Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    BFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

Post standpipe/sprinklers

I would like to know which pumper is responsible for charging a standpipe and/or sprinkler system? Is it the first in pumper or the second in pumpers responsibility? Can you refer me to related reading? Thank You!

BVFD
    Firehouse.com Guest

This question is best left up to a dept's SOP's. I do know that IFSTA recommends that the first in engine supply the systems, but in some situations, this is just not practical. Check out the Essentials text if your interested.

------------------
    Learn all the jobs, at some point you'll have to do them

Hammerhead338
    Firehouse.com Guest

It depends on what your department wants. In my department the second in hits the hydrant and then hooks up to the standpipe.
    That leaves the first in to go and find out what is going on, and hit the standpipe if there is a fire.

Sledgehammer57
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Departmental guidelines will determine the policy or procedure. What you should keep in mind is that IF THERE IS FIRE the sprinkler head does not have to force entry or search out the seat of the fire. It is already there and the sooner the domestic supply is supported by an engine the quicker the fire will be controlled with the least amount of danger to personnel.

STBURNE
    Firehouse.com Guest

Factory Mutual has some good literarure on this topic. They recommend that the first in Engine support the FDC on a working fire. As Sledgehammer 57 stated, the sprinkler head already has a "line" stretched, has already located the fire, and has numerous other "lines" in position ready to assist if the first head is overwhelmed.

The supported sprinkler system is protecting all means of egress for occupants, this is difficult for the first in engine to accomplish on it's own, but not so if they support the sprinkler system right off.

Dean C. Olsen
    Firehouse.com Guest

Greetings to all from Washington:

My reply to the original question would be to have the first in Engine supply the sprinkler system. This is necessary in order to assure that an adequate water supply is available to the operating sprinkler system.

It should be common practice to attach a single 5 inch line to the Fire Department Connection, or at least two 2 1/2 inch lines, and these should be charged any time that the water motor alarm is sounding.

When the alarm bell is sounding and there is no confirmed fire, the hose line should be charged and maintained at 100 PSI. When there is a confirmed fire the presure should be increased to a minimum of 150 PSI. This would be considered a good operating procedure to assure good fire protection to a sprinklered structure. The common sprinkler system is not designed to extinguish a fire, it is designed to contain the fire and allow occupants to escape safely.

Stay safe.

------------------
    Captain Dean C. Olsen

Thread Information