Lt.3506
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Hello from IllInois...

Hello, I am a Eight year vet. Of the Fire-Rescue dept in my area, I have just be elect. Lt. in my Dept. I am loking forward to pass on the knowage that I have learned in my past. I enjoy severing the town I live in, as a Fire Rescue member. And I look forword to learning new things as a Lt.

If any other Officers out there could drop me a note on how to go about things in genearal please write back. Thank You

Capt. Skippy
    Firehouse.com Guest

LT.3506,

Congradulations. I guess I have one small gem of wisdom to impart. Always remember that you do not, will not or can not ever know all that there is to know about the job we do. That is why we have experts that know a lot about one subject (i.e., extrication - Ron Moore). You have to be willing to say, "I don't know the answer to that FF Jones, but I'll find out and get back to you." and then do so, promptly. It is amazing how much respect that can gain you in a short period of time.

If you ever have any specific questions to situations or just general questions, please e-mail me and I'll be happy to help if I can. Ofcourse, if I can't, I'll find out and get back to you!

Stay safe!

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey Lt...
    Welcome to the machine. I made Capt. in Dec 96 so am still a rookie too, I guess. (we don't have lts.) The April 99 issue of Fire Engineering has a good article titled "The Pre-alarm Duties of the Engine Co Officer" Although it doesn't sound like it, the article is slanted toward being a new officer at a (new) station...I thought it was pretty informative and had some ideas I liked. Check it out if you can find one.
    I think you'll find a lot of interesting ideas in here (the forum) also...I know I have. I've seen many good ideas from smaller and larger departments than mine that have piqued my interest...keep an open mind and see how some of this stuff could be adapted to fit your department.
    My email is muzquite@aol.com and I'd be happy to swap stories,hints, etc anytime.
    Lee
    watch yer topknot

BVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Just a couple of words of advice (since I'm sure you'll get plenty more!). First, don't EVER "forget where you came from". Second, don't forget what you learned on the way, and how you learned it.

mfgentili
    Firehouse.com Guest

Congratulations Lt.3506

Always lead by example and remember you cannot demand the respect of your crew, it must be earned. You must respect them also. Lead and others will follow. Dictate and others will resist. Whenever possible include the members of your company or crew in decision making but remember you have the final say when there is conflict. Keep an open mind but be firm in your convictions if you know you are right. Good luck to you in your new assignment.

Lt.3506
    Firehouse.com Guest

You are following in the foot steps of a great officer and friend remember what he has said and follow his lead and all should go well. Good luck and stay safe.

firemedic106

Rick Decorie
    Firehouse.com Guest

Congratulations on making the grade. I agree with all the advice so far but here's another bit. Never stop learning. Subscribe to as many fire service publications you can, take as many classes as you can, and learn from as many old-timers as you can.
    Feel free to e-mail me anytime with questions, comments, etc. I'll be glad to help a fellow Lt. from Illinois out.
    Stay safe. Rick DFDE2LT@aol.com

[This message has been edited by Rick Decorie (edited May 20, 1999).]

Thread Information