Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

HAPPY(belated) BIRTHDAY, Julie Jane

Here's looking at you kid!!

------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE:-)

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks for all the birthday greetings - I feel very grown up now I'm 8!

Actually I'm off to the Formula 1 Grand Prix for the next few days as a Fire Marshall. I've been placed on Corner 14 which is one of the notorious corners on the track - well known for the accidents. At least I wont get bored!

Stay safe out there and start planning for International Firefighters' Day on May 4th.

Happy International Womens Day tomorrow (8th of March) to any females reading this too!

Regards

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade,
    Victoria, Australia

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Thanks for all the birthday greetings - I feel very grown up now I'm 8!

Actually I'm off to the Formula 1 Grand Prix for the next few days as a Fire Marshall. I've been placed on Corner 14 which is one of the notorious corners on the track - well known for the accidents. At least I wont get bored!

Stay safe out there and start planning for International Firefighters' Day on May 4th.

Happy International Womens Day tomorrow (8th of March) to any females reading this too!

Regards

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade,
    Victoria, Australia

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

G'day again!

I was right - Turn 14 was busy! Apart from Pela de Rosa and Panoz wrecking their F1 cars on the day before the race, so did Coulthard - VERY spectacularly. They were all following the example set by Michael Schumacher (the eventual winner) in his Ferrari the day before when he spun out of control and totally disintegrated his car. He actually hopped out uninjured.

The position of Fire Marshall for the Grand Prix is voluntary and only able to be filled by an experienced firefighter. We wear heat cotton overalls treated with the fire retardent Protec (?) with high collars, elastic wrist and ankle cuffs and cinched in waists. Heavy woolen socks, leather boots and gloves, thick, tight woolen balaclava (tucked in), fire retardant treated tabard and a woolen cap complete the uniform. Add very high temperatures (mid 30s celcius - well over 100F I think), no shade and long periods fully dressed - and you have a tough day. We had to be on track and prepared 12 hours a day for four days.

I'm still tired now so I'd better go crash! (in bed - NOT the car!!!)

Who else has had unusual tasks related to firefighting?

JJ

Les.H
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi,

Just got back in time from a derelict house fire to watch the race (3am). Shame about the Brits, but that's a different story.

The best calls that I've been on differ some what. I was on the crash crews at RAF Fairford when the two Russian MiG 29's decided to head butt each other during the flying display. Looked spectacular and the best bit was that no one got hurt. It was a case of each vehicle trying to locate the biggest bit to put out. Crews ejected and landed nearby.

Also on the Windsor Castle Fire in 92, which was a site to behold. Shame about the history going up in flames but it was a call not to be missed.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed the race.

Kindest regards & keep safe

Les (UK)

EXJAKE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hi JJ, Just thought I'd move you up to the top where you belong!

Just keeping an eye on you!

G'Day then

------------------
    Good Luck and be careful out there,EXJAKE

[This message has been edited by EXJAKE (edited April 17, 2000).]

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey folks!

Me again - just letting you know that I've updated and moved my website. Please pass on the address of the International Firefighters' Day proposal so that we can truely unite as a brotherhood worldwide and recognise and thank current and past members of our "family".

Take care and stay safe

JJ

Lt JJ Edmondson
    Clyde Cardinia Fire Brigade
    Victoria, AUSTRALIA

I walk where the fire dances

International Firefighters' Day:
    http://www.futureweb.com.au/edmondson

Firefox
    Firehouse.com Guest

Dear JJ:

How do you manage to get this amount of reponce. It is FANTASTICO!

I hope ( I am sure) that the International Firefighters' Day will be a reality
    Take care.
    "We are soldiers in a war that never ends"

Thread Information