Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    Joseph A Charley Jr.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question Truckmans Belts?

Alright all you truckies/truck gods, I have a couple of questions I am hoping you can help me out with. I am thinking of buying a leather truckmans belt for my vol dept, do they still have a place in todays fire service? Also, what type of tools and equipment do you recomend to carry on them. I am looking forward to your advice.

------------------

resqcapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Wink

Truck gods, has a nice ring to it! OK, seriously, I use a truck belt but not a leather one. I use the gut-belt which also double as an escape belt if needed. I carry a flashlight and a personal search/escape rope. Anything more tended to make it heavy and akward.

Does it still have a place in the fire service? I say yes. Especially for crews operating in a building without a hoseline. Great place to temp. tuck a tool to free up the hands also.

Well, back to my truckie throne, I will impart more wisdom at a future time! LOL!

Stay safe,

Steve

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I have a leather tool belt, and I love it. I keep two things attached to it. One is a leather tape-measure holder, with the center strap removed. I use this to hold an axe (flat- or pick-heads fit great). On the other side is an M16 ammo pouch. I keep a 4 way screwdriver, pair of pliers, pair wirecutters, and one genuine-imitation-leatherman-type tool. (The last one is a piece of crap...been meaning to lose the darn thing, just never remember to. If you're gonna get one, spend a little more $$ and get a (c)Leatherman of (c)Gerber. They're the best.)

I definately recommend truck belts. I am going to replace mine with one of those (c)Gut Belts. The only reason for the switch is we are starting to get those self rescue rope kits, and I just don't really trust my leather belt (been wet, and dried in the sun, and showing signs of rot) to hold my weight. If it we'ren't for that factor, I'd stay with the leather. (Tradition!)

Hope it helps.

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

Joseph A Charley Jr.
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thank you both for your advice. I really like the idea of the M16 mag pouch for small tools because I am a US Marine and it just struck me kind of funny. How can I get my hands on one of these (c)gut belts? Thanks again and I look forward to any more advice.

Semper Fi - Stay Safe

------------------

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

You can get them from fire service vendors. I've seen ads in the trade mag's, and I'm sure there will be some for sale at the IAFC show here in KC later this month.

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

resqcapt
    Firehouse.com Guest

Contact XTREME Rescue Technologies @ (815) 332-7058. Web site is www.xtremerescue.com They designed and sell the gut belt.

Steve

Thread Information