Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread

Thread: Home Safety

ENFD240
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Home Safety

Hello all. I was looking for suggestions on a home safety class I was asked to give at my place of work. Besides the usual "smoke dectors / don't use too many extention cords /and don't forget the CO detectors too" information, does any one have suggestions for other topics that usually aren't covered in home safety classes and pamphlets? Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

PTFD21
    Firehouse.com Guest

You said this was at work, but it is for the adults about home safety, maybe you could have a class and include their children. Include what a firefighter would look like if they were coming to save the child from a burning building. Many children we have encountered at open houses have become scared when they see a firefighter in full SCBA.Face it we are not the most lovable looking guys and gals when in our SCBA's.

ED C.
    <a href=http://members.aol.com/PT10FD/info.htm">Pittsfield Twp. F.D.</a>

BVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree 100% with PTFD21. I recently did a short presentation at my sons pre-school. We all had a great time. I did don full gear and SCBA, and made sure to breath air.(to let them hear that "eerie" sound). Most of them had never seen that before, and my own son even started crying! One other thing that goes over well (with kids), is letting them squirt the booster line (with you helping to hold it, of course). Well, hope this helps. I realize it won't work as well for adults, but keep it in mind for your next school visit!

Dean C. Olsen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings to all from Arlington, Washington.

Our fire department has a fire safety program that starts early in our schools. Every year during fire prevention week we go to each and every class room of our schools for k-2 grades. At these short presentations we do as suggested above.

We have one member in his dress unifor, and one member in Full bunker gear with SCBA, breathing air as they enter the room.

We teach the importance of Stop, Drop and Roll. We tell the children the importance of notifying adults when they find mathces or lighters, for they can not only injure or kill themselves, but everyone in the house. We tell the children of the importance of rolling out of bed, staying low on hands an knees like we do, and checking doors for heat. We instruct the children on the importance of time when a smoke detector goes off, leave the hose and go to your family meeting spot. Always plan ahead.

With the traing, I have seen a drop in our structural fire responses in the past ten years. If you get to the children when they are young and impressionable, it stays with them.

Good luck and stay safe.

------------------
    Captain Dean C. Olsen

ltvfdemt
    Firehouse.com Guest

One thing you get from adults is they will ask questions about how to lessin the effects of damage to there home if it were to catch fire. Remeber to include tips like closing doors begind them or securing valuables and documents in a fire retardant container. You could create a checklist of things you come up with and pass them out in your class. Be sure to cover chemicals in the home, fuel storage (i.e., gas, propane, etc.) and explosives. During a visit to a neigbors house I noticed a large box of fireworks sitting next to the furnace. That's just asking for a disaster. Cover the big issues, but also small ones. Smoking in the home, candles, cooking fires, and even making toast on the counter below a cabinet full of paper products. I remember a kitchen fire we responded to once where the homeowner was making toast, opened the cabinet above full of bills and recipes, etc, and walked away. A small shift in the contents of the cabinet and there went the whole kitchen. I'm sure they will be suprised at the dangers in their home and any advice you give will be better than what they had before.

JAY FROM OHIO
    Firehouse.com Guest

There are some really good suggestions. We also teach fire extinguisher use. You can explain PASS and if you have the opportunity let them extinguish a (metal) trash can fire. We also discuss sleeping with your doors closed, home fire escape plans, 2 means of egress from ANY building you are in and determining a family meeting place. We encourage people to do a home inventory of their home and put the vidoe tape of it or the paper documentation in a fireproof box to keep them prepared just in case. Make sure they have their house numbers clearly posted and they know the safety tips related to wood burning stoves and fire places. If you need any literature email me at nozzlegirl@excite.com ang I'll get some stuff in the mail to you. Another great and generally free source for information is insurance companies. Take care.

fhchefs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Readers,

Just a note, our TV production company has just posted a topic in regards to a TV show we are producing entitled "Firehouse Chefs" We are searching for firefighters to appear on the program cooking their fav firehouse recipes as well as talking about fire safety, nutrition and fitness and other related topics. If interested please see our web-site at: http://members.aol.com/fhchefs/home/index.htmor give our company a call at: 503-267-4660 Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Chris Pfeifer
    Executive Producer
    Firehouse Chefs, Inc.

fhchefs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Readers,

Just a note, our TV production company has just posted a topic in regards to a TV show we are producing entitled "Firehouse Chefs" We are searching for firefighters to appear on the program cooking their fav firehouse recipes as well as talking about fire safety, nutrition and fitness and other related topics. If interested please see our web-site at: http://members.aol.com/fhchefs/home/index.htm..or give our company a call at: 503-267-4660 Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Chris Pfeifer
    Executive Producer
    Firehouse Chefs, Inc.

Thread Information