Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Greetings from a firey Down Under.

I'm a female Lieutenant in a volunteer firebrigade in Victoria, Australia. Like many of you I have an insatiable thirst for learning & developing skills to help me protect life and property.

I am also employed in my fire organisation in community education co-ordinating a state-wide fire cadet program for secondary schools.

As a firefighter, I am also an Instructor and Assessor at the State and National levels and am "married" to the service because I never go home!

I believe strongly that people who are firefighters anywhere in the world are very special people and need recognition and thanks for what they do. After the tragic deaths of five of my collegues late last year in a bushfire I facilitated an international discussion panel on the net to develop an International Firefighters' Day and symbol.

The first Day has been held with MUCH support worldwide however to help it grow it needs YOU to spread the word. Please visit my home page and check out the page on this special day. Feel free to link to it or pass it on to others - it is for YOU - YOUR day and YOUR symbol. A symbol of hope, thanks and rememberance.

Be safe out there.

Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Clyde-Cardinia Fire Brigade,
    Victoria, Australia

Scoco
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the forum, stay safe.

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks Scoco. I think I'll enjoy surfing this site - it has a look of great info.

Where are you from? Have you been to Australia before?

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the group

------------------
    David Brooks, Firefighter, D/O
    Newmarket Fire Department
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    http://www.NewmarketNH.com/Fire

fhchefs
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello Readers,

Just a note, our TV production company has just posted a topic in regards to a TV show we are producing entitled "Firehouse Chefs" We are searching for firefighters to appear on the program cooking their fav firehouse recipes as well as talking about fire safety, nutrition and fitness and other related topics. If interested please see our web-site at: http://members.aol.com/fhchefs/home/index.htm
    ..or give our company a call at: 503-267-4660 Thanks in advance.

------------------
    Chris Pfeifer
    Executive Producer
    Firehouse Chefs, Inc.

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

I've just realised I forgot to post the address of the webpage on International Firefighters' Day. http://go.to.InternationalFirefightersDay

Please visit it so that you can spread the word over sharing memories and thanks of brave firefighters worldwide on the one day.

Take care and be safe.

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

hylo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the site, I am a firefighter from Dublin Ireland.
    You are the second aussie that I have come into contact with on the site, its great for making good friends around the world.
    Hope you enjoy it, and good luck in the Rugby world cup finals.
    Hylo.

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Hi Hylo

Thanks for the welcome! Australia's had an interesting day today with the referendum vote ... in case you haven't heard we're sticking with you ... and the Rugby World Cup on as I type (Aussies leading by three!).

I love these forums when fireys from all over the world CAN make friends with people of similar interests and dedications.

Stay safe out there - the fire is hot and hungry.

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

hylo
    Firehouse.com Guest

Oh My god, If you ever think we would take on the Queen as a head of state, kiss my ***.
    What were you guys thinking of, as long as you have the Queen, you are under the rule of Britan.
    We as Irish Made a stand, and we are free of her apron strings.
    Any way firefighter will always be firefighters worldwide, so I trust you have an opionion of your own.

Hylo.

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

35 to 12 - Aussies are the world champs!
    (Sorry folks - I just had to slip that one in!)

Actually Hylo, Victoria (my state) were the only ones to vote FOR the republic ... 50.1% but that's enough of politics ... as long as they don't get in the way of us doing our jobs protecting the community.

Although we've had rain for the last two days I'm worried ... we are the lowest rainfall total in _decades_ ... worse than th seasons which killed 13 firefighters and 74 public (1983) and hundreds of people (1939).

Take care and stay safe out there.

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

Firebear323
    Firehouse.com Guest

JJ,
    Hey how's thing's down under? Ok, I hope. Just wondering if you ever visited a fire dept. in new york state? I don't remember the young ladies name. So I thought there might be a chance.

