Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
    Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Fire Buff Forum -- Calling All Fire Buffs

Calling all buffs ... Here's a suggestion -- let's start a forum for fire buffs from around the world. What is your interest? Do you belong to a club? Are you or have you ever been active in the fire/EMS service, paid or volunteer? I'm interested in the history and operations of the FDNY radio and telegraph systems. I served as a Vol FF/EMT from 1985-1992 at the Cherrydale Volunteer Fire Dept. in Arlington, VA., just outside Washington, D.C. Now, I edit a newsletter for the Arlington County Fire & Rescue Association. Calling all buffs ...

Administrator

Excellent Suggestion Vinny...we may consider adding such a forum if the interest is there...so speak up if you're interested

Firehouse.Com WebTeam

Diane
    Firehouse.com Guest

Guess I fall under this category:

Port Jefferson (LI, NY)Volunteer FF for 9 years (includes one year as a junior explorer).
    2 BS's in Fire Science from UNH, CT.
    CT and NY EMT for 2 years (let it expire -- didn't use it -- don't have an ambulance at the fire house).
    Certificates: NY and CT Haz-Mat Operations, Incident Command Systems, National FF 1, CT FF 1, NY Basic, NY Advanced, Suffolk County Fire Safety Education,LI Water Rescue, Rapid Intervention and Heavy Rescue pending......That sounds like them all.
    Memberships: Suffolk County Fire Safety Educator's Association, IAAI, Women in the Fire Service, SCCC and UNH Alumni Associations.
    Co-Editor and one of the founders of The Pager, the PJVFD quarterly newsletter.
    Misc.: intern for CFSI(DC) in 96 and 97 and lived at the College Park (MD) fire station.
    Interests: the Net, politics, Firehouse Mag. (of course), Fire Engineering, Firehouse.com (fave. web-site ), bowling, Rangers and Yankees!

Vinny, hope this is something that you are looking for.......Back to work!! LOL.

------------------
    B.S. Fire Science Administration
    B.S. Arson Investigation
    UNH Class of '97

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thanks Diane!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you WebTeam ... I'm interested

[This message has been edited by Vinny Del Giudice (edited June 21, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Well, let me keep this ball rolling ... One of the best buff books out there these days, in my opinion, is Jim Griffiths' FDNY Operational Reference, 3rd Edition. It covers all aspects of FDNY ops, from firefighting tactics and HAZMAT response, to EMS and fire alarm. Its 185 pages are packed with information. Does anyone have any other favorites that focus on a department's operations? Buff handbooks? Thanks!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

On the fire buff newsletter beat, I received a copy of the latest Wagon Pipe newsletter from Washington, D.C.'s Friendship Fire Association. It's 8 pages chocked full of photos, incident reports and FIRE/EMS news from the nation's capital and surrounding Maryland and Virginia communities. There's also a column on Baltimore. FFA volunteers operate the canteen unit and rehab unit for DCFD. I plan to post more info on buff books and newsletters in the days ahead. What other buff newsletters and books are out there? Cheers for now. Vinny.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

My suggestion du jour ... www.firebuff.com ... A wonderful website about the Fire/EMS service in the Boston area ... Check it out ... Other buff suggestions welcomed. Cheers.

HiTecVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

A good book to get is: Report From Engine Co. 82 by Dennis Smith.. It is a good book for all fire personnel and all non-fire folks to read. I believe everyone entering in the service needs a copy..

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

RIGHT ON! And the 25th anniversary edition is back with a new section by Dennis Smith. Thank you.

Rob
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sounds like a great idea. I'm a Captain - Emergency Medical Responder with a Paid On-call department in Alberta, Canada. And I work in the communications division of the city of Calgary Fire Department. I would welcome talking to other "buffs" who also have an interest in photography of fire operations. (I'm trained as a photojournalist)

------------------

Capt 2004
    Firehouse.com Guest

Great way for the camaraderie in the fire service to continue!! I'm one of three captains of the Rockdale Volunteer Fire Department, Rockdale, IL. where I have been a member for 16 years. I have moved up through the ranks, from firefighter to engineer to chief engineer to captain. I'm hold the following State of Illinois certifications: Firefighter III, Fire Apparatus Engineer, Haz-mat First Responder & Instructor I. Besides supression, my position includes research & purchasing of equipment for the department. I'm looking forward to making more improvements to the department in equipment for the members to use in the years to come. I'm also a member of the Fire Buff's of Illinois. I'm also a dispatcher on the Firenet Chicago alpha paging group which covers most of Illinois & parts of Wisconsin & Indiana. Along with that, I dispatch on Tri-County Fire alpha paging group which covers Will, Grundy & Kendall Counties in Illinois. As with most things in general, I wish I had more time to buff, with working a swing shift job and a family, it just doesnt leave much time. I hope your page is successful with all of its great intentions!!

Joe K.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Thank you Rob and Capt. 2004!

