Rocky
    Firehouse.com Guest

Default Physiological Stress of Protective Gear

Hello!
    I'm a Volunteer FF with the West Carleton FD which is located about 30 miles west of Ottawa, ON , Canada. I've been a volunteer FF for about 3 years in the past and was just hired back on after I got back from being away at school for 5 years. We are the second largest Township in the province of Ontario and our Dept has 18-20 peices of apparatus, 1 full time cheif and about 125 volunteer FF.
    I am also a Kinesiolgy student (Human Kinetics, Physical Education etc...) who is working towards finishing a undergraduate Thesis in the same area. What I have proposed to do my researce project on is the physiologicl effects of a Firefighters protective gear(bunker suit, S.C.B.A. etc...).
    The procedure that I will follow is to have all participants complete a obstacle course wearing full gear and then again wearing no protective gear aside from boots and gloves. Each participant will have their blood presure, heartrate, and precived fatigue level recorded and then a comarison will be drawn between the to results.
    I would like to hear anybodys comments about my proposed topic. Any ideas would be welcome on how to make it better, or if you know if it hs been done before, where, by whom and what the results were.
    Thanks in advance, stay safe and see you at the "BIG" one.

Jay,

BURNSEMS
    Firehouse.com Guest

Sounds like quite a venture, have you conciderd measurement of End Tidal Vol as Well as any changes in Blood Glucose during Stress, Good Luck

Phil4601
    Firehouse.com Guest

Jay,

Your research project sounds very interesting. I am a volunteer firefighter/paramedic and make my living as an emergency department nurse. So I can appreciate your physiological questions of stress.

I think the idea of a course is very good. In addition to vital signs you may check pulse oximetry, end tidal CO2, tidal volumes, lactic acid could prove interesting. If I can think of anything else I'll let you know.

Good Luck and you should post your results here. I think it could bring a lot of interesting discussion.

Phil

Capt2405
    Firehouse.com Guest

Rocky:

You might contact The University of Illinois, Urbana, IL. About 6 years ago they did an extinsive study on FF edurance, Phsycology, etc. with a number of FF of various ages and physical ability. I think that the study is on going, it may be a source of information to get your project going.

Good luck, hope you get the results published in ine of the trade magazines.

Capt2405

Thread Information