------------------
    Jeff

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

G'day Jeff

Sorry I didn't get to that side of the US ... I only had time to bounce around LA (and stay one night at an LAX fire dept) for a brief time (1 week in total). I stayed mainly in fire stations all over Europe for the three months of my travel.

I really MUST get back OS and back into the fire stations ... I miss you guys!

BTW When did the girl visit your department? Was she also an aussie? And if so - which state?

Take care and enjoy Firehouse Com.

CYA

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

[This message has been edited by FireBabe (edited November 14, 1999).]

mesha
    Firehouse.com Guest

Welcome to the site JJ. As a new member myself , I look forward to the opinion of others around the world, where it applies to the Fire Service. I wish you well in your endeavours.

PS. Congratulations to the Wallabies in their World Cup endeavours. Had the chance to catch a few games while over in Wales, but unfortunately not the championship game.

Tim Bennett. Walden Fire Department. Ontario. Canada

Firebear323
    Firehouse.com Guest

JJ,
    It was probably about a year ago this past september. Can't remember where she was from exactly, I'll have to ask some other guys in my dept. when I see them and get back to you.

------------------
    FF J.H. Vandermark
    Vestal Fire Dept.
    USA

Firebull
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Hi JJ
    My name is Mike, I'm a volunteer FF in Ontario,Canada. I like what I heard when you were talking about the cadet programs in high schools. I'm 26 and have been a FF since 21. I know if students in Canadian schools had that type of program option, our fire depts. in Canada would be even better thean they aree now. I hate to scrutanize but some city depts. I have applied to, hire people that leave me shaking my head. Politics and who you know seem to carry too much weight in selection processes. Is this problem world -wide? Do you see any of this in Aussie land? p.s. The Aussie Accent is my fave! Greg Norman is the greatest!

------------------

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hiya Folks!

Just wishing you a fabulous Christmas and bug free New Year's celebrations!

Christmas here in Australia was a hot day - almost 30 degrees celcius (ummm over 100 F?)-so it was seafood, salads and cold meat for our meals outdoors under a shady tree! We had one fire (a small grass fire) in the middle of the afternoon otherwise we were luckily fairly quiet.

I hope you all have a safe and fire free holiday season.

Regards, JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

craig7404
    Firehouse.com Guest

Cool

Hey JJ even though you have been a forum member longer than I have welcome anyway. Loved your web sight and look forward to hearin from you in the future.

------------------
    Good Luck And Be Safe
    Captain
    Craig Lambert

lunchbox
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hey how is going down under well it i theday after christmas here. can you please redo the web site that you want us all to see.

------------------

morning and have a good day

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Hi folks... it's happened again! Typical Melbourne weather means that although we had an extremely hot fire day for Christmas today and yesterday are remarkable for the rain, wind and cold! In fact there has been major flooding in many areas!

Our fire organisation feels we have checked everything for Y2K compliancy and have many contingency plans in place. One of those plans to ensure we can respond personnel is to have us wait on station from 2200 hrs on New Year's Eve until 0200 hrs on New Year's Day. Our brigade thus is holding a party at the station Friday night. (No drinking for the duty crew though)

What are other people doing Friday night? Many people in my area will be going into the city for mega big fireworks and huge millenium concert (which I'll be singing in).

BTW Lunchbox ... what do you want me to do to my site? I don't have much time and need to find an expert to help me change it ... so all suggestions are welcome!

Take care and a Happy and Safe New Year to all!

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

FireBabe
    Firehouse.com Guest

Talking

Happy 2000 to you all!

I'm delighted to say that here in Australia all our hard work and preparation against Y2K (including having Crews on standby at the fire station for much of the night) seemed to be sucessful in that nothing happened! (Touch wood!) We will still be put on standby however again for February 29th (My Birthday!) as it is the other "date of concern"

I hope you all had fabulous New Year and Y2K free celebrations!

JJ

------------------
    Lt JJ Edmondson,
    Victoria, Australia

Thread Information