Why register? ...To Enhance Your Experience
Closed Thread
    drewg181
    Firehouse.com Guest

Exclamation Advice for an "older" job seeker

Fellow firefighters, What advice can you share for a 36 year old without formal certifications, but some formal training in firefighting and medical response who honestly (this is not mid-life crisis stuff) wants to make the service his career? With a military background and its structure that I miss, I humbly feel that I can serve well, long, and with honor to myself and my department. I know all this sounds quaint and all -- it is not meant to. My employment position and my home's location has removed me from being able to serve on a volunteer department, but the two years that I did serve elsewhere got me bit by the fire bug really badly, and I need to scratch that itch. All advice, opinions, possible leads in the west central Indiana region are appreciated.

drewg181
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I accidently break any protocols or misplace a question. I posted the root of this discussion without better identifying myself... Drew Gehman, Woodstock GA. 2 years paid on call..Camargo Countryside FPD, Douglas Counry IL. First Responder in IL., active past participant in an industrial fire/rescue brigade. Thanks to all.

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Drew - from someone who was a volunteer firefighter for 6 years and has been a career firefighter for 12, my advice to you is to select a career department that you want to work on, and take their Civil Service test. Many or most full-time departments work 24 hours on and 48 hours off, so perhaps your current full-time employment can become a part-time job. One firefighter on my department gave up a job as a mechanical engineer to become a firefighter. He's still doing the engineering on a part-time basis, for the same employer, but he's not making near the money he could as a full-time engineer. But he wants to be a firefighter.

So go for it!

(If you want to move up here to northeast Ohio, we'll be giving our Civil Service test this coming Spring.)

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

drewg181
    Firehouse.com Guest

Thumbs up

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I too am an engineer, but an electrical one. Vocationally, I'm a manager and it just isn't hands on enough. Is there any profession more hands on then the service? Not that I'm interested in! And boy would I take a pay cut! But that's ok. I never expected older rookies in the fire service to be so well accepted. I've got my application into my department as a volunteer as my first steps into returning to the service.

drewg181
    Firehouse.com Guest

I am about to recieve an application for employment with a top-10 sized department. What would a "snot-nosed" 36yr old rookie need to expect if I should decide to pursue this through appointment?

Thread Information