Thread: UNIFORMS

mfdengine5
    Firehouse.com Guest

Question UNIFORMS

okay, i just got put on our clothing committee...we're currently wearing t-shirts and blue workpants...what is everyone out there wearing, i'd like info on polo style shirts - pros/cons - and if any of you are wearing shorts? i've got ideas, but would like your input....

------------------
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Lightbulb

Per contractual agreement our department supplies the firefighters with:

Golf shirts, T-shirts, cotton work pants, socks, shoes, belt. (that's the class C uniform);

Sky-blue uniform shirts with department patches, double-knit pants, badge and name tag. (the class B uniform, not worn except for special details where you *shouldn't* get into any fires);

Double-breasted suit coat and matching pants, with FD buttons on coat and hash marks on sleeve where applicable (officers). (class A uniform, worn to funerals).

Also, the department supplies a winter jacket, a knit cap, a sweatshirt or light(er) jacket, and complete turnout gear including Nomex (tm) hood and leather gloves.

What was your question? Oh, yeah, the shirts. THe golf shirts are cooler to wear in the summer, since they can be worn comfortable without a T-shirt underneath. They're cheaper to buy and easier to care for than uniform shirts. More and more FDs are going with golf shirts, so you'll be identifiable as a firefighter.

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

Ledbelly
    Firehouse.com Guest

(Wow, I like [all] those uniforms Ed)

We are issued light blue long and short sleeve uniform shirts and black pants. (Just this year are we getting 65-35 pants instead of 100% polyester) Now that is what the department issues everyone; we also recently pushed for a T shirt-type "work" uniform, different pants and shorts for hot weather. The City did switch to the 65-35 pants but nixed the T shirts because of the "look". We went back to them with the golf-polo type shirt and managed to get that approved. So, we are allowed to wear a dark blue golf-polo shirt, EMT/BDU style pants and/or shorts if forecast is for temps above 80. The drawback is that you have to purchase them yourself if you want to wear them. We do get our uniforms cleaned free however(at local cleaners) and they will do even privately purchased ones. As it stands, the Captains are responsible for deciding if/which shirts are appropriate wear.
    The only drawback/complaint I have about the golf-polo style shirt is their "length of service". The shirts have silk-screened emblem, name and rank that do not seem to maintain appearance for long while. I also occasionally miss having 2 buttoned pockets, the golf-polos come with/without single pocket, no button.
    As an aside (for Ed)...besides bunker gear, the only other uniform equipment we're issued are a winter coat and windbreaker. Class A uniform for funeral, etc. is long sleeves with a tie FF buys themself.

blackhat
    Firehouse.com Guest

Our department changed from 65-35 to Nomex uniforms. Shirt and pants are about $100.00 But it beats having polyester melt to you. I also hear 100% cotton works as well as nomex. Nomex extinguishes the fire, and provides a protective char on the fabric. It ain't cheap, but neither am I. Everyones goal is to see the wife's and kid's faces in the morning. wearing golf shirts is asking for trouble if you fight fire. PBI will hold the heat off you for about 20-30 seconds then you get hot as H---. Look into the bottom line, your men will appreciate it. Keep your leather together.

------------------

Truckie from Missouri
    Firehouse.com Guest

My department issues us tshirts and polo shirts. Except we are only allowed to wear the tshirts for working out, station work, etc. Reg's mandate the polos the rest of the time.

The polo's SUCK. They rip out easily, and they look good only until you wear them in gear and work hard. Then they get crappy.

Just my humble opinion.

------------------
    Proud Member of IAFF Local 3133!

Stay safe.
    Ken

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Red face

Hey, Ken, maybe you guys need to try a different supplier - I've got polo-style (or golf-style) shirts that are a couple of years old, and still look good. The silkscreen on the left chest is starting to fade, but there's no ragged edges or wrinkles that won't wash out.

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

mfdengine5
    Firehouse.com Guest

hey ed- thanks for your reply, what brand are you guys wearing? we're looking at patches and embroidery for rank and names. do you have different colors for rank? we currently have lts. in light grey, and pvts. and drivers in navy- you can imagine how the grey shirt looks after a good fire....

Ed Shanks
    Firehouse.com Guest

Arrow

Some of our shirts are Hanes Activewear (tm) and some are Jerzees (tm). They're all navy blue, with the rank part of the silkscreen on the left chest. Up to and including Captains wear the navy blue. A/Cs have white ones.

Navy shirts have white silkscreening and the white shirts have navy silkscreening.

How's you guys end up with gray, anyway?

------------------
    E-4-A
    IAFF 1176
    RKMC MAL

mfdengine5
    Firehouse.com Guest

i'm not sure how we ended up grey, rumor has it so chiefs could figure out who was in charge, or who to blame....anyway, i'm pretty sure we're all going back to navy with embroidery for rank-that is lts. and below- our chiefs all wear white dress shirts.

------------------
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Thread Information