Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Happy New Year Julie Jane,
    I wasn't on duty New year's Eve but my brother was, He's on the Big Red Bed. That was quite a fireworks display! Any overtime pay for firefighters involved?
    I sent some family and friends out to look at your, and your friends, web sites because they are nicely done.
    Can I borrow your little pumper?

------------------
    EXJAKE

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Happy New Year to you too ExJake!

I'm not sure if there was any overtime pay for firefighters working on New Year's Eve. One organisation did give out $30 meal vouchers as a recognition though. The volunteers in my organisation all gave up our time out of the goodness of our hearts!

You are more than welcome to borrow your little pumper - I did the same from a site which was providing fire related gifs free of charge. I just can't remeber the address any more though. Sorry!

The weather here in Victoria has changed yet again ... floods after Christmas to winter cool style temperatures back to hot and dry fire weather. Our fire season this year will be a late one with additional growth from the unexpected wet period.

Stay safe

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade,
    Victoria, Australia

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

G'Day JJ,
    I borrowed your little Pumper and found it's made up of 28 parts. That's a lot of animation to put together.
    If you could find the site with free fire stuff, that would be good!
    We just had our first snow in 303 days.Winter isn't what it used to be in Northeastern, United States.
    We rode in open cabs and standing on the backstep,no matter what the weather,when I was a young firey.
    I had to come back and tell you I'm in touch with an Australian named Mal through primus.com. He said they lost 5 people in a bushfire 12 months ago and 12 people in one bushfire in 1983. Are you familiar with these incidents?
    ------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE:-)

[This message has been edited by EXJAKE (edited January 14, 2000).]

Lt.Todd
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

FireBabe: Iam a Lieutenant with Atlanta Fire here in Ga.I was just wondering if you dept will be involved with the Olympics . I guess you remember the problems we had here. I was on the third due engine the night of the bombing.If you are let me just give a quick hint, the venue sites are so protected theres not much chance of a major incident, its the public sites that deserve the most attention.5 days prior to the bombing all the first due companies to the park did a walk through and were aware of all the entrances and exits,it proved to be the most important walk through we ever did.
    Be safe down there and if you ever need any advice or assistance please feel free to call on me.

Lt.Todd Edwards
    AFD Co.10/B

Polarbear
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hey!! Longtime no see! Havent seen you on in quite a while in the ICQ area...and low and behold I became a member here and who do I see? Why the one and only who from what I heard made a very successful "World Firefighters Day"...Congrats on all the hard work. Sorry to hear about the crappy weather there. Winter is really starting to get normal here in Northern NY. Below zero temps and starting to snow again. Well, good to see you again and hope to converse some more.
    Be safe and take care!

Robert Schorr FF/EMT/HMT
    Northpole Fire Co.(Watertown NY USA)
    Town ofPamelia Fire Protection Area

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hiya Folks

My apologies for the delayed reply but my modem has been dead for the past fortnight due to a VERY close bolt of lightning!

The weather is strange here for a summer. Last week we had very high temperatures, strong winds and low humidities - very typical and dangerous fire weather with some severe outbreaks accross the state. And now? Cold and wet!

I'll try to get on again soon and answer your questions - I'm a little tired now.
    ZzzzZZzzzZzzz!

Take care and be safe -and thanks for all your friendship.

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

[This message has been edited by FireBabe (edited January 23, 2000).]

Aussie Fire
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Well fancy running into you here JJ,alls quiet on the fire front so far this year ,catch up with you soon

Paul
    Narre Warren

------------------
    Its the resistance to fear and the mastery of fear -not the absence of fear that makes a good F/F

aussie george
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

giday jj stay safe down in mexico (for non aussies ,joke as in south of the border)regards aussie george senior firefighter nsw fire brigades sydney australia.

SKEETER243
    Firehouse.com Guest

AUSSIE'S, WALLABIE'S, DINGO'S - OH MY!!!
    Are these nicknames for LOCAL people or are they creatures that really exist? Here on Long Island we're just surrounded by people from all walks of life. Ain't seen a 'CROCK' since the visit to the Bronx Zoo.

