KNOBMAN
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post WAGON AND PUMP

ARE ANY CAREER DEPARTMENTS STILL OPERATING WITH THE WAGON/PUMPER CONCEPT? WITH MIN. MANNING AND MONEY CUTS THIS CONCEPT SLOWED DOWN ABOUT 10-15 YEARS AGO. JUST BEING COURIOUS. LATER KM

------------------

UNION AND PROUD OF IT!

Fyrtrks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

I am not sure about other places. I do know Syracuse NY uses the Maxi/Mini concept The Maxi is a 50' Telesqurt on a custom chassis and the Mini is a 500/500 (i think) on an International Chassis They run with 5 in the company. If it's a Mini call two guys go and if the company is needed only one is on the mini he it the Hydrant man.

Rochester uses a Quint/Midi conceptThe Quints are Large full size Quints I don't know about manning or much about Ops.

In the Az area they use tenders for the smaller stuff.

I may be full of Bullsh*t but it's not on purpose if I give false information.

snake_eng313
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Hey whats up?
    Just wanted to drop you a line and tell you that in the internet world large cap letters mean you are mad or upset with something or someone. But its no big deal. Have a great day and sorry I don't know anything about your topic.

Snake

snake_eng313
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question

Knobman,
    Saw your union statement at the end of your message. Can you tell me a little about it.

Snake

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Kid,

I know that Knobman would agree with my post concerning the Union. I copied this verbatum from the IAFF website (hwwp://www.iaff.org)

What is the IAFF?

The International Association of Fire Fighters is an AFL-CIO affiliated labor union representing more than 225,000 professional fire fighters and emergency medical personnel in the United States and Canada. IAFF members protect more than 85 percent of the lives and property and are the largest providers of pre-hospital emergency medical care in the U.S.

How can you reach us?

For general assistance, call 202.737.8484 (202.737.8418 fax). or write to International Association of Fire Fighters, Department of Public Relations and Communications, 1750 New York Ave. NW, Washington DC 20006-5395.

Who do we represent?

In addition to city and county fire fighters and emergency medical personnel, the IAFF represents state employees (such as the California Forestry fire fighters), federal workers (such as fire fighters on military installations), and fire and emergency medical workers employed at certain industrial facilities.

Beginnings

One of the oldest public employee unions in America, the IAFF was formed in 1918, at a time when many fire fighters were required to live in firehouses and be on duty 24 hours a day every day with only the occasional day off. Back then, civil service laws were few and almost all pay, promotions and other benefits came and went at the whim of local patronage.

Results

Over the last 79 years, the IAFF has been a leading force for numerous advances for the fire and emergency services, including:

passage of heart, lung and other disability laws to protect fire fighters who become ill from on-the-job hazards
    enactment of federal benefits for the survivors of fire fighters killed or totally disabled in the line of duty
    establishing progressive civil service laws in the U.S. and Canada
    enhancement of public safety through national standards
    ensuring professionalism and high standards of training and education for fire and emergency personnel
    establishing training programs for hazardous materials emergencies
    establishing minimum staffing requirements for fire fighting
    An eye on the future

Because fire fighting is still one of the most dangerous occupations in America, one in three fire fighters is injured in the line of duty every year. The IAFF is extremely active in promoting occupational health and safety, working to include all fire fighters under federal OSHA protection, and supporting national standards for safe apparatus, equipment and practices.

Fire fighters are extremely active politically, fighting for better public safety at every level of government -- local, state and federal. IAFF members live in every congressional district in the U.S. and all across Canada.

Doing good

The IAFF supports numerous charitable activities. It is the largest national sponsor of the Muscular Dystrophy Association, underwrites scholarships for the children of members killed in the line of duty, and supports research into the treatment of and rehabilitation from burn injuries through the IAFF Burn Foundation.

I see from reading your profile that you are a career firefighter. I also see from your question that you are not a union firefighter. I highly recommend getting your department affiliated with the IAFF. You may not need it now, however, as the faces chjange in your department's administration, the privileges extended to you by being Union will help when the need arises. For further info, check out the IAFF's website.

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Brother Knobman,

My department has three 2pc. Companies, and a fourth 1pc. Company. However, our's aren't the Pump and Wagon. Two of our 2-pc Co's are an Engine and Ambulance, and the third is a Ladder and ambulance. Minimum manning for these Companies is 5, w/ 3 on the firrig and 2 on the EMS rig. There is slight autonomy with our ambulances, as they aree able to respond w/o the other piece. There's one Captain, and the ambulace is under their responsibility. On big calls (fires & mva's, et al.) we operate as one company. A fairly nice setup, I think. In my Company, we all rotate thru so nobody gets stuck for very long in one spot. There IS talk of adding a midi pumper or light rescue (pickup w/ utility) to work as a third piece to the Ladder Company, but as I stated, it is TALK. Hmmm....

Take is easy, Bro!

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

John Berryman Jr.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Washington D.C. F.D. was into two piece companies big time,but donot know if they still are,many budget cuts have hurt them very bad.

------------------
    JWB

Thread Information