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings! I've been visiting family in Colorado. I had some free time to do some "radio buffing." Three good channels to monitor if you're on the road in Colorado -- Denver Fire Dept. 154.070 Mhz (Simulcast of trunked system); Boulder Fire-Rescue 154.325 Mhz; Denver suburbs 154.130 Mhz. You'll hear a variety of apparatus, from traditional engines to squirts and quints.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Here's a good fire buff book -- "We Have a Box Working" ... The Pittsburgh Fire Dept. By retired firefighter John R. Schmidt, who lives in Mt. Lebanon, PA. Great photos, color and BW. Good writing. Thorough research. Complete list of box alarm locations. Pittsburgh is home of IAFF Local 1. Fire service history and folklore
    at its best. Published in 1997.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Keeping the ball rolling ... In the scanner department: When in the nation's capital, tune in DC Fire/EMS Channel 1 ... 154.190 Mhz ... Very busy, very interesting. Cheers!

WWFD86
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hi i am a career firefighter from West Warwick Rhode Island. I have been on the job for 9 years an I am assigned to a station which crossmans an engine and a ambulance. We get out fair share of fires a year. We do approx. 2900 fire calls a year an 4500 EMS calls a year. I am also an avid firebuff. Ienjoy freelance videography I am a board member of the Providence Citywide Fire Network fire buff club. We operate 4 notification repeated frequencies covering all of Rhode Island south eastern Massachusetts an eastern Conneticut. We are a very active club. We have one of the biggest fire buff web sites with live dispatch of Providence an Boston, past audio of area fires and past video of area incidents. If any of you are in the area please e-mail me an i can hook you up with those frequencies an any new ones being used by area departments. I will be at this years expo, arriving on Friday. Hope to see some of you.

John

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you John WWFD86! Great report. Cheers.

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Attention FDNY Buffs: Have received word that FDNY has officially added the radio signal 10-77 for a full first alarm assignment for high-rise residential buildings. This is along the lines of the radio signals 10-75 (full first alarm assignment) and 10-76 (commercial high-rise buildings.) Regards.

e33
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

What units fill out the box on a 10-77?

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Hello E33 -- According to Jim Griffith, author of the FDNY Operating Reference, there are not as many special units assigned to a 10-77 as there are a 10-76. But Jim says the Mask Service Unit will go on a 10-77. And Jim also says an incident commander can upgrade a 10-77 to a 10-76 if conditions warrant. Cheers! Vinny

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

For scanner buffs visiting the DC area, a few more frequencies: Fairfax County, VA dispatch 460.575 Mhz. Montgomery County, MD dispatch 154.160 Mhz. Arlington County, VA dispatch 154.130 Mhz (simulcast of 800 Mhz trunked system.) Prince William County, VA dispatch 154.325 Mhz. Charles County, MD dispatch 158.775 Mhz. Cheers.

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Great idea Vinny...

I happen to be an avid fire buff and also find myself lucky to be employed as a firefighter. I've been on the job about 10 years and I work for two departments; the Golf Manor Fire Dept & Fairfax/Madison Place Fire-Rescue, both located in suburban Cincinnati, Ohio. I hold the rank of Lieutenant at both and love the job.

On the buff side, I'm a member of the Cincinnati Extra Alarm Fire Association, as well as a member and dispatcher for FirePage Ohio (FPO/D605). I launched and manage the <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Village/9981">Cincinnat F.D. Unofficial Web Site</A>. I enjoy most anything fire related - from Cincinnati's colorful fire service history to fireground and apparatus photography.

If you ever want to know what's happening in Cincinnati, just ask...

Stay safe & best wishes!!
    Mark Milliron

[This message has been edited by Ladder66 (edited July 21, 1999).]

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you Mark and thank you for listing your fire buff website. I am a reporter by trade and got my start in Ohio working part-time for UPI and the Dayton Daily News. I covered the police and fire beat in Springfield, OH in Clark County in the late 1970s. (I went to school at Wittenberg University.) Here's a question for you: Who operates the Fire/EMS service at the Cincinnati airport? I know it's in Kentucky. Thanks! Vinny.

Ladder66
    Firehouse.com Guest

Smile

Vinny,

Fire and EMS services for the Cinti/N Ky Int'l Airport are provided by the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport Fire Department. They have no affiliation with the Cincinnati F.D. They are their own entity operating under the auspices of the Kenton County Airport Board. I actually used to be a police/fire dispatcher at the airport for about 5 years, so I'm pretty familiar with their equipemnt. The CNKIAFD (whew) operates three Oshkosh T-3000 crash trucks, a Pierce/Bronto Skylift (135'), a Simon-Duplex rescue-pumper, a typical Seagrave pumper, a Dodge V-10 Rapid Intervention Vehicle, Command Van, Mass Casualty Unit, an ALS ambulance, and a small army of Blazer's and Pickup's for the Chief's and various bureau officers. Most of the above equipment is less than 7 years old. The Seagrave (a 1984 unit with pump and roll ability) is slated for replacement early next year. All public service agencies on the airport (police, fire, maintenance, etc) operate on a 7 channel Ericcson analogue trunked radio system (for those of you with the new BC-245 Trunk Tracker). The fire department keeps pretty busy with many EMS calls, fuel spills, Alert II's, and the occasional fire.

Sorry to have rambled on.... Any other questions, let me know and feel free to drop me an e-mail.

Stay safe!
    Mark

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Thread Information