Welcomw aboard,
    Keep the stories coming from 'down under'!!!

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Oh my! You've all been busy whilst I've been offline!

G'day Paul ... you will pop up in the most amazing places!

Life is good but busy here at the moment with lots of training and assessing of current skill levels (to a minimum standard) a huge priority.

ExJake - you asked about the loss of firefighters here in Victoria. We lost five thirteen months ago when the fire behaviour changed unexpectedly and they were trapped. The Coroner will be investigating the matter shortly. The other tragic incident that occured was the loss of thirteen firfighters in 1983 when they were caught by a viscious wind change which changed the flank of the fire into the head. Much more detailed information of the tragic circumstances can be read at: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~nwfb/ under the heading Ash Wednesday (Aussie Fire set up this page).

Lt Todd you mentioned the Olympics ... they will be occuring in New South Wales (the state to our north) where aussie george comes from. It is unlikely my organisation will be involved however aussie's will be in the thick of it. I hope our preparation will be as thorough as yours obviously was!

Take care everyone

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Summer is well and truely here with temperatures soring in the high thirties to low forties (ummm I think that's well into the hundreds for the imperial thinkers amongst us!). To top it off we have industrial action causing a power restriction - ie no airconditioners right through the afternoon for the next half week.

Someone PLEASE send some cool air our way down here! lol - take care all.

JJ

21TFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Please check out the posting from !RESQRON30!
    You might be able to help him out.
    Stay Safe.

Commish
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

I commend you on your dedication to the fire service. I too feel the passion to educate and inform individuals and communities the importance of fire safety. I will pass this information along to my brother & sister firefighters. Thank you.

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Angry

After attending a major motor vehicle accident (MVA) on Saturday night I wonder yet again, why people continue to drive whilst under the influence of alcohol.

A 19 yo with no licence (he lost it for speeding) drank heavily on Saturday night before heading off to visit his girlfriend at 3.30am. An hour later with three more drinks under his belt and a nasty temper he proceeded to "hoon" up and down the dirt road at excessive speeds until he finally (and literally) wrapped his car completely around a power pole.

Crews from three ambulances (including the air ambulance), four police vehicles and four fire and rescue vehicles struggled for about an hour to free him from the twisted wreckage and stabilise him enough to fly him to the intensive care unit of the city's major hospital. Amazingly he survived. Head injuries and a collapsed lower lung seem to be the most major injuries.

We spent three and a half hours on scene - many of us never saw our beds that night having had many turnouts in the previous hours. It's a pity these drivers don't think of the volunteers, emergency personnel and their friends and family when they engage in life threatening behaviour. I'm only truely grateful that he a pole and not some innocent bystander's vehicle in his drunken drive.

Here in Australia we have a famous realistic and shock ad campaign - extremely graphic and lifelike showing the tragedy of poor road behaviour (speeding, drinking, exhaustion). One of it's most famous mottos is: "If you drink then drive you're a bloody idiot" How true.

What campaigns or deterents do your countries employ to stop the carnage on the roads?

JJ (with apologies for the soapbox but I'm still fuming over the pointlessness of such an accident)

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Oh and on a much lighter note ...

Happy St Valentine's Day eveyone!

JJ (Below: me in a silly mood!)

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

G'Day JJ nice picture. how's your summer going? Our winter can't make up it's mind if it's coming OR going! Just messy mate real messy.

------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE:-)

Rico_CA
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

G'day to you Lt. Have a safe one.
    Rico

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hey this is exciting - look at the date ... it's finally MY BIRTHDAY! A whole 24 hours to celebrate - Whoo hoo!

I hope all of you non-Leap Year Babies out there appreciate the fact you have so many chances to celebrate. I have another 1461 days till my next birthday. *Sniff*

Stay safe all

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

aussie george
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

happy birthday jj hope you had a few cold VB's to celebrate with.

TeeJay
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hope you had a very happy birthday, JJ. So what's that make you- about 6 years old? By the way, can you tell me if the folks in Australia refer to us in the Northern hemisphere as "up over"? Stay safe.......

Thread Information