EXCEL, DECIDE TO EXCEL
* " OR DIE IN THE ATTEMPT" SHOULD NEVER BE THE LAST LINE OF YOUR PLAN.
* KEEP LEARNING.
* GET SERIOUS OR GET OUT OF THE WAY.
* IF IT WASN'T YOU THIS TIME IT COULD BE YOU NEXT TIME.
* FIRST CLASS TRAINING RESULTS IN FIRST CLASS FIREFIGHTERS,
SECOND CLASS TRAINING RESULTS IN THIRD CLASS FIREFIGHTERS.
* LEARN YOUR LIMITS, SET YOUR GOALS, THEN RE-LEARN YOUR LIMITS.
* LUCK IS FOR THE POORLY TRAINED
* GIVE THEM THE JOB, GIVE THEM THE TOOLS, GET OUT OF THE WAY.
* LEADERS SAY "FOLLOW ME"
* DO WHAT YOU PRACTISE, PRACTISE WHAT YOU DO
* THE FURTHER YOU ARE FROM THE LAST, THE CLOSER YOU ARE TO THE NEXT.
* WINNING WITHOUT CHEATING IS A HOLLOW VICTORY.
* AND FINALLY, WHEN IT ALL GOES WRONG IT WILL BE YOUR MATES THAT SAVE YOUR ***, WE ARE FAMILY, REMEMBER THAT.
Our job is to save lives
as many lives as we can
at the cost of our own lives if need be
there is no particular logic to the mathematics of this
and damned little glory
but there is tradition
and there is honor
and that's enough.
Carry On Gentlemen
05-07-1999, 05:20 PM #2big docFirehouse.com Guest
Great sayings...I'm going to borrow a few and
put them on plaques to hang in our lounge.
EngineCoGirl has a great signature you might
want to include in your sayings...
"Real heroes wear SCBA - not capes"
05-07-1999, 07:39 PM #3e33Firehouse.com Guest
Thanks alot sir, I will keep those for use in the future. Its handy to have a few good lines to use especially in motivational and training atmospheres.
05-07-1999, 08:16 PM #4P BishopFirehouse.com Guest
GREAT quotes. I have printed them out to
use. I have read a lot of quotes from Chief Brunacini and these are new ones to add to the list!! Thanks
05-08-1999, 02:03 PM #5RevMark98Firehouse.com Guest
Excellent quotes !!!! you'd be surprised how many can be used in sermons as well..and not just to encourage firefighters!!
Be safe. Come home.
Because HE lives I can face tomorrow
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)