Thread: SCBA'S

WFD203
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default SCBA'S

I AM INTERESTED IN FINDING OUT ABOUT PEOPLE USING CAIRNSAIR PAKS, INTERSPIRO, AND SCOTT PAKS. WHAT ARE THEIR PROBLEMS? WHAT DO THEY LIKE ABOUT THEM?

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

As far as the Interspiros go, I used them the last few years I was in the air force. I found them comfortable to wear, especially the mask, BUT, I never could seem to get the pack tight enough. Also, the low air warning bell/whistle stinks and the regulators tend to freeze up, even in warm weather.

Jeff

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

We have 8 Cairns Pioneer 4500 psi SCBA in service. There are 6 on the rescue and 2 on the crash ambulance. All of our bottles (16) are 45 minute 4500psi wrapped aluminum. We also have 4 cairns SABA for confined space rescue. We opted to use the Cairns Pioneer for a few reasons. Compatibility with our FD was a major reason, fit/comfort was also a factor,visibility from face piece, and others as well. At the time Scott had not introduced the new fifty series airpack yet. Overall the units are average. They are fairly comfortable, but a bit heavy with the larger bottles. The bottle coupling is difficult to connect at times. The units are simple to operate though, so they are very easy to train on and use in high stress conditions. We also have a bit of a freezing problem after longer uses, but its never caused a major operating problem.

The new packs have the 30 min 4500psi bottles which are very lightweight and make wearing a breeze. All airpacks have air inlets so they can be hooked to a supplied air source for confined space operations and such. We didnt get the integrated PASS or Heads Up display due to cost factor primarily.

Masks are very comfortable and have a wide field of vision and low profile. Voice is clearly heard through speaking port and side connect air makes profile lesser. Masks come in small reg and large. Highest replacement part has been o-rings. Thats mostly a user issue. The packs are capable of accepting any size bottle from any manufacturer due to an adjustable retention band with ratchet lock. So if someone else uses a scott 30 min 2200psi cylinder, it will fit the cairns pack.

Overall, we are happy with the units, never had a major problem and they suit our needs, plus having compatibility with other agencies is a plus.

Thread Information