Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post Routine Calls

Allow me to get on my soap box for a few... I've been involved with the fire service for 22 years now in military and volunteer departments. One thing I am certain of there is no such thing as a routine call. We never, never know what we will face when we arrive on scene or what will transpire on scene. How many times have we (I) responded to a "smells & bells" and found heavy fire. Or responding to a single car low speed MVA to find a fatality. These are only a few of the many examples. This point was hit home to me (HARD) by the response in MidWest City Oklahoma that led to Fiefighter Clark's death and Firefighter Shipman's being injured. We just don't know so please do not get complacent. Our job is not routine and we are not routine people. Ya'll are my brothers and sisters and I deeply care about each and every one of you.
    Lets all make it home after the next one.
    May God truly bless you all and keep you safe.

Jeff

HiTecVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

You are right. We all need to treat each call seriously even if it is nothing at all. The life of someone , especially your own, may depend on it. And don't get discouraged if it seems that you are the only one that takes little calls seriously, set an example and others will follow...

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

Good points!

One thing I'd like to add is to remember this: We respond to OTHER people's emergencies. They are not OUR emergencies. Take your time (no, don't dawdle) to size up properly and act safely. Do things right--the first time.

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

Davidjb
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Good points and reminders from everyone, caused me to take a look at my attitude on responses and I found I was in that routine mode.
    By the way Nsfirechap, you look good up there on your soapbox!

------------------
    David Brooks, Firefighter, D/O
    Newmarket Fire Department
    Newmarket, New Hampshire
    http://www.NewmarketNH.com/Fire

Vinny Del Giudice
    Firehouse.com Guest

I agree 100%!

Phil4601
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

I could not agree with you more! Though some emergency incidents may have similar traits, no two are the same. Thus, there are no routine calls. Each incident must be given the same tenasity for safety no matter if the call is for pumping a basement or a working fire. Remember most of us get killed and injured responding to and returning from the scene of an emergency. These times are when many firefighters seem to fall into the automatic modes of epinephrine response and relaxed return. We must be alert for anything at any time!

------------------
    Phil
    Stay Alert & Stay Safe

BigJohn
    Firehouse.com Guest

I'm sure this is way off topic... but anyway...

Our small department gets on average 5-8 calls per week (all fires/mva's, etc). In the last month (more like 2 weeks) we've had a certain kind of call that's getting to be routine.

About 2 weeks ago, we had a report of a 1-vehicle mva,unknown injuries or entrapment. We had a truck on scene within 30 seconds (happened to be in the area). There were no drivers/passengers...just an S10 Blazer. Come to find out the guy had no driving privileges, etc. But that was pretty weird.

Then less than a week ago, we had an S10 pickup rollover off the side of the highway... arrived on scene, truck upside-down in ditch, smashed up pretty bad... and GUESS WHAT?

Yup... no driver/passengers...

I thought we were cursed or something... really puzzled us...

Just thought I'd add that... anyone else have similar "routine calls"?

P.S. Lo and behold, we did have an mva a couple days ago that actually did have people still on scene... what a relief!

Y'all stay focused and stay safe!

------------------
    John Higgins
    Perry Twp. VFD
    Lawrence Co., OH
    http://ptvfd.ntpowered.com/

nsfirechap
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

John,

We get a lot of the same type of calls. Just this am we responded to a full size blazer rolled leaking copious amounts of fuel and yup no driver. We get these calls fairly regularly-especially in the wee hours.
    Jeff

[This message has been edited by nsfirechap (edited August 21, 1999).]

Dalmation90
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Or the opposite...where you have a victim whose walked to a house at 1am on a rainy night...and it takes you an hour to find their car! Been there, done that...if the person didn't get out on their own, goodness knows how long it would have taken for someone to find them as the car's headlights where on (!) and it still took one fire truck, a couple POVs, a wrecker, and a state trooper driving up and down the road to find it.

I hate catch phrases...but...Complancency Kills.
    Matt

Thread Information